General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Carpet Installer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:46 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Carpet Installer

Small 9x12 room that will require approx. 4' seam. In order to rent carpet installation tools I will have to travel 120 miles; that's 60 miles round trip to pick up, and another 60 miles to return. I am considering placing the seam tape in place, butting the carpet seams together, cover the seam with a sheet of wax paper then use a clothing iron to bind the 2 pieces of carpet to the seam tape?? Anything wrong with this picture. Comments, suggestions appreciated.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:40 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Depending on the iron, you may melt the wax into the fibers, without activating the glue in the tape. Try on scraps first.

If you are confident you can hide the seam, consider a pressure sensitive seaming tape which doesn't require heat.

Liquid adhesives, and the appropriate seam backing are also available.

Have them delivered to your door, and you don't have to go anywhere.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Depending on the iron, you may melt the wax into the fibers, without activating the glue in the tape. Try on scraps first.

If you are confident you can hide the seam, consider a pressure sensitive seaming tape which doesn't require heat.

Liquid adhesives, and the appropriate seam backing are also available.

Have them delivered to your door, and you don't have to go anywhere.
Not sure about the pressure sensitive tape I will have to check out some reviews on the product. Using adhesive with a backing certainly sounds like an option.

I had measurements taken yesterday for the living and bedrooms and the carpet is schedule to be installed next week. Unfortunately, there's some construction, and floor preparation required before the room I mentioned will be ready for the carpet. During remodel I removed the old carpet approx. 4 months ago in all the rooms and now given an 'alttomato' the carpet is to be installed in the rooms that are ready immediately, if not sooner, extend the installation possibly 2-3 weeks was not an option. Greatly appreciate the suggestions!!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,652 Likes on 1,126 Posts
If someone is there installing the other rooms have them seam it for you and just leave it rolled up out of the way until you are ready to install it.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by helifixer
If someone is there installing the other rooms have them seam it for you and just leave it rolled up out of the way until you are ready to install it.
Great suggestion!!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:03 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
or buy 12 foot carpet and not have a seam

Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
There is a 3 ft. stair entrance to the room; it's a loft that looks into the living and kitchen area; however, if it were not for a 4x6 floor to ceiling support post it makes installing a solid piece problematic. The way I see it, cut the larger piece of carpet and notch for the 4x6 and slightly over then the smaller piece will run even with the stair entrance and butts up against the other carpet providing a seam running from the entrance to the opposite wall. It was suggested using carpet tiles and use adhesive to secure them to the floor, but not sure I like that idea, if it were not for the darn 4x6 support post. Thanks to all, I really appreciate the input.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Prolly too late now but did you know with some carpets there is actually a direction? On some there is. If the pile in the two pieces of carpet about to be butted up against the other are both flowing in the same direction the seam will disappear. If the pile flows are opposing each other (and maybe facing each other)the seam will always show. Take a couple of scraps and check it out.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
[QUOTE=JEFFFAFA;15255200]Prolly too late now but did you know with some carpets there is actually a direction? On some there is. If the pile in the two pieces of carpet about to be butted up against the other are both flowing in the same direction the seam will disappear.

A member suggested asking carpet installers to either borrow their iron for a few minutes, or see if they would do it for me; then recall, having furniture delivered and apparently carpet for the remainder of the home will not be arriving for couple weeks and I want to have the room completed.

Failed to mention, there is a 4x6" roof support post toward 1 end of the room and I was able to lay the carpet down and make a 2 ft. cut and wrap the carpet around the post so basically it's a solid piece except for a 2 ft. seam. Not a particular fan of HF but a family member works close to one of their stores so with a 20% coupon she ended up paying $22 for a carpet seam iron, figure if it last as long as it would take to cook a 3 min. egg I should be able to complete a 2 ft. seam?? Appreciate the info!!