1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Went to smog my 98 e350 v10 in Ca,

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:32 AM
CarpetusMaximus313
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to smog my 98 e350 v10 in Ca,

The tech told me they didn't have access to "online", and "the book says my van should have 1, 3 or no catalytic converters" but mine has 2, so they couldn't smog it. Anyone else ever hear of this? The van looks stock to me, and I am trying to get a smog certificate for an ownership change. ( I just bought it)
1998 e350 club wagon xlt 168,000 miles.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:26 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go to a different shop

Old 05-02-2015, 01:00 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
x2. It might not be a Calif spec van but it shouldn't be a problem as long as it's a US VIN.

FWIW, the seller is responsible for the transfer smog certificate in California but it can be difficult to get action once you've paid. Unless it's a non-runner, make payment contingent on a smog certificate even if you have to do it at your time and expense to close the deal.

Sixto
93 E150 Chateau 5.8 190K miles

Old 05-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What a shame! The more I learn about California the more I dislike it....
It shouldn't matter how many catalytic converters it has. They should stick a meter in the tailpipe and check the RESULTS!!

On top of that: their communist regime shouldn't be allowed to require smog testing anyway... That van is 17 years old and should be exempt...

Californ-unism.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
I take it you haven't heard about California catalytic converters different from federal? On the other hand, a tailpipe test can't check every emissions scenario like a smog pump heating the cat so visual inspection is part of the deal. I'm sure there are folks that wrap test pipes in cat heat shields to pass the visual inspection since one good cat is all you need at 15- and 25 mph.

IIRC they don't dyno test newer vehicles. They check what they need to check through the OBD port. BUT all factory bits have to be in place.

Cars don't dissolve here like in other states so anything from ~1976 under 1 ton capacity gets tested. There are lots of vehicles from last century - three in my driveway - still dutifully contributing HC, CO and NOx. Fortunately, the ID E150 and MD Caravan only have to pass to federal rather than California levels. They'll buy your 11 years or older vehicle for $1000 if it gets to the retirement yard on its own.

Droughts and earthquakes keep our minds off the inconvenience

Sixto
93 E150 Chateau 5.8 190K miles

Old 05-02-2015, 08:05 PM
95E150-'rustbucket'
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cali smog follies

As a former Californian (26+ years removed from paradise), I believe I'm qualified to respond. At the time I left, the smog test rules were as follows:

Vehicles that were required to be tested, were to be tested EVERY year for 20 years from the vehicle model year and at title transfer.

The test cost $19.50 (exact change only) and was paid prior to test. The smog "tech" entered the V.I.N. into his computer, which then spit out a listing of the equipment used on the vehicle during its model year. Next came the visual inspection. If ANY equipment was missing or if there was extra, nonstandard plumbing, the test was immediately FAILED (no refunds, sorry).

A failed test could be appealed to a referee station; you had to make an appointment, since there were only TWO referee stations for the entire state.

Upon showing up for the referee test, a exhaust sniffer test was performed. Whether or not the vehicle passed, if the original failure was due to nonstandard equipment, you had to present assessments from (at least) 3 certified mechanics that the parts cost to replace the proper equipment was at least $300, in order to get a waiver. If you failed the referee test, you had to present bills from certified mechanics for $300 or more (parts and labor) or parts only, if you did the work yourself, to get an equipment waiver.

A buddy bought a '66 Corvair in '84; the previous owner had removed all of the smog equipment. Then he discovered that Chevrolet had only used the '66 gear on the '66 model Corvairs; 18 years later, the equipment was not available anywhere at any price. So he put on the equipment standardized for the remainder of the production run, which produced cleaner emissions. Of course, he failed the standard test, because he had the wrong equipment for his model year.

The appointment for the referee test was only 6 months later. He had to buy 30-day tags, 6 months in a row, and pay 3 mechanics to verify that he couldn't buy the right equipment for less than $300 and, of course, pay for the referee test for a 2 year equipment waiver.....because his car was a cleaner emitter than other '66 vehicles!

P.S. If you want a "saner" emissions state, move to Cleveland, OH, my locale for the last 26+.....Here, vehicles are only tested for 25 years but every OTHER year. And, in some parts of Ohio (mostly rural counties), there is NO smog testing'

Last edited by 95E150-'rustbucket'; 05-02-2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-02-2015, 08:59 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Im50fast
It shouldn't matter how many catalytic converters it has. They should stick a meter in the tailpipe and check the RESULTS!!

On top of that: their communist regime shouldn't be allowed to require smog testing anyway... That van is 17 years old and should be exempt...

Californ-unism.
It doesn't matter and no it should not be exempt.
Having spent a fair amount of time in Fla. I'm glad I LIVE here in Ca.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 95E150-'rustbucket'
As a former Californian (26+ years removed from paradise), I believe I'm qualified to respond. At the time I left, the smog test rules were as follows:

Vehicles that were required to be tested, were to be tested EVERY year for 20 years from the vehicle model year and at title transfer.

The test cost $19.50 (exact change only) and was paid prior to test. The smog "tech" entered the V.I.N. into his computer, which then spit out a listing of the equipment used on the vehicle during its model year. Next came the visual inspection. If ANY equipment was missing or if there was extra, nonstandard plumbing, the test was immediately FAILED (no refunds, sorry).

A failed test could be appealed to a referee station; you had to make an appointment, since there were only TWO referee stations for the entire state.

Upon showing up for the referee test, a exhaust sniffer test was performed. Whether or not the vehicle passed, if the original failure was due to nonstandard equipment, you had to present assessments from (at least) 3 certified mechanics that the parts cost to replace the proper equipment was at least $300, in order to get a waiver. If you failed the referee test, you had to present bills from certified mechanics for $300 or more (parts and labor) or parts only, if you did the work yourself, to get an equipment waiver.

