1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2005 Expedition, aftermarket cabin air filter? (a.k.a. pollen filter)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 Expedition, aftermarket cabin air filter? (a.k.a. pollen filter)

Hi!

One thing that has bothered me a little since I bought my Expedition is the fact that Ford for some weird reason decided to toss out the cabin air filter when the 2nd gen Expedition came out. They had it in the 1st gen.

Looking at my blower unit, there doesn't seem to be any provision at all for installing an air filter, unlike some makes where this comes as an option and has a cut out ready for it. Has anyone gone about retrofitting an aftermarket cabin air filter in these? I imagine you would need one in the front HVAC and one in the rear HVAC, as I understand the rear HVAC draws in outside air from an intake vent behind the passenger side tail light or something? It's kinda dusty around here, so would be nice to have a filter like that.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
For a few years Ford offered an add on pollen filter kit ( p/n F65Z-18d477-AA ) but it's been discontinued and is no longer available. The rear A/C unit pulls in recycled air from the right rear quarter panel only, nothing from outside. Those vents you see if you remove the rear tail lights are exhaust vents for air flow when you have the front A/C on outside air and all the windows up. Best cooling is offered in the recycle mode with all windows closed.

-Mike

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...replace-3.html

Old 05-04-2015, 01:03 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Does this kit fit on the 2nd gen, and the '05? Looks like it's made for the '97-'02 1st gen series. I don't know how much difference there is on the HVAC units on these.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Alternatively, did anyone replace the heater core or evaporator on these? How much work is it to remove the plenum chamber? I have an idea on how this might be possible, but in order to install something like this it would be necessary to remove the plenum and open it up in order to fabricate the holder for the filter, and take measurements to find one that could fit. By measuring on the outside, I think the filter that is intended for the 1st gen Expy might be a good fit, but it doesn't look like there's any provision for anything like this so internally there's nothing to hold it in place.

I removed the blower today to check if it might be possible to mount a filter on the inlet, and it might but then there's no easy way of replacing it later. There's a sort of mosquito mesh on the intake from the factory. Judging by the fine dust I cleaned off the blower wheel, I suspect the heater core and evaporator are covered in that stuff. I really wonder what idiot at Ford had the brilliant idea of removing the filter that was optional on the 1st gen, if anything they should have upgraded it to a standard feature!

Old 06-13-2015, 02:47 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Well, inspected the AC evaporator with a borescope today through the hole of the blower drive module that is mounted on the side of the plenum. Man there was a lot of crud on the evaporator! Which is precisely why it's important to have a filter. I may end up replacing my evaporator after what I saw, it has started corroding in some areas and will probably develop a leak eventually. It doesn't look like there's enough room for a filter in the way the evaporator is mounted, so not sure what to do about that. I'll buy a filter and see if I can make a bracket for it when I'm in there replacing the evaporator anyway.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Replaced mine with a AFE as often as I have to change them. Took 10 minutes--several videos out there on how to do it very easy!!

Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Yep, as long as you have an '04 or older that's possible. From '05 and newer, there's no practical way to install a filter on the HVAC intake.