Sponsored by: Moser

TOOLS!!! portable tool boxes

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:47 AM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TOOLS!!! portable tool boxes

As some might have figured out from my previous thread, I am working on the tool collection right now.

This thread is in regards to portable tool boxes. I have a small garage and I cannot get most of the trucks in it to work on. Right now my drive is dirt, soon to be gravel, so pulling the tool cabinet out to the truck is not an option. I am also getting tired of tools getting left under the hood of a truck or on the dash.

So what I am looking for is what you guys use for carry or rolling portable tool boxes that can be taken to the truck, over rough terrain. Also what you have in it. I am planning for a basic tool set. Sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, maybe some simple electrical tools such as a test light or meter. Big specialty tools will stay in the garage and be brought out for the job they are needed for. This is just a basic tool set for normal wrenching.

Thanks all.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 AM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Get a rolling cart you can upgrade the wheels to a larger size. The cart size will determine the tool set, but in general you can pretty well disassemble one of these trucks with a 3/8" ratchet set, maybe a 1/2" ratchet with larger sockets, a set of 6-point combination wrenches, pliers like a couple of sets of vise-grips, dikes, wire strippers, needlenose, and screwdrivers #1-#3, an Allen wrench set and a small multimeter. If you have a compressor and can run a long hose out, you can add air tools. Icing on the cake -a 1/4" socket set, and ratcheting combination wrenches. Other stuff like a drill, jack, jackstands, sawzall, air tools, soldering gun etc can be brought out on an as-needed basis.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 AM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
I keep looking at the Montezuma Portable Toolboxes for my flatdeck.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
For portability, I use a Radio Flyer wagon upgraded with 10-inch pneumatic tires. It's real handy at the salvage yard.

In normal day-to-day use, a heavy duty plastic tote gets the job done. Sockets, ratchets, and wrenches on one side and gripped tools and nut drivers on the other. A lil bit disorganized right now...

Sometimes I move the tools over to a butterfly tool box.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:33 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I use a tote tool bag that I keep in my truck. It has a set of SAE combo wrenches, sockets and allens. I also keep a 6in1 screwdriver, large slotted and phillips, small and large crescent wrenches, needlenose and regular pliars, wire cutter and strippers, prybar, hammer and analog voltmeter. When I know I am going for something specific at the yards, I'll pack that also. When life was much easier, I use to just use an electricians pouch to carry my tools. I miss those days.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Jchet729
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
There are also some decent tool sets in blow molded cases, which makes it nice to see where everything is or if you're missing something. I have a couple blue point sets like this, one is a basic 3/8 sae sockets & wrenches, the other is a 155pc 1/4-3/8 socket set.

I have a good source as my dads still a dealer

Old 05-01-2015, 03:57 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
Ok, now I am thinking my old lawn wagon, been wanting to get a better one, and a top 4 drawer tool chest. I been looking for a reason to replace mine. Maybe some kind of easy release mechanism to take off and throw in the truck for parts hunting.

I hate most blow mold kits cause they waste alot of space and just have a bunch of crap I don't need. I hate when they say 125 piece set and that is mostly screw driver bits and crappy allen wrenches. I use to have an actually real nice blow molded craftsman socket set. was a large case holding 1/4 , 3/8 and half inch sockets and rachets and extensions. No bits or allens or any of that, just sockets. Had all sizes in the ranches it listed, so no skipping a lets say 14mm socket. Kept it complete for several years. Was working under a truck in a place we rented. My son was a toddler out roaming the yard. just happened to look out from under the truck to see him chucking sockets as far as his little arms would allow. He had gotten through about half of the set by the time I seen him and couldn't find half of those. Never could finds another set like it and well what was left was in my garage when it burnt down so..,,

Old 05-01-2015, 04:00 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
Running gear off something like this.

and tool chest like this

Last edited by 4x4slik; 05-01-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: redo pics