1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twisted axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 PM
rlpatte
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twisted axle

Folks, I need some help.2001 7.3 F350 dually.It has the Dana 80 4.10 rear end.Just had the rear end replaced (ring gear, pinion, outer and inner hub bearings, all seals) to the tune of $4500.Drove it for a couple of weeks back and forth to work.First time I towed with it - ~7K lb. fifth wheel - it broke down.Got it towed back to the shop that had done all the work and they are telling me the left axle twisted inside the dana posi housing and I'm looking at another over $3K.They cannot get the axle out.It seems it twisted inside the housing and the splines are locked up between the axle and the posi.They have tried everything to get it out and I'm now being told that I'm going to have to buy an entire new rear end (housing, axles, etc.).They don't even know if they'll be able to use the brand spanking new ring and pinion in the replacement axle because they can't get the old axle out.

Anyone have any suggestions?I have never heard of this happening before and everyone, of course, is telling me that they must have put it back together incorrectly.I don't know that - they have always taken care of me in the past - but I'm now looking at what could be over $8K for a rear end in my truck.The truck has 215K miles on it but I replaced the engine 30K miles ago because of a bad cylinder.We only use the truck for vacationing (pulling the 5th wheel or boat) so it only gets around 5-7K miles per year on it.We have been fixing it as we go along because the thought of spending ~$50K on a replacement that will only get used 5-7K miles per year is hard to swallow.But this truck is beginning to kill us...

Anyway, anyone heard of an axle twisting in the posi like this to the point where you can't get it out?Thanks - exasperated...

Old 03-23-2015, 05:43 PM
dave7200
Junior User
I've been around gear heads all my life and have never heard that one. Maybe someone that works with rear ends will chime in. Something doesnt sound right though. Even if it were twisted in there you should be able to turn it while pulling it out, that I've seen. I've done my share of rear end work, I dont trust setting up gear lash myself, and I just cant see how thats possible but again maybe someone will chime in thats in that feild. Sorry Im no help.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Leon82
Mountain Pass
in theory it could the axel could twist but you would need a ton of torque to do it and the tires would slip before it could happen.

do they have a clutch posi or a helical gear diff? I would look in the housing myself and see if the carrier destroyed itself and bound the axel in there. They could have forgot the oil in the rear end.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:07 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you messed around with car-parts.com? Just doing a cursory look, I found a low mileage axle within a hundred miles of me for $990. You may not want to go the used route, but it is one option, and much better than $8000.
Your shop may be good, but it is too coincidental that they just rebuilt it, and it is trashed. Something isn't adding up.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you gone and looked at the truck?

Where exactly did the axle break?

I find it hard to believe it broke near the gears. If it broke near the end of the axle, that is a common occurrence when someone puts the hubs back on without putting some oil in the hub, or they pack too much grease in the bearings that it prevents oil from flowing into the hub through the outer bearing to the inner bearing. Bearing fails, axle/spindle drops down to the hub, axle shaft rubs against the spindle, axle shaft breaks. Axle shaft welds to the inside of the differential housing.

A clean break is just that, a clean break. Major heat buildup had to happen to cause the destruction you described. There was a major screw up on that shops part.

Was there any oil in the hubs? Any oil in the differential?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM
rlpatte
Freshman User
I have looked at the truck. As far as we can tell the axle is not broken. It is still in the housing. They used a long metal shaft and beat through the axle housing from the other side (they took the other axle out with no problem) and beat it with a sledgehammer. It budged 1/4" but they swear they cannot get it out.

The differential cover is off. The ring gear looks brand new, the pinion gear looks brand new. There is/was oil in it - or at least there is residue in there.

When it happened I did smell a strong odor like something back there had gotten really hot but there was no grease being thrown off the seals or anything else to indicate anything was leaking.

The axle will turn about 1/4 revolution forward, and then back, but it will not make a full revolution. The shop owner thinks the axle may be bent inside the housing and then when it turns 1/4 rotation the bent part of the axle hits against the housing???

Not sure what to do. The truck is immobile.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I would cut the end of the axle off and get that hub off and find out where the axle is bent. I bet it's in the spindle.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
tried to message you rlpatte. I know where there may be an axle sitting in Michigan......

Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Toyman
tried to message you rlpatte. I know where there may be an axle sitting in Michigan......
I think he needs to have 25 messages in order to be able to do that. If the damage is in the spindle and axle shaft, the spindle can be replaced without pulling the axle housing. The shop that rebuilt that rearend should make good on their repair.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 AM
rlpatte
Freshman User
Toyman, sorry I missed your message. I'm pretty new to the forums so any suggestions as to the best way to get hold of me is greatly appreciated. I can provide phone number / email but I thought these were part of my account info.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
A PM is possible. I tried and said that I could send you one.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM
rlpatte
Freshman User
Thanks CampSpringsJohn. I'm new to the forums so maybe haven't created enough traffic yet to benefit from the messaging capabilities.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. If nothing else it is becoming apparent to me that my mechanic is suspect at best.

Is the spindle part of the posi itself or is it part of the axle? The real issue is they cannot get the axle out of the posi and/or housing. They are not sure what it binding it up. Also note that you can turn the axle about 1/4 of a turn back and forth but not any more than that.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:28 AM
rlpatte
Freshman User
Does a PM come to my phone or email account?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I get a message that you have exceeded the maximum amount of storage in your mail box.

Jump into the Michigan chapter and look for Bigbee in our BS thread or in his swap thread. He will be able to get you measurements that you would need to see if it would just bolt in or not.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
A PM would be in your FTE account. In the top right hand of the page is a icon called Private Messages. A number will appear when you get one.

Quick Reply: Twisted axle