Not Cool enough

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 05:20 PM
FlaHeritage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not Cool enough

Ok I am new to this and don't know where my last post landed, so I'll try this again. Have a 98 150 with 4.6 V8. On trip to tennessee this past june I noticed water dripping on passenger floor mat. AC not cooling too well so I had to run on Max AC with fan on high. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Does not feel like it cools to good on low either, but have not had problem with water before. Thanks

Old 07-27-2003, 06:17 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Not Cool enough

Check for a clogged drain first. Extreme humidity and very hot conditions can allow for some accumulation on the outer case on a long trip. Another common thing I see is that the drain grommet at the firewall doesnt seal adequately and the water drains back on the tube through the grommet and onto the floor. You can remedy that by applying a coat of eurethane sealer around the grommet from the outside and allow to cure. Another remote possibiliy is a cracked plenum case. There is a cover on the lower portion of the plenum that can accumulate a substantial amound of water before it drips or runs off to the carpet.

Old 07-27-2003, 06:45 PM
FlaHeritage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Cool enough

Thanks Homer! I appreciate the help.

Old 07-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Scooter29
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not Cool enough

Sounds like the evaporator coil is icing up. Lack of cooling. Has anyone done any maintenance on the system prior to this situation? A leak in the system (refrigerant) will cause icing on the evaporator coil and when it defrosts so to speak, the water drips down onto your floor mat. You may want to have the system checked. Good luck and we'll talk with you guys later....

Old 07-28-2003, 06:33 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Not Cool enough

Good point on the freezing up Scooter. I rarely see that but it does happen for sure. Good time to check that cycling switch.

Old 07-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Scooter29
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not Cool enough

Hey there HomerWinzlow! I'm a HVAC guy for residential. Very similar to autos, but with the new refrigerants, I haven't kept up on their chemical make-up and the different pressures they produce. I leave that up to you guys. I just had to put a couple of pennies in the mix. Many great advice from everyone though. I'm going to save alot of this information on hard copy. I don't trust my memory much anymore! Where am I??? Talk with you guys later....