Lets see those 5th wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 08:37 AM
kshoop1958
More Turbo
Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Don
Please inform me, what is the big deal about being able to turn so tight with these heavy trailers? Doesn’t that kinda tear up the suspension? Just asking.
My 350 DRW or my 3500 DRW will pivot my 5er tighter than I want.
I'm with you Don. I have a short bed, B&W Companion (non-sliding) hitch, and a Lippert Turning Point (rotating) pin box. The first time I made a turn to check fiver nose to truck cab clearance I chickened out way before I got to 90 degrees. It seems to me you'd be smearing the trailer tires at the very least, and maybe stressing the frame too. But, I do see where lots of guys say they need to make a 90 degree turn to back in from narrow streets or clear obstacles. I'm not picking a fight about it, but glad I've been able to avoid the need so far!

The following 3 users liked this post by kshoop1958:
Old 05-11-2024, 08:41 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,056 Likes on 2,835 Posts
Please inform me, what is the big deal about being able to turn so tight with these heavy trailers? Doesn’t that kinda tear up the suspension? Just asking.
Agreed. Having recently broken a suspension hanger bracket, I'm a lot more conservative in how tight I make the trailer turn in order to minimize the stress on the suspension.

The following 2 users liked this post by HRTKD:
Old 05-11-2024, 09:46 AM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,542 Likes on 995 Posts
I used to have to drive to the end of my road and turn around in the cul de sac to back into my driveway and this is what happens when you make 90+ degree turns multiple times. The lateral stress on the hubs caused 2 hub seals to leak, destroyed all 4 of my brake assemblies and bent the hanger for my suspension equalizer. Having an F450 and turning that tight causes more harm than good. If you have a driveway that tight you are going to be causing a ton of stress on your frame, tires, axles and suspension every time.

The following 2 users liked this post by OBS460:
Old 05-11-2024, 09:55 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,524 Likes on 1,087 Posts
every once in a while you have no choice, but as a general rule I try to avoid the sharpest of turns.

One reason to get a RV GPS or a truckers GPS.

The following 5 users liked this post by senix:
Old 05-11-2024, 12:06 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,764 Likes on 1,687 Posts
And since my Raptor is a triple axle I definitely avoid sharp turns like the plague. Although it has happened a few times. I also use sattelite view on google maps a lot if I have any questions or doubts.

The following 2 users liked this post by Desert Don:
Old 05-12-2024, 06:58 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Home for the next week.

The following 12 users liked this post by Sous:
Old 05-13-2024, 08:20 AM
KevinLK
Tuned
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by BWST
Kevin, you have a nice rig sir. I think buying used is the best value on these RVs. Can you tell us if you experience any forward/backward jerking or chucking when you tow with this hitch and pinbox? I have a similar setup, with the Rota-flex version and steel AUH. I get a little bit of jerking when I go over rough road at times.

Do you plan to install a lockout kit on your pinbox? It's really just to limit the angle the rota-flex head can take relative to the AUH ball, and does allow some movement.

Agree in turning the coupler 180 degrees to gain side rail clearance, and though we try to avoid turns that tight to reduce strain on the trailer suspension, it's sometimes necessary.
Thanks! So far, it's been very smooth, although I haven't gotten to tow it very far yet. No complaints about the ride, though. If I keep the AUH setup, I'll get the lockouts. I'm still on the fence about keeping it or swapping it out for a Gen-Y. I did have the coupler reversed 180 degrees at first, but I hated how close to the tailgate the trailer was when hooking up. There's maybe three inches of clearance, so you'd better be square (or put the tailgate up when you get close). I decided that extending the length was the lesser of two evils.

The following 2 users liked this post by KevinLK:
Old 05-13-2024, 08:50 AM
KevinLK
Tuned
I agree 100%. That's why I tried it in the dirt. I have no intention or desire to turn sharp, but I wanted to make sure that it doesn't destroy my bed rails. I also live at the back of a cul de sac, so I have to make a u-turn to get in front of my house. It sucks, but what are you gonna do...

The following 2 users liked this post by KevinLK:
Old 05-20-2024, 11:22 AM
Ryan-PR1-Ret
Cross-Country
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Picked this up last F

riday.

The following 10 users liked this post by Ryan-PR1-Ret:
Creditcardguy, HorizontalHunter, HRTKD, kshoop1958, MKrenn, Sailor Roy, scraprat, ttavasc, turfengineer, WE3ZS and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:40 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by KevinLK
I agree 100%. That's why I tried it in the dirt. I have no intention or desire to turn sharp, but I wanted to make sure that it doesn't destroy my bed rails. I also live at the back of a cul de sac, so I have to make a u-turn to get in front of my house. It sucks, but what are you gonna do...
A friend of mine also lives at the end of the cul-de-sac. He has a bent axle on his fifth wheel and the suspension shop said it's due to turning too tight too many times. All they do is trailer suspensions and some big truck alignments. I had my trailer suspension worked on there. They're expensive, but they know what they're doing.

The following 2 users liked this post by HRTKD:
Old 05-20-2024, 12:15 PM
KevinLK
Tuned
Originally Posted by HRTKD
A friend of mine also lives at the end of the cul-de-sac. He has a bent axle on his fifth wheel and the suspension shop said it's due to turning too tight too many times. All they do is trailer suspensions and some big truck alignments. I had my trailer suspension worked on there. They're expensive, but they know what they're doing.
Not that I want to have to call them, but what's the name of the shop (just in case)? Looks like you're in my neck of the woods.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-20-2024, 12:24 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Not that I want to have to call them, but what's the name of the shop (just in case)? Looks like you're in my neck of the woods.
Denver Spring and Suspension

Nicole is the one that usually runs the front desk. She's very knowledgeable. Her husband owns the shop.

The following 3 users liked this post by HRTKD:
Old 05-20-2024, 12:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,524 Likes on 1,087 Posts
have you tried to back down the road from the turn into your cul-de-sac?

Old 05-20-2024, 01:30 PM
KevinLK
Tuned
Originally Posted by senix
have you tried to back down the road from the turn into your cul-de-sac?
I have thought about it and after seeing the damage above that tight turns can cause, it's worth thinking some more . I'd have no problem as long as someone doesn't come up behind me as I'm trying to get backed onto our street.

Old 05-20-2024, 01:39 PM
HorizontalHunter
Tuned
Received 255 Likes on 168 Posts
I have thought about it and after seeing the damage above that tight turns can cause, it's worth thinking some more . I'd have no problem as long as someone doesn't come up behind me as I'm trying to get backed onto our street.
You just have to accept the fact that they are just going to have to wait a few minutes

Quick Reply: Lets see those 5th wheels