1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

e-brake cable boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:58 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
e-brake cable boots

I know many times I've said that soon they will be made so while I'm in a molding state of mind have made some progress on the mold . Made a silicone rubber inside buck of the e-brake cable boot . Next step is to have a buddy machine an aluminum replica of it . Will have him make 2 .Then remount the boot on the buck . Lay it 1/2 way + in a small tub of material to create 1/2 of the outside mold , repeat & sand the flat surface till they match . Remove original e-brake cable boot from inside buck ,drill some 1/4 -20 holes thru the matching halves , bolt together , stand in a jig , pour in liquid rubber & wait 8 hrs. , remove & hope what I have is an exact replica of an e-brake cable boot . Remember each truck needs 2 .Also spoke to Chuck @ Chucks trucks . He is sending some big truck shift lever boots to reproduce . Those should be a little easier as one end is bigger than the other. These e-brake cable boots are a challenge as both ends are smaller than the middle . Stay tuned .

Attached Images    
Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Very Cool!

Old 04-19-2015, 03:52 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

That is so cool. The talent that so many of you possess just amazes me.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:10 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Am going to make an attempt at reproducing the blower motor switch for the '48-'50 FORD script fresh air heater . Have some old ones that I can take the inside metal fixture out of & cast it right into the switch ****. As long as I am on a roll with parts making will get some clear liquid plastic and make an attempt at reproducing the clear plastic cable control panel for the '51 Magic Air heater that is back lit & says Blower Air Defrost Temp No one makes these either . May slow down in woodworking , cabinet , furniture repair & restoration & concentrate on making parts as uncle sam contributes to the monthly paycheck now.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:03 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

I now know what the inside of an e-brake cable boot looks like & the diameters of the bellows shape . Now to have a couple machined out of aluminum .remount the boot & make the matching outside molds .

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2015, 12:36 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Progress ,now to find the time to set up the outside mold halves ,A jig to hold them ,pour the rubber & hope for a good result .

Attached Images    
Old 08-19-2015, 06:29 PM
jonf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
while you're at it, how about making the rubber belows that the gas pedal linkage goes through. they are available already but $25 is too much for a tight wad like me.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jonf
while you're at it, how about making the rubber belows that the gas pedal linkage goes through. they are available already but $25 is too much for a tight wad like me.
DC has them for $9.95.

Accelerator Pedal Rod Seal | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

That's for different years, but looks like it would work.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by jonf
No thanks , finding time to make obsolete parts is hard enough . Am only interested in making parts that are not out there .These will be $30.00 / pair . Small price to pay to keep your e-brake equalizer clevis ends weather tight . Already have $$ & hrs. in the venture and not one boot made .Stay tuned .

Old 02-05-2016, 07:36 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

UPDATE !!!! Made sometime to find a compatible container , modify said container , measure displacement amount , mix silicone for outside mold , pour in & etc. Sat . will see how it came out . E-brake cable boots soon !!!!

Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Can't wait Denny. It's great you are making the pieces not available. The heater boot is special and works great for me! Thanks

JB

Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Was under "Art' " sat .removing the hard lines on the trans so I can replace with steel braided lines & decided to also remove the truck

e-brake cable boots which are different than car e-brake cable boots . Made a little head way on the reproduction progress . Managed to slip the OEM boot on the inside buck .It was a battle as the old boot went on tight w/ the help of silicone & soap . Will have the original part # on them . OIY -2597 .

Old 06-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Boy they look like you getting them down now. I need to let a friend know and will need to get me a pair soon too as I'm looking for parts to make my E-Brake complete. I'm missing the bracket that is on the tranny crossmember

Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM
KirkF
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Those look great!

I'm patiently waiting for a set to finish off my e-brake!

when do you think you will have the first sets ready to go?

Kirk

Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Well now that I have a truck to repair maybe awhile . Some incompetent rad rod builder started his rig & it took off & ran into the First Ride at a show on Fathers Day . The thread has been closed . It started to get out of hand so the moderator shut it down .Thank you to him .

Quick Reply: e-brake cable boots