1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The F250 Long trip , Part Two

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
The F250 Long trip , Part Two

In part one I told how I sold my 1956 F250 , to a guy in New Zealand .The buyer set up the pick up of the truck, and asked me how long the truck was [ about 16 ft ] and how high [ 7 ft ] He passed that information along with a picture of the F250 to the trucker , the trucking company wanted me to meet their truck in Atlanta Ga , 110 miles from me . As I use my 1954 F100 panel as my every day truck I would have to pull the F250 down with it . Not real happy about that I got a buddy to use his new truck to pull it down . On Wednesday the 25th I called the trucker ,He told me he would be in Atlanta on Saturday the 28th and he would call me Friday afternoon the set on a meet . I asked about meeting north of Atlanta on Interstate 85 , but only 35 miles from me , ok if I paid $95 , Good as driving in Atlanta is a pain . Waited around on Friday all afternoon no call until 8; 30 pm . He told me he had two stops Saturday morning , and he would call before noon . Again hung around waiting for the call , At noon I called him , and set up the meet for 3 pm . I get to the truck stop and unload the F250. He shows up with a tractor trailer 8 car hauler , empty . He comes over and looks at the F250 and said { I didn't know it was so big } . Now he try's to figure out how to load it , He gets into the truck and starts looking around and I tell him where first gear is [ like it isn't marked on the **** ] , I then tell him that the emergency brake is on the floor , { he starts looking for a pedal to push } I offer to drive it on the truck { he thinks this is a good ideal } So up the ramp I go , then down into the bottom of the trailer . After much head scratching he decides it won't work and he needs to put it on the top of the trailer . Now I have to back it out with no mirrors { removed for shipping } No problem I have about two inches of clearance on each side . I get it off ,and he sets the truck up so I can drive it up top { ramp is so steep the trailer hitch drags as I start up } Can't see anything as , I am going up at about 45 degree angle { scary } Ok I get it up top to the middle of the trailer . He climes up { looking confused ] Ah it might be to high . ***, why didn't you measure it on the ground . He gets his stick out { yes it has to come down as it is over 14 ft } Now I have to back it down with no mirrors and nothing to guide me . At this point I put the mirror back on the drivers side , Half way down it runs out of gas { buyer told me to drain tank as port would not ship with gas in it ] my fault I drain out to much . Truck is now on the ground , Trucker now decides he can't take it , { did I mention I had a 9mm in my pocket } . He is going to call his boss , I go and buy a gas can and gas to put in the F250 , about $30 . When I get back , trucker tells me if I pay for two spaces he will take the truck on the bottom of the trailer , another $900 on top of the $970 . I explain { about 6 times that the buyer is paying for shipping and I can't commit , without his ok , and as the buyer sent me the $ to pay the trucker I don't have the extra cash to pay . Now he asks about the extra $ 95 he was charging me to meet him north of Atlanta , I try to explain that I am not paying, as he is not taking the truck , and he had the measurements and a picture of the F250 before he committed to haul it . He's not happy , and starts giving me a bunch of sh-t ,{ Again the 9mm comes to mind } . The F250 is back at my house , trucker drove off . Buyer agrees I did the right thing , Will find a new company to truck it , A few Black Velvet and cokes later . I have a story to tell . Did I mention the 9mm ?

Attached Images   
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Holy ----!

I can't imagine driving up and down that trailer being unable to see where you're going.

I'm glad you didn't need to use the 9mm, but that was really smart to take it along.

And it's only another $900! Really, is that an option? "I didn't know it was so big".

Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Wow! what a day.

I've never ran cars up on a transporter but I've unloaded several. Even with mirrors its not an easy task.

