2004 King Ranch SRW Common rail Cummins conversion... the quest for perfection....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:52 AM
MOpartsguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry all for the lack of updates, I realized its been quite a while with no updates. I was posting on multiple boards and stuff slips thru the cracks.

Anyways, The truck is completed, and runs great! I'll get some pics posted up, and be more than happy to answer questions if you have them. I've got everything working minus the cruise control, and engine is still on a stock tune for the most part. fuel mileage kinda sucks, hoping that gets at least a little better with tuning. I've got about 10K miles on it since completion last year. The guys that built the motor have said that the balancing paid off, and that it's the smoothest running common rail they've seen.

I've got a Pacbrake oil filter relocation coming in Tomorrow to install for the next oil change, as it is a royal pain to get to the oil filter in this truck with the twin turbos stuffed in there.

To the Pictures!!

Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 AM
MOpartsguy
Senior User
Afterthoughts....
I absolutely love this truck now. It starts and purrs like a kitten, and has plenty of power when you push the go pedal. The transmission shifts firmly, and grabs gears when the go pedal is on the floor. The guys at the ford dealership drooled all over it, and gave me a hard time for ditching the powerstroke. They were very impressed with the quality of the motor mounts and how well everything fits in the engine bay. Winter was no problem either. Starts no matter how cold it is, even without the heating grid. I'm very happy with the common rail.

Budget..... I completely blew my original budget. By no means will I get my money back out of it by selling it. BUT, I didn't build it to sell it, I built it to drive and be reliable. The motor and trans are new, so I pretty much built a new truck. I can work on it, and it doesn't have all the b.s. emissions that cause issues. conservatively, I would say I have 35K in this swap, not including the cost of the truck. How did I justify it.... go price a new king ranch.

Hindsight is 20/20....
I wish I had cleaned the engine bay a little more. I also regret not insulating the firewall. With the engine shoved so far back, and the two turbos tucked in, the floor does get a little warm. Makes for great heat in the winter time, It will roast you right out of the cab! I love the sound of the motor, very smooth. I kept the 5 inch straight pipe on it, and the drone isn't bad at all. The tire noise is louder than the exhaust on the highway.

Motor runs at operating temp, and never gets hot. I replaced the radiator with a stock unit, but contemplating a mishimoto radiator at some point down the road. EGT's never get above 1100 with the tuning and massive mishimoto inter-cooler. Trans runs a little warm, thinking about bypassing the cooler in the radiator and just running the trans cooler lines to the stand alone cooler only, instead of both.

More gauges are in my future as well. The factory gauges work, but i'm desiring more precise readings of fluid temps and pressures.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:30 PM
drksuaa
Freshman User
Glad to see you are happy with the finished product. I'm getting ready to start but with a 12v and I'm planning to use DCS and BTS. You happy with both it sounds? Who tuned the trans?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:21 PM
MOpartsguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by drksuaa
Glad to see you are happy with the finished product. I'm getting ready to start but with a 12v and I'm planning to use DCS and BTS. You happy with both it sounds? Who tuned the trans?
I've been very happy with both. I ran into a dead pedal issue a few months ago, and DCS was happy to help me trouble shoot it. (Turned out to be a bad pedal assembly.) They spliced my harnesses, and also supplied my PCS controller for the trans. I told them wheel size, and engine i was building, and they supplied a tune that i'm still using. That said, it could be perfected a little more, but i'm happy with it. DCS has gone away from the PCS controller for swaps, and use another brand I found out after speaking with them last week.

BTS was very professional, and I couldn't be happier. Brian is more than happy to help you tune it as well, and will answer any question you have.