Long bed VS short bed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I think the reason this particular setup generated so much discussion is the manufacturer's stated pin weight is so light in comparison to the amount of squat and the model of the truck. Sometimes the manufacturer's stated pin weight is way off and it would be nice to know if that is it by running it across a scale to see what the pin is actually putting on the bed.
You are right about that, but not relevant in this case. I went to the dealer today and showed them pictures of my 2012 F 150 without HD tow or payload sitting as level as could be at a rest stop and the picture of the 250 squatting with the trailer. They had no question about there being a problem with the 250. They checked the hitch placement and agreed it was ahead of the center of the axle. They did some online research and could not find any history of a similar problem with the 2015's. Someone had a theory the bed was being pinched because it and the hitch were too high. That was discussed and then determined to be a "probably not the case" take on it. They took pictures of the truck and hitch and are forwarding the problem to engineering. They are taking the problem very seriously because it's wrong, and a control issue with the truck wandering on the freeway.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:28 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I am glad to hear this is moving ahead and teh dealer is taking it seriously. I think it was puzzling for a number of us as given you set-up and your fiver, something just didn't seem right. Please keep us up to date on this as it progresses.

Steve

Old 04-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I am glad to hear this is moving ahead and teh dealer is taking it seriously. I think it was puzzling for a number of us as given you set-up and your fiver, something just didn't seem right. Please keep us up to date on this as it progresses.

Steve
The comparison pictures told the whole story, I didn't have to explain much more than that. Thanks for your help! It's a Hotline case, so it shouldn't take long to get an answer. I'll keep you updated.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Good listener
I haven't had it on a scale. Factory pin weight is 1089 lbs. and I towed it level last year with a F 150. I will check the blocks.

Beings is you have a 15 they were supposedly changing all the 250's to the 4" block in 14. If it sags that much with a 4" block, wow. But who knows. I know I've seen low 14 f250s around here, and Ford will use up old stock on the line if its there.

I hope Ford comes up with a solution for you, other than you getting to put bags on it. Does it have the camper package (overloads)?

Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just had a load of 18' 2x6's from Menards... That would have really sucked with a SB...

In regards to Momma having to hike in from waaaaay out in the parking lot - most of the time I drop her off and pick her up at the door.. Makes her feel special...

Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Beings is you have a 15 they were supposedly changing all the 250's to the 4" block in 14. If it sags that much with a 4" block, wow. But who knows. I know I've seen low 14 f250s around here, and Ford will use up old stock on the line if its there.

I hope Ford comes up with a solution for you, other than you getting to put bags on it. Does it have the camper package (overloads)?
I do not have the camper package. I do have 5th wheel prep which seems lower than the non-prep beds. I don't measure the blocks to be 4 inches.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:47 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,511 Likes on 1,314 Posts
Good listener,

My 2012 which is an extended cab/ long bed 4x4 like yours would sag after putting weight in the bed. I bought off the dealers lot so didn't order it the way I would have normally. This one has the plow package which has stronger front springs on it so when there is weight in it it seem to amplify the sag. After reading many post and doing some homework I put Stableloads on by Torklift ( Truck Camper Suspension - truck sway - truck sag - reduce camper roll | StableLoad ). They have taken care of the sag completely, since putting them on I have carried more weight in the truck than originally when first purchased with everyone flashing their lights at me thinking the high beams where on. The sag in your pic is what my truck would look like with a load in the bed. Just a thought and it's a simple add on that can be done by yourself.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by scraprat
Good listener,

My 2012 which is an extended cab/ long bed 4x4 like yours would sag after putting weight in the bed. I bought off the dealers lot so didn't order it the way I would have normally. This one has the plow package which has stronger front springs on it so when there is weight in it it seem to amplify the sag. After reading many post and doing some homework I put Stableloads on by Torklift ( Truck Camper Suspension - truck sway - truck sag - reduce camper roll | StableLoad ). They have taken care of the sag completely, since putting them on I have carried more weight in the truck than originally when first purchased with everyone flashing their lights at me thinking the high beams where on. The sag in your pic is what my truck would look like with a load in the bed. Just a thought and it's a simple add on that can be done by yourself.
I really appreciate your suggestion! I have looked at the stableload and found it to be a reasonable alternative to airbags. At this point, however, I am dealing with Ford on resolving this issue as a product defect. The comparison between the F-150 and F-250 with identical loading shows there is some underlying problem with my truck. It may, in some way, be related to the higher hitch height which is the only change in the setup. The engineers will have to figure that one out.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
This discussion interests me because I would never expect a 250 to sag so much with such a light pin. I know on older 250 in which I installed travel trailer hitches and put at least that much weigh behind the bumper, the sag before putting on the distribution bars was only about a half inch. Not a direct comparison I know, but jeez, this is a really light pin weight.

I know that pin weight on my 02 F350 dosen't even come close to touching the overload springs.

I hope there is something wrong with this truck and Ford doesn't come back saying "they all do that" as that would mean to me the springs will need help whenever a fiver is tagging along behind.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Good listener
........... I have looked at the stableload and found it to be a reasonable alternative to airbags. ........
If you again consider Stable Loads, take a look at how they work by putting a bending moment on a part of the spring that wasn't designed for additional loading. They have been fairly successful as far as working so they can't be all bad, just that there are probably better alternatives such as air bags and add a leafs (opinion as well as engineering background speaking)

Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Service update : The truck is scheduled to go into the service department next Tuesday for at least three days. Engineering has given them a specific list of tests and measurements to be conducted (50 or more). Based on the results, they have a list of repairs/adjustments to be made. I expressed concern about a problem with my hitch height if any changes were made to the bed height. I was told that when the job was done, the truck would be at original specification. Any deviation from oem standards can effect things like handling, braking, crash performance, and fuel economy. Even headlight aiming was mentioned. Stay tuned and I will keep you updated as to what is found and done.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:23 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Update.. Purchased a f350 6.7 max tow pkg long bed. Metallic blue. Can tow 24k. Look out mountains here we come.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:29 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Sounds like you are set!

Steve

Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,431 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Have you got enough miles on the new truck now? All that is left is a test tow.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Have you got enough miles on the new truck now? All that is left is a test tow.
Only 450 on it. Still planting soybeans so not driven much except to get groceries etc. I am retiring from driving school bus on Friday so can concentrate on farming. Should be done with planting in a few days if weather cooperates. Then the miles will be added. Waiting until 1 K before towing big rig. It is very quiet compared to the 6.0 that we still have. It handles amazingly well even because it is very long. We have to rearrange our garage so it will fit inside.

Quick Reply: Long bed VS short bed