Rear sliding window seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 11:01 PM
notthemaniusedtobe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear sliding window seal

Hey kids,

Anyone have experience/opinions about rear window seal from LMC? I just got a replacement slider window from a 1990 truck to put in my 73. My truck has an original slider, but the existing seal is shot before I pull it out.

I know the new window will fit, but LMC doesn't list a sliding window or seal for my year, so I'm wondering if anyone had good or bad experience with the later model window OR the quality of the seal from LMC....

Help always appreciated,
John

Old 03-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just changed my slider seal on my 73. Got replacement from LMC part number 49-9286 and it fit but it wasn't molded for the corners of the opening so that made it difficult to get installed but it worked. Use lots of soapy water or some sort of lube to get it in. LOL That's what she said. LOL

Old 03-21-2015, 07:48 AM
hickory1991
Fleet Mechanic

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Damifiknow
I just changed my slider seal on my 73. Got replacement from LMC part number 49-9286 and it fit but it wasn't molded for the corners of the opening so that made it difficult to get installed but it worked. Use lots of soapy water or some sort of lube to get it in. LOL That's what she said. LOL

Old 03-21-2015, 09:57 AM
notthemaniusedtobe
Senior User
Originally Posted by Damifiknow
hehe... hehe... hehe...

Thank you sir, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Guess I'll find out for myself when it gets here. In the meantime, a-tinting I will go...

Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
There was a poster on here that had a bad time with LMC, think it was a case of him getting the wrong seal, was replaced with same wrong seal. Think it was about 6 months ago.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:55 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Fer the lubricant, I used a food grade silicone lubricant. That way I could lick my fingers when I was done... GIT-R-DONE

Old 03-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
Fer the lubricant, I used a food grade silicone lubricant. That way I could lick my fingers when I was done... GIT-R-DONE

Now dats funni right dare. I dont cer who ya are. Dats funni.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:12 AM
bunchoftrucks
Senior User
I asked that same question to the guy who replaces glass in our fleet and heavy equipment. He said straight up Dennis Carpenter NOT LMC. Carpenter has all the molds from Ford and they are made in the USA. As for LMC I used there seals on 2 66 F-100's I did years ago and they were not as good as the Carpenter seals I used on a 64 I did a few years earlier

Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 PM
notthemaniusedtobe
Senior User
Damifiknow:

OK, so the new seal is here, and I see instantlywhat you mean about not being molded for the corners. That's the second headache when it comes to installing this rubber, the first one is that there is nothing indicating which is the inside of the seal vs. the outside. The cross-section of the rubber doesn't appear to be symmetrical,so installation direction is obviously going to matter....

Any hints? Thanks

Last edited by notthemaniusedtobe; 03-27-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Replied to wrong person!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 PM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can you post a picture?

Sometimes gaskets have a sealant groove on the side that goes in.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:12 PM
notthemaniusedtobe
Senior User
Originally Posted by northerndave
Can you post a picture?

Sometimes gaskets have a sealant groove on the side that goes in.
I figured it out, have it installed on the window frame now. Only thing is, if anything it seems a little loose to me, but I won't know for certain until I get to installing it in the truck. That'll be Sunday since the little woman is using the truck tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks for your input though...

Old 03-27-2015, 08:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I now avoid LMC's soft rubber and plastic products. Whatever rubber formulation they use doesn't hold up to heat and UV. I ordered some fender/cab seals and they have literally cracked and fallen apart under their own weight after three years. Lesson learned.

Dennis Carpenter is the choice for repro seals.
Second is National Parts Depot (they get lots of stuff from DC) and sometimes at a better price.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 PM
notthemaniusedtobe
Senior User
Heat and UV shouldn't be much of an issue in San Diego....

Looks like I'm all in already for this go-around, guess I'll just have to deal with the consequences when it happens.

Seems like a definite consensus against LMC rubber products, I suppose you get what you pay for, time will tell

Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by notthemaniusedtobe
Heat and UV shouldn't be much of an issue in San Diego....

Looks like I'm all in already for this go-around, guess I'll just have to deal with the consequences when it happens.

Seems like a definite consensus against LMC rubber products, I suppose you get what you pay for, time will tell
I'm in the east bay of the SF Bay Area. Not too dissimilar from SD and you get more sunny on the average.

Tick-tock-tick-tock..... keep an eye on it.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:22 PM
notthemaniusedtobe
Senior User
Yeah, only 95 deg at my house today, blech! Whole reason I'm even doing this is because I wanted to tint my rear slider but the old one is too crappy to fix (replacing the whole back window) and I'm not putting new seats in until I can somewhat protect them from the fearsome sunshine.

Upside though, I have only dings to deal with, zero rust other than the 42 y/o "patina", even after I pulled off all the crown molding from the sides, and I won't really need to be too concerned about rain even if that new seal does go bad.

Quick Reply: Rear sliding window seal