A buddy bought a '66 Corvair in '84; the previous owner had removed all of the smog equipment. Then he discovered that Chevrolet had only used the '66 gear on the '66 model Corvairs; 18 years later, the equipment was not available anywhere at any price. So he put on the equipment standardized for the remainder of the production run, which produced cleaner emissions. Of course, he failed the standard test, because he had the wrong equipment for his model year.

The appointment for the referee test was only 6 months later. He had to buy 30-day tags, 6 months in a row, and pay 3 mechanics to verify that he couldn't buy the right equipment for less than $300 and, of course, pay for the referee test for a 2 year equipment waiver.....because his car was a cleaner emitter than other '66 vehicles!

P.S. If you want a "saner" emissions state, move to Cleveland, OH, my locale for the last 26+.....Here, vehicles are only tested for 25 years but every OTHER year.
Frankly , you are way out of date.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
first off I'll admit that I overlooked the idea that emissions are different at idle (in a communist-run test facility lol) than actually driving at load/speed. Sorry about that.

But more importantly, common sense indicates that a 17 year old work van should be allowed some "leeway" in regards to communist maximums: how many 1998 workvans are out there farting up the atmosphere? The pollution problem is caused by the majority, not the minority. Are there many late-90's vehicles driving around California? I suspect not.

Vettex, What could possibly be better about California? The 69cent tax on each gallon of gas you buy? Tell us, what percentage of state income tax comes out of your paychecks? (you may have forgotten we don't have that in Florida). Maybe you like a state that is going (has gone?) bankrupt? And shall we get started on Moral issues ?

California (and other "blue" states) is literally leading the way to the destruction of America (morally, financially..).
I'm not a real political type of guy, but the simple results of each party are a CLEAR indicator of which one is less destructive.

With all that said; Vettex you are one my faves on here so I hope you aren't personally offended.

Last edited by Im50fast; 05-03-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: misspellings
Old 05-03-2015, 08:32 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Californ-unism.
first off I'll admit that I overlooked the idea that emissions are different at idle (in a communist-run test facility lol) than actually driving at load/speed. Sorry about that.

But more importantly, common sense indicates that a 17 year old work van should be allowed some "leeway" in regards to communist maximums: how many 1998 workvans are out there farting up the atmosphere? The pollution problem is caused by the majority, not the minority. Are there many late-90's vehicles driving around California? I suspect not.

Vettex, What could possibly be better about California? The 69cent tax on each gallon of gas you buy? Tell us, what percentage of state income tax comes out of your paychecks? (you may have forgotten we don't have that in Florida). Maybe you like a state that is going (has gone?) bankrupt? And shall we get started on Moral issues ?

California (and other "blue" states) is literally leading the way to the destruction of America (morally, financially..).
I'm not a real political type of guy, but the simple results of each party are a CLEAR indicator of which one is less destructive.

With all that said; Vettex you are one my faves on here so I hope you aren't personally offended.

Having an impossible time understanding how or why this OP devolves into insulting or whining about a state one doesn't live.

We all CHOOSE where we live and likewise where we DON'T live----that alone should be respected and NOT a topic for bickering or off-topic nonsense.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Dear Everyone Else,
JWA has an unspecified personal issue with me. Please disregard his words about me and carry on.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:24 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru

Your"facts" are just plain WRONG
Having been to all the continental United States......I feel qualified to address this.
First , we are not communists , that is just hyperbole BS and you know it.
Second , weather is better
Third , we have Silicon valley , where these computers we use were born. We are cutting edge for science .
Fourth , Mountains , surf , scenery and natural wonders
Fifth , we are the WORLD'S 8th biggest economy.
Sixth , we start trends for the world
Seventh , we feed the country
Eighth , we are tolerant

Is our state perfect , no. Earthquakes suck , we are currently running short on water and yes it is expensive , but there is a reason....LOCATION . Every state has it's shortcomings .

Concerning Fla, specifically , your state will we under water in a few years , hurricanes suck and while I enjoy Daytona Speedway and Disney World , it basically is a retirement state . The humidity and bugs are terrible. Too many crooked speed traps and crooked cops are there. 3rd worst state for unemployment.

I could go on ........and on.......

Old 05-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
You have a lot of bad facts in your reply also, but I suppose if we address each thing in both our posts then it will officially have been hijacked.

And I'll admit the communism reference is truly hyperbole - you called it.

All the states seem to have their own specific weaknesses (just like people). As we've all seen, the bad news travels fastest and farthest.

Florida is still better though

(Says the guy who lives in Florida and has never been near California)

Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
You have a lot of bad facts in your reply also, but I suppose if we address each thing in both our posts then it will officially have been hijacked.

And I'll admit the communism reference is truly hyperbole - you called it.

All the states seem to have their own specific weaknesses (just like people). As we've all seen, the bad news travels fastest and farthest.

Florida is still better though

(Says the guy who lives in Florida and has never been near California)
Then how would you know ? You don't know any better so I understand why you are a homer. Happens all the time.
And my facts are 100% correct.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
What do you mean by "homer"?

And yes I know some things about California so please don't state otherwise.

And is it 100% true that Florida is going to be covered by water ? Or that Florida has 3rd highest unemployment (not at all true). And your reference to dirty cops, speed traps, and retirees is quite prejudicial, based obviously on your personal experiences and opinions. I've had the exact opposite experiences as what you've described.... So that means one of us is incorrect about Florida.

Come on man, chill out. Re read my previous post- I was decent with you and trying to wrap up nicely.

Quick Reply: Went to smog my 98 e350 v10 in Ca,