6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Michelin LTX AT2 Separated

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Gunny77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin LTX AT2 Separated

Michelin LTX AT2 (LT 275/65R20E) with 32k on it.
Truck started shaking going down the road, like a tire out of balance, then it got progressively worse until I couldn't go over 30 mph. I pulled over and noticed it was deformed. I limped home and changed it out with the spare. Going to get new tires tomorrow. I'm glad I wasn't towing the RV.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
check their website and see if there is a recall or something.

I would turn in a claim with them.

Keep the tires, they may want them shipped to them.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:54 AM
Rich53
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Michelin definitely had a recall on some of these tires, if you go to the website you will find the coding to look for on the tires to see if yours are affected.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I would still contact them for a claim. When I had two tires on my 5th wheel let go I contacted the front company for China and got reimbursed for that and the damage they caused.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Rich53
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Below is the recall I remember, but there may be others:

MICHELIN ISSUES SAFETY RECALL FOR COMMERCIAL LIGHT TRUCK TIRES

Michelin is recalling one version of a specific size of the Michelin LTX M/S tire. These tires are typically found on such vehicles as commercial light trucks, full-sized heavy duty vans, small RVs and some large pickup trucks.

• The tires were produced between January 2010 and June 2012.
  • The tire version and size are:
    • Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112R LRE
  • The tires were fitted as original equipment on some new vehicles and were also sold as new replacement tires.
  • Michelin is issuing the recall because a small number of the tires being recalled experienced tread loss and/or rapid air loss.

Michelin recommends removal of these tires as soon as possible. Owners of the affected tires should visit an authorized Michelin retail location as soon as possible to have the tires replaced at no charge.

To locate a Michelin dealer, click on the link below.
If you have questions or concerns after visiting your Michelin dealer, please contact Michelin Consumer Care at
1-800-231-5893. Available 8am–8pm EST Monday–Friday; 8:30am–4:30pm EST Saturday–Sunday

<hr> To find out if a tire is affected by the recall:

1. Determine if it matches the information below:

<table class="affected-tires"> <tbody> <tr><th>Tire Description</th><th>DOT Sequence</th><th>DOT Production Periods (Inclusive)</th></tr> <tr style="background-color: #fff !important;"> <td>Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112R LRE</td> <td>B3JH AKEX</td> <td>0210 – 2512</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
    If the information on the sidewall of your tires does not match these identifiers, it is not part of the recall.
  2. The following illustration will show you how to read your tire's DOT markings. The DOT markings can be found on the sidewall just above the wheel image.

If you have any questions concerning the tire’s DOT information, please contact Michelin Consumer Care at 1–800–231–5893. Available 8am–8pm EST Monday–Friday; 8:30am–4:30pm EST Saturday–Sunday.

For your reference, below is an example on a standard DOT code.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
This is a good excuse to buy something better. I was not impressed with my stock Michelin AT's at all. Went with Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure w/Kevlar. What an awesome product...

Old 04-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
Not impressed with the Goodyears. I had them on my 2006 truck and they were great during the winter, But as soon as it got hot they started to fail, Had one fail and two weeks later the second did the same thing. They would not warranty them, Said it was a road hazard that I must of hit something in the road. Hmmm, same problem in the sidewall on two tires on opposite sides of truck. I doubt it was a road hazard. Both tires failed on 100° days while I was towing my 4H gooseneck horse trailer. After the second one failed they gave up blaming road hazard and said I must have over loaded the truck. But my 13,000 lb trailer pin weight does not exceed my rear axle rating. So the tires were just not up to handle what the axle was rated for.( or what the tires were rated for). I have no doubt that the hot summer weather was the cause. But the tires should be able to handle Utah's summer temps.

If you are towing heavy, especially in hot weather, I'd be carefull

Old 04-05-2015, 04:49 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
No impressed with the Goodyears. I had them on my 2006 truck and they were great during the winter, But as soon as it got hot they started to fail, Had one fail and two weeks later the second did the same thing. They would not warranty them, Said it was a road hazard that I must of hit something in the road. Hmmm, same problem in the sidewall on two tires on opposite sides of truck. I doubt it was a road hazard. Both tires failed on 100° days while I was towing my 4H gooseneck horse trailer.

Those are not the tires I was referring to. They just came out a couple years ago and weren't even a twinkle in Goodyear's eye in 06...

Old 04-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Gunny77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put 4 new tires on, same one, LTX At2. They (Discount Tire) did credit me for the tire.
Michelin had no recalls on this particular tire. OEM's are hard to get warrantied so I took what I could get, I just wanted new tires.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:22 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When I took delivery of my truck, new, I took it to America's Tires and they put a full warranty on them. Road hazard, wear, the full monty. Did that on the wifes previous Lexus and it paid for itself in spades.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Definitely pursue a warranty claim, that should be covered. I believe they'll prorate the tread remaining, so you'll likely have to come out of pocket to some extent. I've never seen a tire do that, glad to hear it didn't come apart!

Old 04-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Those are not the tires I was referring to. They just came out a couple years ago and weren't even a twinkle in Goodyear's eye in 06...
It was the summer of 2010. They just happened to be on my 2006 truck. They were not the OEM tires but some I had purchased. Seems like I'm buying tires every year. With the miles I drive It is an annual event.

These were the Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar tires.
The point being we can have problems with any brand of tire.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I had a set on my 08 F350 they wore like crap...Yes I had the pressure to 75lbs. and the front end was fine. The Michelin Dealer agreed about the wear on them and got me new MS/2's that were great to the end when I wore them out. I have another set on now..MS/2's that is.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
It was the summer of 2010. They just happened to be on my 2006 truck. They were not the OEM tires but some I had purchased. Seems like I'm buying tires every year. With the miles I drive It is an annual event.

These were the Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar tires.
The point being we can have problems with any brand of tire.
They were probably the Wrangler Silent Armor with Kevlar line as the Adventure wasn't out in 2010 either. So, still not what I'm referring to.

Anyways, sure we can have problems with any brand. Completely agree. But if I'm going to have problems (or not) with a tire, at least I'd like something with a tread that actually functions in conditions other than dry pavement and lasts for a reasonable amount of time when towing heavy. Michelin AT's fail in both regards.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Actually, I had pretty good luck with the Michelin A/T2
Granted I only got about 30,000 per set of tires. Michelin did pro-rate the tires, so I got a discount each time when I bought replacements. I went through 4 set on 2011 truck. I tow heavy, year round. With almost 40% of my mileage pulling 13,000 lbs of trailers. The big difference was that the Goodyear's came apart in summer heat ( at about 16,000 miles of wear) and Goodyear would not warranty them. And while the Michelins never lasted the 50,000 advertised miles, they did pro-rate the replacements and I never had a catastrophic failure.

I was fortunate that I replaced the tires each fall, So I had new tread during hunting season and winter snow. If I had replaced the tires in April and gone through the winter on the last legs I might have a different opinion.

Quick Reply: Michelin LTX AT2 Separated