5th wheel registration question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

5th wheel registration question

Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 PM
redz284u
Senior User
redz284u is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
5th wheel registration question

So we just got our new 2015 road warrior 5th'er. Went to register it and tags was 498.00. Then she asked me to bring it in for VIN verification. I told her it was my understanding NEW never registration, out side of California (bought it in Dallas tx) does not require vin verify. Long story short, she came back, gave me refund for the registration, and issued a PERMANENT TRAILER PLATE. She said I only need to pay $10 every 5 years. I personally think she made a mistake. Cause my 2000 Aljo I pay almost 100 bucks per year.

What does the PERMANENT TRAILER PLATE really mean?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
I think it means less work, higher DMV wages and more $ for CA. Why else would they create them..

Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 AM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Yes, she made a mistake. Fifthwheel campers are not eligible for the PTI program.

Here is the DMV page for PTI information:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1..._hdbk/ch14/toc

And this page of that document covers the fifthwheel exclusion
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...bk/ch14/ch14_3

The question for you now, is do you want to get it corrected and pay the higher fee. If they find the error a few years down the road, when you go to sell it for example, they may come back and make you pay the fees for 5 years, which I believe is the limit. Even though it is totally their fault. I've been through that with CA property taxes. I had to pay, but no penalties were added. They even spread it out over a few years. If you keep the trailer long enough, it might be worth it to just keep it.

If I could legally register my fiver as a PTI, I would be all over that. But not so.

Oh, and congrats on the new fiver. That thing must be huge!

Old 03-01-2015, 12:03 PM
r2millers
Postmaster
r2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud of
Yep, that's a big rig. At first I thought it didn't meet CA max length of 40' but then I found an addendum to the law, now allowing 5th wheels up to 48' max.

See below. Enjoy your trailer.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 PM
orng1
Postmaster
orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Cool, so no fees on a 5th wheel?

Old 03-06-2015, 10:41 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by orng1 View Post
Cool, so no fees on a 5th wheel?
Just re-read what Bill posted in Post #3 above.

There ARE fees, and they are due annually just like a truck.

The gal at the DMV made a mistake, and it will catch up eventually, and then there will be back-fees galore.

I'd call it to their attention now, and it'll be easier in the long run.

State GONNA' get theirs! You KNOW that!

Pop

Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 PM
orng1
Postmaster
orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.orng1 has a great reputation on FTE.
would be nice if it was just a permanent trailer tag

Old 03-06-2015, 10:49 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Oh, YEA!

But, alas...........

Jerry Brown needs the bux.

Pop

Old 03-07-2015, 11:04 AM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Yeah that would be nice. But no. CA is very expensive for trailer tags, unless you quality for the PTI.

Some states don't require trailer registration at all. Your towing vehicle registration covers whatever you are towing. Some other states only register them when bought/sold, and no annual renewal required. And then most states just have a token fee to cover the annual renewal.

But we've got nice weather!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:26 PM
sweetlou1
Senior User
sweetlou1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just got done paying for my rig which is registered in WA. It is a 2007 33ft Hitchhiker. I paid $41.75. I would consider you register it out of state but if you don't want to do that, then go back and point out their incompetence at DMV and redo the thing. I do have dual residences.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:58 PM
lupuseven
Elder User
lupuseven has a great reputation on FTE.lupuseven has a great reputation on FTE.lupuseven has a great reputation on FTE.lupuseven has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by sweetlou1 View Post
I just got done paying for my rig which is registered in WA. It is a 2007 33ft Hitchhiker. I paid $41.75. I would consider you register it out of state but if you don't want to do that, then go back and point out their incompetence at DMV and redo the thing. I do have dual residences.
sorry but its sorta relevant
how does the Dual Residency work?
I'm looking at buying some land in NV and would love to have Dual residency if I do. I need the CA residency for my son while he goes to college.

I was going to PM you but this could be helpful to other members.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
No such thing. Just depends on where you spend the most time.

IMO, no guarantee this won't cause trouble, but for vehicle registration, as long as you have an address in NV, go ahead. Now if you are only there two weeks a year, maybe not, but if you come and go regularly, go ahead.

For taxes and in-state tuition, you gotta be CA.

I moved to NM for a while and had to file a partial year return in NM for two years, along with the CA return.

Of course with a CA DL and a NV registration, you will always have an open can of worms on display. Peace of mind has it costs.

ymmv

Old 04-01-2015, 08:32 AM
sweetlou1
Senior User
sweetlou1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by lupuseven View Post
sorry but its sorta relevant
how does the Dual Residency work?
I'm looking at buying some land in NV and would love to have Dual residency if I do. I need the CA residency for my son while he goes to college.

I was going to PM you but this could be helpful to other members.
In respect to registering a vehicle or trailer, in WA I went and obtained a WA ID Card at their DOL. Its not a license, just ID. I have a residence so I gave them my address and I received it in the mail. Now if I ever have an issue I present it to that office and I get resident like status. I am not retired yet so I still pay my fair share of taxes to CA. I just gave the DOL the DMV paperwork from CA. and registered it in WA. No big deal. The big deal is what do you tell the cop when you get pulled over with a license plate from CA on the truck, and WA for the trailer in the back. Those questions are easy to answer. I will leave that up to your imagination. I still have my CA. drivers license so no big deal. The big deal would be to have the vehicle registered in WA, with a CA. drivers license and address. Now you have some explaining to do. Once I retire, it will be easier. WA has no state income tax just like NV, so my retirement check will not be taxed by CA any longer after I claim my primary residency in WA. I hope this answers your question.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:08 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
That check might get wet though, so watch out.

I miss the good old days when you could have several driver licenses, and the states didn't cross reference anything. Sure saved a lot of trouble....

Old 04-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Some states are looking at taxing retirement pensions of folks who move away. Try not to act surprised.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th wheel registration question

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.