Better luck with the next shipper.
Bobby

Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Wild story, Dave. Some of these transport guys must go for the load rather than read the information that is given to them up front. Similar experience when I had Blue, the flat bed F4, shipped from NM to TN. I had specified it was an oversize load and had given the broker full dimensions. First guy who said he would handle the load realized the day of pickup that he could not handle it, went into this dissertation about how I would need to have it flatbedded. Back to the broker who credited me $100. and added the $100. to the cash amount I paid to the driver who would eventually take the job.
A couple days later, I got a call from a driver who said he could and would handle the F4. Pointed conversation followed and I realized I had someone who knew what he was doing, what questions to ask, etc.
Ross met him at the pickup site and they winched the F4 backwards onto the top deck of the carrier. The driver kept me informed of his trip progress and safely delivered the truck to a location just a few miles from my place. He even hung around and helped me winch Blue onto my trailer.. Yeah, he liked old trucks. So there are good experiences out there as well as some not so good. You'll find a good one. Obviously, that guy did not want the job.
Edit: The driver and I both were carrying when he made the delivery and had conversation about the same. Seems some folks know these drivers deal in cash and he finds himself in some less than comfortable situations.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Lola's Panel
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you tell me how having a 9mm on you has anything to do with this story? I read the whole thing and it was good until that was mentioned. All I could think of was that the first thing you thought of when you have a small issue with something is that you have your gun in your pocket. Were you going to pull the gun on the guy for not taking the truck?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:13 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Lola's Panel
Can you tell me how having a 9mm on you has anything to do with this story? I read the whole thing and it was good until that was mentioned. All I could think of was that the first thing you thought of when you have a small issue with something is that you have your gun in your pocket. Were you going to pull the gun on the guy for not taking the truck?
No, the AR is for that

Old 03-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Elmo4895
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
No, the AR is for that
Great reply!
Elmo

Old 03-01-2015, 04:21 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
I think Dave meant he had a 9 mm wrench in his pocket to disconnect the battery.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:47 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Edit: The driver and I both were carrying when he made the delivery and had conversation about the same. Seems some folks know these drivers deal in cash and he finds himself in some less than comfortable situations.
So this makes complete sense as a case for concealed carry.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Lola's Panel
Mountain Pass
^^^ That quote was not posted by the OP. You're completely right though, whenever you're dealing with truck drivers you should probably be carrying. The point that I was getting at was, the fact that he had a gun in his pocket was irrelevant, plain and simple. Now, if there would have been a struggle and he pulled it, then yah reference that in the story. Just seemed silly to mention when it had nothing to do with the outcome.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:29 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
The part about the 9mm was a try to bring humor into the situation . I almost never carry even though I have a conceal carry permit and am retire law enforcement . I had the gun because I was carrying a lot of cash and did not know what I might get into . There have been a number of robberies near here in public places , when people go to pick up items bought on line . Like the trucker could tell his partner , look for the guy with the 56 F250 in the truck stop parking lot he will have a lot of cash . We all have been in situations where we say if I had a gun . In this case I had the gun , and that was funny to me . As the trucker was doing his best to push my buttons .There are a lot of people out there with anger and control issues' , If I was one of those this could have gotten ugly . I never indented to make it sound as I would use a gun .

Old 03-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow what an idiot! I had a 49 f-4 dual wheels delivered from Nebraska to PA for 800 bucks, who ever delivered it was great very professional and thank god no issues! That is a beautiful truck! Are you gonna miss it?

Old 03-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Lola's Panel
Mountain Pass
Yah I hear you on just being safe when you have a bunch of cash on you. It sounds like you have been well trained with your weapon. What scares me is hotheaded people carrying and just waiting for a situation to pull it when they feel "uncomfortable". Shoot I was uncomfortable going to Chicago to pick up my Lexus IFS by myself, but 99% of the time if we just use our brain, things will turn out for the best😀

Old 03-01-2015, 06:33 PM
1badseabee
New User
[QUOTE=You're completely right though, whenever you're dealing with truck drivers you should probably be carrying. [/QUOTE]

Your the one that's joking now? Right? Geez

Old 03-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Lola's Panel
Mountain Pass
Yah that was a joke of course haha

Quick Reply: The F250 Long trip , Part Two