Dipstick Flange into oil pan leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 04:49 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Dipstick Flange into oil pan leaking

Hi all,

Have sprung a sizable leak where the flange goes into the oil pan. Any ideas on how to properly fix this? I snugged it up, but it backed off within 100 miles. the only fix I saw involved JB weld, not my patch of choice if there is a better way.

thanks For any ideas, Tom

Old 04-26-2015, 05:19 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That flange seals with an O-Ring and can be fixed if it's the O-ring that's causing your problem. You don't want to over tighten it and bend anything though.

Here's one kit:

Oil Level Gauge - Oil Pan Repair Kit - Riffraff Diesel Performance

I would go ahead and replace my dipstick tube as well if it's a rusty mess...

I would try this before a bondo, since you can't easily back out of a bondo solution.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:19 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Hoo boy. Here's a good read on the subject. LINK

Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Wow

Hoo Boy is right, think I see why someone opted for JB weld!

thanks for the links guys, ordering the Riffraff kit now, looks like I wil be spending some time under there this weekend. Guess I could do my sway bar bushings that have been on shelf a year while I am at it, get that out of the way while I pull starter et all....

thanks much guys, really appreciate the fast response.

edit: thanks for the idea on the dipstick, mine is actually in excellent condition as I had to replace it when I twisted it into a pretzel 5 or 6 years ago doing the 50 cent mod, air guns are bad on that particular valve cover stud/nut.... oops!

Last edited by onelionhunter; 04-26-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add data
Old 04-26-2015, 05:47 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would inspect the oil pan for rust, bubbling/peeling paint etc while you're under there too. If you find anything add that to your todo list and make it a must fix before winter if you're in an area where they salt the roads..

Old 04-26-2015, 07:10 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by tjmike
I would inspect the oil pan for rust, bubbling/peeling paint etc while you're under there too. If you find anything add that to your todo list and make it a must fix before winter if you're in an area where they salt the roads..
That's coming. It's idiotic that the plow trucks were out in full force yesterday morning in Bozeman spewing the mag chloride even though the roads were just wet. Sure, it snowed a couple of inches but it only "stuck" to the grass.

It's because of the stupid out-of-state "imports" that think salting roads is a good idea (instead of using common sense and driving like the roads may actually be slick)......Why can't they just stay in the states that they've already f'd up and leave this one alone? Damn Colorado, California, and Washington license plates in this place; they outnumber the Montana plates anymore. If I didn't have friends that have moved here from Minnesota, I'd include that one too (at least those ones aren't typically liberal progressives).

Old 04-26-2015, 09:41 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

salt :(

So far its been good here in MT for me on the lack of salt etc, but as Cody said, the idiots are starting to do it here too.... Sand has worked perfectly fine for eons here, this instant mess crap is uncalled for. before the latest chemicals, salt didn't work most days as it was too cold, but sand was perfect, made things dark, and good old solar melted thinks.... not to mention the fact sand is just good old friction factor......... I am an import long ago to MT, so I cant claim being a local, but I fit and embraced local then and do today, even married local, born and bred Whitehall mt....

fortunately, my pan and truck don't see downtown bozo, I work west of there, and live west, avoid town at all costs

Old 04-27-2015, 12:58 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine started Leaking from dry to pouring out as fast as you could put it in less than a day.

I replaced the original oring and flange nut and it was still leaking pretty good so I loosened the nut and ran a nice bead of "the right stuff" gasket maker under the flang nut, let it skim over for about 10 minutes and snugged it back down. It's been bone dry for the last 30 or 40K.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
That's coming. It's idiotic that the plow trucks were out in full force yesterday morning in Bozeman spewing the mag chloride even though the roads were just wet. Sure, it snowed a couple of inches but it only "stuck" to the grass.

It's because of the stupid out-of-state "imports" that think salting roads is a good idea (instead of using common sense and driving like the roads may actually be slick)......Why can't they just stay in the states that they've already f'd up and leave this one alone? Damn Colorado, California, and Washington license plates in this place; they outnumber the Montana plates anymore. If I didn't have friends that have moved here from Minnesota, I'd include that one too (at least those ones aren't typically liberal progressives).
I really wish I could rep you, Cody, but I'm in rep jail.

Stewart