6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 08:45 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbryan
For the guy who has everything here is a must have (I'm thinking of you Rodney): https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6124343866.html
That's quite the rig! Looks like it's permanent connected to the truck judging by the view from the back into the cab. Might get expensive buying firewood @ 10$/bundle cause I see no place for storing a face cord.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:54 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Thanks and a view from the door.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:56 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
That's more of a desktop wallpaper... Very nice...

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Scraprat, absolutely awesome boondocking spot!

Rodney, good catch. I can't help but think even if Lippert claims they are good for 3 axles, your photo evidence shows different. Triples scrub really bad in tight turns, and all the suspension parts see that extra stress. The cracking and degrading rubber could be a side effect of being covered in grease. Lots of rubbers don't get along well with petroleum products. Another thought is that you added the stiffeners between the spring perches, eliminating, or severely restricting any movement there. Something has to give, and it looks like the equaflex was the weakest link. I'm also surprised at how tall they are also compared to a standard equalizer. Longer lever= more force. Ultimately, the equaflex looks to me like it isn't strong enough to be rated for triples.

Good for XLR for getting one out to you quick! Now you have to do the bushings when you replace it!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:53 AM
System
Prolocutor
You haven't read the follow up yet Scott. No bushings now as the whole thing is going into the Indiana landfill come August...

As to the grease, the wet bolts shed it. Can't help that. Tony did find that the rubber parts of the Equaflex system fail like clockwork at 3 years and need rebuilt. I'm guessing with my mileage, I'm well over the average 3 year wear even though I've only had it two.

On the cross braces, they support up above the Equaflex on the spring hangers. I do agree that the scrubbing is what popped that equalizer though. I think what got me is the miles I've put on and the full garage I generally have. Many folks go short distances and/or use their garage as living space much of the time with their TH's. I'm sure my use is heavier than average although it is what the RV was supposed to be designed for...

Old 05-13-2017, 10:22 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Thanks and a view from the door.
Jim, Thanks for sharing....that's our idea of boon docking.

I'm not certain exactly where you are but we stumbled onto a really wonderful NF campground in that area two years ago. It's called Firehole Canyon campground and it's in Ashley NF and the Flaming Gorge NRA. It's right on the north east corner of the reservoir. It's a few miles off Hwy 191 and about 20 miles out of Rock Springs, WY. As I say, we found it by accident late in the season and it was almost abandoned. Really neat views and fantastic campsites! It even has showers which I've not seen in an NF campground before. I just looked online and see that it is opening for the season next week. Here's a couple of pics from that site:

Attached Images    
Old 05-13-2017, 11:09 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Heading towards that general direction. We haven't been to Dinosaur National Monument so we'll shoot over there and visit for the day. Check that off the NP, NM list.
That looked like a nice area you where in plus peaceful and quite.
Also Steve it looks like you have some good real estate on the toy hauler for some solar but it does look like you need a larger driveway.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 AM
System
Prolocutor
My big fear is the unknown. Pulling off the pavement and heading down a dirt path with 44.5' / 20k behind me is a bit unnerving. If I had someone like you guys with the knowledge of the area, I'd be all over it. I could make my 150 gallons last for views like that on occasion. I'm sure I'd be back to needing to be coddled with 50 amp, water, and sewer after a bit but the first couple days would be stellar...

Old 05-13-2017, 11:43 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by scraprat
Heading towards that general direction. We haven't been to Dinosaur National Monument so we'll shoot over there and visit for the day. Check that off the NP, NM list.
That looked like a nice area you where in plus peaceful and quite.
Also Steve it looks like you have some good real estate on the toy hauler for some solar but it does look like you need a larger driveway.
Thanks, I needed that!

I told the HOA I would be moving the rig when I am finished working on it!!

Old 05-13-2017, 11:53 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Well today the alternator went out on the red truck. So no wheels til wife gets back from sons home on Monday. Oh well other things to do.

Oh wait I could use the lawn mower to go the 10 miles one way to get the alternator

Old 05-13-2017, 11:59 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
My big fear is the unknown. Pulling off the pavement and heading down a dirt path with 44.5' / 20k behind me is a bit unnerving. If I had someone like you guys with the knowledge of the area, I'd be all over it. I could make my 150 gallons last for views like that on occasion. I'm sure I'd be back to needing to be coddled with 50 amp, water, and sewer after a bit but the first couple days would be stellar...
Rodney, I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing that looking for boon docking opportunities in your part of the country is a whole lot different than it is out here. Where Jim is right now, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands, of places on NF and BLM land where you can just head up the road a ways until you see a pretty view, and set up camp. You, for sure, DO NOT need 50 amps there as you are not going to be running AC anyway.

My wife and I backpacked for years before we upscaled to truck/tent camping. We would spend two weeks on a trail in the mountains with everything we needed on our backs, including a water purifier once giardia became an issue. Given a night under the stars at 10,000 ft with not another soul or light within miles, electricity and TV are quickly forgotten.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:08 PM
System
Prolocutor
Steve, I hear you and I meant out there... There is nothing of the sort like that here for sure...

Old 05-13-2017, 12:13 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,719 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Steve (STOF-FORD), thanks for the tip on that campground. It's on my bucket list now!

I guess I've thanked you too many times already, it won't let me do it again.

Last edited by HRTKD; 05-13-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: update on thanks.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:17 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I have a benefit right now that my f250 is with me so I can do road scouting before committing down an unknown road. When my F250 isn't with me Ill find a spot to drop the 5th wheel and scout with the F350. I figure if I can get in with it I can get out its just a matter of how much alcohol might be consumed afterwards that night by the campfire.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:17 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
Awesome pics Scraprat and Stof-ford

Quick Reply: Today is the day........