1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clock Spring and Cruise Control switch (Located on the brake master cylinder)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 AM
inspector747
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clock Spring and Cruise Control switch (Located on the brake master cylinder)

Hello,
I just wanted to share some information with those looking to and are going to change your clock spring and also cruise control issues.
I lost my cruise control a while back (1 yr) and then my ABS lights started flashing and staying on so after some research I discovered it was the clock spring, I ordered one on the internet for approx $70 with shipping Make sure it is identical to your old one.... See Pics).
Realizing I needed to pull the steering wheel I went down to my local Harbor Freight and picked up a basic puller for $39.00, so on Tuesday the clock spring arrived and I went to work only to find out after pulling the airbag (Be careful with this task) that the puller I purchased wouldn't work (See attached pic) so i proceeded to put everything back together and wait another day, Yesterday I stopped at Sears to get the puller I needed and home I went to continue my project, after successfully getting the wheel pulled it was just a matter of removing the clock spring and putting the new one on.
With the new one in hand I was having a diifficult time figuring out how to get it installed (They ship it with a spacer on the back side that needs to be removed.. See attach pic), when removing the old CS there are 3 clips on the back side of the CS (Located at 12, 3 and 6 O'clock)
Now time to install the new one, you will need to align the 3 clips on the new one which is done by depressing the clip located on the inside (See pic), once adjusted it just snaps in, now you can run the wiring.
As I mentioned before make sure before you get started that the new CS matches the old one (I had to splice my old plug to the new CS)

So now figuring with the new CS installed I would lose the flashing air bag and regain my cruise control... Well I did lose the flashing AB but still no CC, so back to the internet to which I found located on the Brake cylinder the CC switch (What was ford thinking when they did this), down to my local Napa parts store and $19.93 later it is installed and now I have CC.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Gints
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't now year of your truck, but on my 2001 f250 V10, there was recall on cruise control switch on top of master cylinder. Dealer replace harness with breaker protected one. What comes to cruise control itself, if you recherche this forum, you will find sequence to press steering wheel controls to determine exactly what is wrong with it. Don't remember procedure anymore, was long time ago, but on my truck it ended up being ON/OFF button.