Questions for Fifth Wheel Newbe

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Stevem4134
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for Fifth Wheel Newbe

Hello

I have a 2011 F250 with 20" wheels. This came from the factory set up this way. I have not lifted it or modified it in any way.

I want to buy a fifth wheel Flagstaff 8528IKWS and am worried that the bed rail to trailer clearance is not going to reach the recommended 6 to 8 inches.

Per the dealer, the axles on the Flagstaff can not be flipped and must have a lift kit welded on to them and that I may have to replace the existing entrance steps.

Dealer also says that the underbed rails for the hitch causes the pucks to extend 3/8" to 1 inch above the top of the floor ribs making the need to place lumber and plywood into the bed to get a flat floor.

Questions
Does anybody own a 8528IKWS and F250 with 20" wheels?

What did you do to achieve the recommended bed rail to trailer clearance?

Is there a fifth wheel hitch out there that gives true flat bed floor without the need to use lumber and plywood?

What is better, under bed rails or above bed rails for the hitch?

Thanks
Steve

Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the dealer have one on the lot? Back under it and see for yourself. Add an inch or two for truck squat.

I'd be real curious as to why the axles can't be flipped. And you don't really HAVE to replace your fold out steps, you will just have a little higher first step. My previous 5th wheel had the axles flipped and the original steps. Not really a big deal.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Not sure, but it is generally the case the modifications of anything on an RV void the warranty. Has anyone had a dealer who will flip the axles on a new unit? Unless the manufacturer approves the mod., the liability is so large most dealers and techs will not make the mods. I know I routinely refuse to do things with well known components until the warranty is done. The parts catalogs even have listing for the part you have to use before and after warranty. I would suggest calling the manufacturer and see what they say.

I agree regarding the steps. just put something at the last step to step off on. We use a step stool.

Steve

Old 02-23-2015, 10:36 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,429 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Sounds like hyperboil to me.

Measure the distance from the king pin box to ground.

Then measure from ground to bedrails.

Just get 18" wheels for the truck would be cheaper or upsize the trailer wheels/rims.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix

Just get 18" wheels for the truck would be cheaper or upsize the trailer wheels/rims.
This is the most practical fix. The hitch needs to be mounted and adjusted to the hitch manufacturer instructions. The manufacturer will tell you what alignment and clearances should be maintained. I found the dealer never really read the manufacturer manual when they installed mine (a manly thing). They assumed 5 inches was enough bed clearance when the company recommended 6 inches minimum and 8 - 10 inches for off road use. I ended up with a scar on my tonneau cover as a result. Could have been worse.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:56 AM
DPhillips
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix

18" wheels or 20" wheels will not make a difference. The tire diameters are most likely the same.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by DPhillips
18" wheels or 20" wheels will not make a difference. The tire diameters are most likely the same.
Assuming that he has the oem size tire you would be correct. I don't understand why he would have a clearance issue if the truck suspension is stock. That style fifth wheel is towed by thousands of F 250s. The dealer should be able to get this right.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by Good listener
Assuming that he has the oem size tire you would be correct. I don't understand why he would have a clearance issue if the truck suspension is stock. That style fifth wheel is towed by thousands of F 250s. The dealer should be able to get this right.
Forum link ;
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/towing-the-flagstaff-8528ikws-36362.html

Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevem4134
Dealer also says that the underbed rails for the hitch causes the pucks to extend 3/8" to 1 inch above the top of the floor ribs making the need to place lumber and plywood into the bed to get a flat floor.

The pucks on the Ford / Reese Elite system only stick up a minimal amount over the bed ribs. Not enough to be an issue. I know Senix has pictures of his floating around. I don't have any pics of mine, but I'd take the Reese Elite over rails any day of the week.

What did you do to achieve the recommended bed rail to trailer clearance?

I solved the issue with a dually....................sits about 4" lower in the back than SRW. Rail clearance and a level trailer were part of the reasoning for that decision. The SRW's are really tall.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,429 Likes on 1,022 Posts

here is what the pucks look like. I would not be worried about them

Old 02-23-2015, 07:00 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Depending on what hitch you have or buy, it can be adjusted up or down.
I've got 3 1/2" in adjustability on my Reese 16k unit.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Stevem4134
Freshman User
Hey thanks for the information. The tires and wheels are OEM. But I did forget to mention the truck is a 4x4. Hopefully that does not change any of the answers.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Good listener
Senior User
Hey thanks for the information. The tires and wheels are OEM. But I did forget to mention the truck is a 4x4. Hopefully that does not change any of the answers.
4x4's fit just fine. I have one and most of the ones that I've seen hauling that style trailer do not need any modification.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Good listener
Senior User
4x4's fit just fine. I have one and most of the ones that I've seen hauling that style trailer do not need any modification.
The weight of the hitch and frame/rails lower the bed height. Don't go by an unloaded measurement.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:06 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,511 Likes on 1,314 Posts
The weight of the hitch and frame/rails lower the bed height. Don't go by an unloaded measurement.
Maybe your hitch and frames/ rails weigh more than mine but it does not lower the the truck and if it does it can't be by much at all that can be seen with a visual measurement with out tape ruler.

Quick Reply: Questions for Fifth Wheel Newbe