Sponsored by: Moser

Electric Fan on Super Cooling radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 AM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Electric Fan on Super Cooling radiator

I have searched this forum for hours and cannot find anything for a Mark VIII fan on a super cooling radiator.

I would like to see pics of the fan on the super cooler radiator. Want to make sure it will fit right before buying everything. I only have about 3" depth from radiator shroud flanges to the water pump pulley without the mechanical fan.

I am planning to do the 2 speed lincoln fan with the DC controller and temp sensor mounted in the water outlet neck. I have a 460 with AC and also have the 3g alternator already installed.

Mark VIII fans are tough to find in my area used so considering buying a new one Dorman 620-118 around $75.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Couldda saved yourself those hours by referring to the tech info compilation sticky where links are provided.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 AM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Couldda saved yourself those hours by referring to the tech info compilation sticky where links are provided.
Looked through those first. Nothing shows the big tank super cooling radiator.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:55 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Ah ...it,s a specific pic you're looking for.... chances are slim but possible.

A pic can be informative but measurements of the fan, depth and offset of the fan motor vertically and laterally, would be more useful given you have only three inches of clearance.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts
Lincoln Mk VIII two-speed fan, Taurus or Lincoln cars.
A 95 Mercury villager minivan with a 3.3L V6. The stock radiator for this thing was a gigantic three core all aluminum radiator. However, the fan for this was a gigantic 19" two speed fan. This thing is massive. Bigger than a mark viii. If anyone's interested, I did some research the 92-2002 Villager is a rebadged Nissan quest.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14955940

See Electric Fans/Cooling Upgrades

Super Cooling radiator (26 1/4" wide x 24 11/16" high). The top tank is HUGE, it's wider and deeper than the standard/xtra cooling & A/C radiators (that are 26 1/4" x 19 3/4"), overlaps the core.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 AM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Lincoln Mk VIII two-speed fan, Taurus or Lincoln cars.
If anyone's interested, I did some research the 92-2002 Villager is a rebadged Nissan quest.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14955940

See Electric Fans/Cooling Upgrades

Super Cooling radiator (26 1/4" wide x 24 11/16" high). The top tank is HUGE, it's wider and deeper than the standard/xtra cooling & A/C radiators (that are 26 1/4" x 19 3/4"), overlaps the core.
What do you know about the research? Looks like it might be a good fit for the big radiator.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts
This info is a copy and paste of information from a fellow FTE member. I myself have not been able to locate a 95 Mercury villager minivan with a 3.3L V6 or a 92-2002 Villager this is a rebadged a Nissan Quest in my local Jy to confirm it.

I am sure a few phone call to some local newer JY's with it all on computer could help out locating one. My JY is still a walk around a pick and pull yourself and haggle prices.

Just thought I would throw that info out there to maybe help with you question.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:40 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked out a large fan from a ford tarus. Not sure if it's similar to what you have. It's a two speed fan and I used an RV relay to power the high side. And several other relays to prevent power going to both motors all controlled by my VEMS EFI computer. I like the idea of the Rad fan only coming on when it needs to and not wasting fuel to spin it when the temps are below zero.

My '78 F150 has a 4.9L Inline 6 and is fairly long in the engine bay. And I pulled a Econoline Radiator and cut and stuffed it into the truck and is considerably larger than stock. I have my fan sunk very close to the radiator fins about 1 1/4" from the mounting flange on the radiator. The Water Pump Pulley would interfere with the back of the Rad Fan but they are off set enough and is a very close fit. I can't see why it could be an issue if you can move it around a bit. have a look at the pictures and hopefully it'll inspire you to make the jump to an electric fan.

edit: Looks like the Mark VIII and this fan are similar, but mark VIII has a larger diameter Fan. How close to the front does the fan blades run? maybe you can cut some of the front off to sink it close to the fins? Maybe rotate it to get the Fan motor around to avoid water pump interference?

Mine looks like this one, except this one has it's tabs cut off:

The pictures don't show the aluminum angle iron, but you can kinda see it and the reinforcing I bit because my fan had huge cracks along the edges. You can see the offset and how close this is, but as long as the motor doesn't move forward or back, it'll be fine:
Attachment 290682

Another shot, jus cos. You can see the hockey tape I used on the wiring for abrasion resistance and to protect the layer of silicon 'magic wrap':
Attachment 290683

Another Edit: I found this over at vintage-mustang.com's forums. This guy build a whole neato aluminum shroud that looks killer!

Last edited by ZarK-eh; 02-19-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: edit because I didn't read Mark VIII fan...
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Mark VIII fan on a bump radiator

Installed in front of an FE:

Old 02-19-2015, 05:22 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The same fan is also found on some years of Lincoln Continentals.

Clearance between the radiator and water pump pulley was a major issue for me, so I ended up having to trim a bit of the front of the efan shroud off so that I could mount it closer to the radiator. You have to be careful doing this though, as you don't want to take so much off the shroud that the fan or shroud will be riding on the radiator.

Also, you probably will want to do a 3G alternator swap if you haven't already... The Mark VIII fan has a pretty high startup draw and enough of a draw while running that you might not be comfortable having the heat and lights on at the same time.

A lot of good info about it on this page: Taurus Mark VIII Fan Information

Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Lincoln Mark VIII Measurements

I have another Mark VIII fan destined for my 73. These measurements should provide enough info to determine whether if there is enough room:
  • Height, shroud - 19 inches
  • Width, shroud - 22 inches
  • Total depth, shroud face to rear hub of motor: 6.5 inches
  • Depth from shroud face to fan's front hub - 0.875-inch (7/8ths)
  • Rear hub diameter (the metal part) - 4 inches
  • Horizontal offset of fan motor - One inch from shroud's center towards passenger side (10 inches from right side, 12 inches from left).

The height and width measurements above do not include the mounting arms projecting from the shroud.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:26 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
This is how I mounted mine on a super cool. I do not recommend doing it this way. You are better off leaving the open radiator space as my fan ran constantly when it was hot.

Keep in mind a super cool with this fan is a tight fit. Getting your positioning right is very important to keep the water pump pulley from making contact. Your are going to have to trim some of the depth of the shroud off. Fortunately you can trim quite a bit before you get close to the radiator with the fan.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Co425,

The blanked off area of your shroud should have rubber flaps to allow trapped air to bleed off so the electric fan can freewheel at slower rate. When the fan is on, the vacuum will pull them closed and suck all the air through the shroud. The flappers can simply made of light weight rubber sheet and secured with some push-in "christmas tree" retainers.

In terms of trimming the shroud's face, about 1/2-inch max to play it safe. If you're really good at trimming, then about 5/8ths is safe I figure.

Here's an example of the flaps:

Old 02-19-2015, 11:06 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Co425,

The blanked off area of your shroud should have rubber flaps to allow trapped air to bleed off so the electric fan can freewheel at slower rate. When the fan is on, the vacuum will pull them closed and suck all the air through the shroud. The flappers can simply made of light weight rubber sheet and secured with some push-in "christmas tree" retainers.

In terms of trimming the shroud's face, about 1/2-inch max to play it safe. If you're really good at trimming, then about 5/8ths is safe I figure.

Here's an example of the flaps:

I agree. That setup is long ago removed from my truck. If I happen to ever use that setup again it will get some flaps.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 AM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would using a serpentine belt setup provide more clearance for the fan?

Might also help with the 3G alternator squeal if you have a single V belt on it.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan on Super Cooling radiator