ARCHOIL Treatment - Is it that good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARCHOIL Treatment - Is it that good?

Archoil | The Latest Developments In Nano lubrication

I have seen this stuff in trade magazines, Diesel Magazines, YouTube video's, and today, one of my customers was raving about this in the waiting room.

For the most part, the minute I hear one of these "advertisements", I automatically turn off that part of my Brain.

For those of you who have been doing this for a Living; remember back in the 70's and 80's the Wynns Co would frequent Shops and have presses and Ball Bearings? You would stop the ball and measure the pressure, add a drop of their product and you couldn't?

What's the deal?
Anyone using it?
Is it that good?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 PM
tpull3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Results after the change to 5/40W synthetic oil probably had more to do with the good cold start then the additive. Correct me if I'am mistaken but I thought our 7.3 engines don't suffer from stiction issues.

Tom 2003 F350 4x4 Lariat

Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I was curious about that part as well, they didn't seem to do a test between changing the oil and adding the ARCHOIL so it is hard to tell which effected it more.

On another note, I spend some time around the 6.0 forum and have seen a lot of those guys using Hot Shots Secret and almost all of them are reporting performance improvement whether it be easier cold starts or smoother idling. I haven't seen as many guys say they have used ARCHOIL but it seems like 2/3 of the posts I come across say ARCHOIL has helped. I haven't really heard a bad thing about either of them. I haven't used either of them either, so I am just reporting what I've read elsewhere.

I must also say I haven't looked real far into what either of those products do, but what makes the difference that you rarely hear of 7.3 guys trying it but 6.0 guys use it fairly often? Is it the EGR? I think I will ask this over on the 6.0 forum and see what I get there.

Baatzy

Old 03-26-2015, 11:09 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tpull3
Results after the change to 5/40W synthetic oil probably had more to do with the good cold start then the additive. Correct me if I'am mistaken but I thought our 7.3 engines don't suffer from stiction issues. Tom 2003 F350 4x4 Lariat
HEUI Systems are more prone to stiction than common rail direct injection as they rely on oil to activate and fuel quality concerns which is really a double-whammy.

Stiction can affect anything that moves, especially which requires lubrication. It's basically trash left behind from suspended particulate and the result of heat and fluid proimity.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 108 Posts
I used to represent a large private synthetic oil manufacturer. Although they had their own "oil additive " product which was extremely high in soluble moly, even THEY said "You don't ever - NOT EVER - need an additive if you purchase good quality oil and change it at the proper frequency". The only purpose for their own additive, in their minds, was to help a vehicle owner limp by until they could get a rebuild performed. The real issue is that there can be real chemistry conflicts between the additive and the engine oil being used which can reduce the life of your original oil's additives.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I added Archoil to my 7.3, TDI Golf, and my Kawasaki Brute Force ATV.

I did not notice a change to my Golf at all. Mileage may have improved a little, or it may be the weather and fuel blend is responsible for the improvement.

The truck at 90k miles sounds quieter at idle. I did not have any injector issues so I can't comment on what this product may do to help stiction issues. Same slight bump in fuel mileage maybe .5 MPG. Not enough to cover cost of the additive. High mileage 7.3s with tired injectors may find this product does amazing things for them. The 6.0 guys seem to have good results.

The Brute Force ATV showed the most improvement, the engine noise from overhead cams quieted down dramatically. EGTs are lower based on my left leg not getting as hot. Not scientific results, but that is all of the feedback I can provide.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Just a few more facts for consideration.

One of the common features of oil additives is addition viscosity modifiers (read as "thickens the oil"), and that is often (not always) why people experience a reduced noise in the engine... the oil's film strength gets a boost which increases the hydraulic "cushioning" between contact points. That sounds nice, doesn't it (literally)?

Well, the down side can be (again, not always) that the viscosity increases enough to where you have slower oil movement when cold and end up with longer cycle times to get the oil completely circulated throughout the engine on cold start-ups. When you realize that as much as 60% of your internal engine wear occurs as a result of the higher friction experienced during cold start-ups (waiting fro the oil to complete its circulation loop), this now raises an additional concern beyond that of chemical compatibility between the additive and the original oil's built in additive package.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM
ARW
Senior User
Old 03-27-2015, 04:18 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
F250, Not defending Archoil but it is very thin compared to the Molly additive you are talking about. Its claim is a coating (It is not Teflon, but is similar in how it works) reduction in noise is a result of reduction in friction. The post above mine may point to snake oil, but I think there is more to this product then that. If I had a high mileage 7.3 that ran poorly at start up and replacing injectors was not in the budget, I would spend the $40 and give it a try.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:38 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Well, I'm not having any issues. And I have never tried it as in the videos.

I know Bill, he wouldn't purposely lead anyone astray. On the other side I think he's a distributor. He's a good hearted guy that is sometimes misunderstood. He gets abused in a lot of forums. I'll call him next week and discuss his marketing results.

So, I just ordered a "kit" from their web site. I know my mileage and how my vehicle starts. So, I'm going to "do the test" with actual live data recordings and see what happens.

Although, this is going to take me a few months to see what the results are. So, I will have to start another thread or resurrect this one.

I will say, $101.00 (tax and shipping) is costly (from my point of view).

The fuel additive is 10,000:1 so, to run that whole bottle will take me a year to complete. On the other side, I won't have to purchase any fuel additive for a year so I guess in the long run I'll be saving that money.

So, I'm just going to do 500 Gal of Fuel and one oil change and post back.

Tomorrow first thing I will log all the relative data points.

1. Cranking compression test with a Scope.
2. Buzz Test with a Sound Meter.
3. Time the starting with a data recorder.

The only thing I have account for is the ambient temperature to reproduce the test later. My neighbors are going to love that at 3am

Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Glad you are giving the product a fair chance. That is what I was trying to do in my post. It is easy to call something snake oil, especially if you have not tried it. I was trying to be fair to the product by posting my results. I am lokking forward to reading about your observations.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM
tpull3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to give it a fair shot. Interested to hear your results.

Tom

Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM
ARW
Senior User
Originally Posted by tpull3
Thanks for taking the time to give it a fair shot. Interested to hear your results.

Tom
Ditto! Looking forward to hearing more.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used Archoil in my older, 305 V6 engine (yes, V6) at the recommendation of one of their scientist guys. Engine started knocking shortly after. This is gas though, not diesel.

IDK how much the archoil had to do with that, but it wasn't until after the oil change that I had the knock. That's all just my experience though, nothing scientific.

I will say that they make a GREAT grease alternative that is really, really good for axles. It doesn't wash out like regular axle grease does. In fact, one of the selling points is that they have a really low washout point.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:19 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Please understand that I'm not trying to say that this product is a snake oil, but I would go so far as to say that most on the market are. If this stuff really does something good for your vehicle, then great.

Quick Reply: ARCHOIL Treatment - Is it that good?