6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

horse power

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:03 AM
harleytruckjoe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horse power

Can someone tell me when ford will start producing the 6.7 with 440 hp. And is there a way to tell the difference

Old 03-28-2015, 02:37 AM
watchluvr4ever
Senior User
This started with the 2015 models. If you have a 2015 Super Duty it will have the upgraded turbo and hp is 440 up from 400 hp in the 2014 models.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:02 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I want to know when the truck computer will allow me to have 440 hp and also the full 800 torque.

I know the computer controls the output to protect the driveline. Nobody tells us what the conditions are. I'd really like to know when the full power is available to me so that I better know how to use it.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I want to know when the truck computer will allow me to have 440 hp and also the full 800 torque.

I know the computer controls the output to protect the driveline. Nobody tells us what the conditions are. I'd really like to know when the full power is available to me so that I better know how to use it.
I'm monitoring the torque output with the TorquePro app. Without a trailer so far, I've seen 562, under full throttle, right around 2100 rpm.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Blapensee
Elder User
as long as the engine is warmed up you should have full HP...just remember its at the crank. the 11-14's with "400hp" dyno at 323hp at the rear wheels

Old 03-28-2015, 10:45 AM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
horse power , takes boost, the turbo will not spool up very much unless the truck is under a load. so there is your answer, the more load you have on your truck the harder it will push. until you run out of power or break something (LOL)

Old 03-28-2015, 11:16 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I'm monitoring the torque output with the TorquePro app. Without a trailer so far, I've seen 562, under full throttle, right around 2100 rpm.
So how is this measured?

The only on-board dyno that I have ever seen that was even close to an engine-room dyno was one that had special motor mounts with strain guages built into them.. That setup was around 20 or so years ago and was something on the order of 10k at that time..
To my line of thinking - Anything else must be time and load based - IE, dial in your weight and chart out acceleration timing to deduce the amount of torque it took to move the weight X distance in Y time.. You'll get into the ballpark, but with all the other variables to take into consideration I think that ballpark might be rather large..

BTW - my truck's power almost immediately increased with the first startup after I hit 500 miles on the truck. Others have observed similar behavior. No word from Ford as to whether or not this is a feature of the engine controls or not..

Old 03-28-2015, 11:22 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
So how is this measured?

No idea.. there is a monitoring address (PID) that the ECU provides.
one for HP too, haven't used that one.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:17 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
So how is this measured?

The only on-board dyno that I have ever seen that was even close to an engine-room dyno was one that had special motor mounts with strain guages built into them..
That setup was around 20 or so years ago and was something on the order of 10k at that time..
To my line of thinking - Anything else must be time and load based - IE, dial in your weight and chart out acceleration timing to deduce the amount of torque it took to move the weight X distance in Y time.. You'll get into the ballpark, but with all the other variables to take into consideration I think that ballpark might be rather large..

BTW - my truck's power almost immediately increased with the first startup after I hit 500 miles on the truck. Others have observed similar behavior. No word from Ford as to whether or not this is a feature of the engine controls or not..
Thanks for asking the question. I too would like to know. What has been around for a long time is the ability to measure the acceleration and convert that into HP/Torque. They are reasonably accurate, but still only an indicator not exact.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
my cts said i have 840hp towing a small yard waste trailer...i feel like they shouldn't even offer to monitor tq and hp, the numbers are a joke. there are not any hp and tq sensors on these vehicles. someone decided the what the pid values are and there suppose to apply to all vehicles. just for fun change your engine liter and vehicle weight you will get crazy numbers.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:57 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
On my CTS it says the torque and hp pids are calculated. I tried watching torque for a while and never got over about 150.

I'll bet if you look around your owners manual yours are probably 'calculated' too.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blapensee
my cts said i have 840hp towing a small yard waste trailer...i feel like they shouldn't even offer to monitor tq and hp, the numbers are a joke. there are not any hp and tq sensors on these vehicles. someone decided the what the pid values are and there suppose to apply to all vehicles. just for fun change your engine liter and vehicle weight you will get crazy numbers.
Damn Blap, that's one bad azz turbo upgrade! 840 UP? You'll ****** your trailer in half!
Yeah, I have to agree, numbers are just a little less than accurate!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:14 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blapensee
IDK Blap, might be close, aren't you running 40psi boost..?
Probably not, but you do have a bad a$$ truck...

Was told that 60 psi boost with the right supporting hardware/software/mods, nets close to 1000whp on the 6.7

Old 03-30-2015, 07:03 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The reason I asked the question I did was that I've read things that refer to power being limited in certain gears, certain temp ranges, and even in some circumstances like if you're low on def fluid. During active regen or at some soot percentage levels.

If you really think about it, on a stock truck, the computers can choose to give us any power level they want based on all kinds of parameters and sometimes I feel like I have a super truck and sometimes I wonder where all the power went. Problem is, I drive so much I can't pin down all the different circumstances.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 PM
boatman33
Junior User
I have also noticed sometimes there is alot more power available than others. never noticed it while towing though. seems almost like they are limiting your acceleration to a certain point sometimes. loaded it is hard to notice a lack of power, it always gets the job done.

Quick Reply: horse power