Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power Rear Slider Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Rear Slider Conversion

I don't tend to post much on here but enjoy reading and am always amazed at the threads that seem to read my mind for what is currently going on with my truck. When google-searching this topic I didn't find much so maybe someone will find this useful in the future!

Last weekend a neighbor put a rock through my back glass and since a power slider had been on my radar the time was right. The replacement is a Carlite and I let a local glass shop order/install the glass. Yesterday I completed the install - hardest part was finding out how to wire the switch for it. The switch used is a Ford # F5RZ14529A. Below is my wiring schematic:

When I picked it up from the glass shop the motor was loose like so:

A few holes and some self tapping screws later it mounts solid without any binding in the mirror controls. The line secures via christmas tree clips and unfortunately there are no existing hole to utilize - for this a 13/64" drill bit left a snug fit for the clips. Pull the rear mirror trim to run the line under it and it will sit flush everywhere less right here:

The gap can't be seen with the seat back and isn't binding so while it could be notched I saw no point in it. After waffling on switch locations the 4x4 switch panel seemed like the most natural place for it and away we went:

For the keyed power and illumination I tapped an added defrost switch that was installed with my power fold 08+ mirrors. A little probing will find what you need.

Here things are getting buttoned up for final installation when a clearance issue is noted due to the dash hole not being square. The panel is not located off that raised tab and thus there was no ill effect from trimming it to fit. If you wanted to avoid trimming putting it above the back up switch would negate the need.

Final install looks good, and most importantly functions well. This will be a welcomed addition!

Dog tested, dog approved:

Old 04-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Good job. always wanted one my self but wouldn't be a patient on the install.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
how much was the window?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Great job. Would love to have a power slider window but ill wait for if mine ever breaks.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Good job. always wanted one my self but wouldn't be a patient on the install.
If I had known how the switch needed to be wired on the front it, it could have easily been done in 1-2 hours.

Originally Posted by tjc transport
how much was the window?
Local shop charged $475 installed. The CR glass was quoted at almost $600.

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Great job. Would love to have a power slider window but ill wait for if mine ever breaks.
Lemons out of lemonade! Wasn't too happy about the need to replace it but it made for a good excuse.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:29 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Looks great!!

I did this swap last year after finding a deal on the parts used. Pretty straight forward - easier with two sets of hands, and especially worth it for us CC guys.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by grec-o-face
Looks great!!

I did this swap last year after finding a deal on the parts used. Pretty straight forward - easier with two sets of hands, and especially worth it for us CC guys.
I found your commentary in a year old post when searching - I've been searching for a used one since then but the situation sort of forced my hand. Could be worse! It was much easier with two people but could be done by one.

The only downside I found is that I now know there is a squeak somewhere in the rear of the truck....need to find and fix that to really enjoy it.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:10 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Eaglestroker
I found your commentary in a year old post when searching - I've been searching for a used one since then but the situation sort of forced my hand. Could be worse! It was much easier with two people but could be done by one.

The only downside I found is that I now know there is a squeak somewhere in the rear of the truck....need to find and fix that to really enjoy it.
Well I hope my commentary was of some use to you. That's why we're all here. (as it turns out, today is my 5 year anniversary here at FTE!)

I agree, you can definitely hear EVERY squeak and rattle from the bed with the window open.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Looks great. Good install.

I have the manual slider in mine.

In all honesty, though, for me, I'm tempted to replace mine with a plain glass with NO slider for two simple reasons... first, I never open the window and do not even LIKE to drive around with windows open, and second, I've heard that both the manual and auto slider windows actually make it easier for break-ins (even though I've never had that issue nor heard of many issues along that line, so the second reason is really only theoretical).

Old 04-13-2015, 10:55 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Great job & write up

Old 04-01-2018, 10:10 AM
brannman
Senior User
Did this in my 2001 F350 SD PS with parts/window found at local breaker yard. Thanks for the write up, easy install.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:37 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
What window/frame/glass you all are using, from what yr/mdl vehicle

Old 04-01-2018, 05:52 PM
brannman
Senior User
My window, motor, switch, wiring came out of a 2006 F250 extended cab.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:27 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd like to do this, I had a power slider in my 07 F150 & my dog loved to hang his head out of the window, it's a PITA having to reach through so he rarely gets the treat!
What year trucks will fit? There's a few for sale on eBay but they're listed as 09-14, is there a cut off date?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:34 AM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
I'd like to do this, I had a power slider in my 07 F150 & my dog loved to hang his head out of the window, it's a PITA having to reach through so he rarely gets the treat!
What year trucks will fit? There's a few for sale on eBay but they're listed as 09-14, is there a cut off date?
I'm pretty sure the rear glass from any truck through a '16 would work as the cab dimensions didn't change. An OE glass would probably hold up better than my Carlite used on the swap, I have to keep the tracks on it greased well or it doesn't slide easily. I was still happy with the swap and used it until I sold the truck in December.

Quick Reply: Power Rear Slider Conversion