1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Adding an additional Line-in to factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 02:11 PM
donmccarty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Adding an additional Line-in to factory radio

I just picked up a used 1999 F-150 Lariot with the Triton V8. I'm extremely excited about the purchase.

The first thing I wanted to do inside was to add an additional line-in into the standard Ford radio. The radio installed is a single CD player with AM/FM radio. Does anyone know if there is a line-in on the back of the radio or am I going to have to hot wire it. If so, any thoughts on hot wiring it?

---Don

Old 07-23-2003, 03:49 PM
rickeybell
Freshman User
Thumbs up Adding an additional Line-in to factory radio

I would like to do the same thing with a plug for my laptop, so I can play dvd's through the system without that pesky cassette adapter.

Old 07-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You can get an adapter that plugs into the antenna connection and the antenna piggy backs into this. Make sure you get one that has a limiter built into it. Most come with a long cable. You tune your radio on FM to a place there is no station, to hear the aux. device.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:39 PM
donmccarty
New User

Thanks for the tip on the in line FM override. My only concern is in my area (NYC), we have very little dead space. Quite a bit of space that I don't mind blocking out. Does this override totally block out the FM reception for that frequency? I've tried those FM transmitters and because of the lack of dead air in my area the quality varied greatly within only 2 miles from my house.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:38 PM
wmcnally
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don and rickey,

In my opinion you can't get CD quality sound through an FM modulator even in the best of circumstances. I wanted to keep my factory "head"
and add an aftermarket CD changer. After much research I found the answer @ a company called Peripheral.

If audio inputs are what you want go here: http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/aux_in.asp
and scroll down to FORD.

If you want to add a cd changer and control it from your Ford radio go to this page: http://peripheralelectronics.com/200...rd_lincoln.asp

Good Luck,

Bill

Last edited by wmcnally; 07-23-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I put this set up in my Wifes Aerostar, for a 12 CD player several years ago, and she hasn't complained yet. I use a station at the low end. There was some remark in the insructions, but I don't remember what it said. Go to Crutchfeild.com and get their 800 number. They will be able to help you and get the part you need. Make sure it has a limiter! PS B' Buy really screwed me on this!! Also we live in the D.C. area and haven't had a problem any where we go.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:43 AM
donmccarty
New User

Thanks everyone for your input. Both the FM override and the additional inputs provided by peripheral electronics seem like a great idea.

I'll speak to crutchfield and I've also emailed peripheral electronics to see if there are any issues about not having a cd changer controller unit. They state a cd changer is not required but I suspect a controller unit is required.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it pans out.

---Don