1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Does the Colorado Make a Compelling Case for a Ranger Revival?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:33 PM
edtahaney
FTE Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Does the Colorado Make a Compelling Case for a Ranger Revival?

Read the latest news by Chad Kirchner here:

Does the Colorado Make a Compelling Case for a Ranger Revival? - Ford Trucks

Should Ford bring the Ranger back to the U.S. now?

Old 02-17-2015, 03:13 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
There are a lot of Ranger fans out there. It seems like a no brainer to bring a truck they already build to this market. Me I'll probably stick with the F150.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:51 PM
cwtaylor737
New User
Interesting case that the Ranger is coming back

Having spent the last 30 years working in the auto industry and living in Detroit for 50 years, I have learned to identify trends. Last spring I saw no fewer than 6 of the new Rangers roaming around Detroit with manufacturer plates. This tells me Ford is doing some development testing on US roads. That testing would be with an eye towards introduction North America. So the key will be how well the Colorado sells. The mid size market has been stuck at 250,000 units for a long time. To make the Ranger work in the NA it will take about 75,000 units. So if Colorado can get to that range then it might help make the case for the Ranger.

As an interesting side note. The new Ranger looks a lot like the last Explorer Sport-Trac on first glance. With a little more study you can see the differences.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:59 PM
edtahaney
FTE Editor
That sounds like encouraging news and now we'll just have to wait and see - hopefully more Rangers on the streets of Detroit too.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:46 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
If things go according to plan I will be purchasing a new truck in the next year. Would like to buy another Ford but not thrilled with an F150. Not thrilled with a Cheby either. Test drove a few 2015 Colorado's with V6 and auto trans, they are nice trucks, not going to diss em. I do like them. Biggest down for me on the Colorado is the ugly plastic front bumper, lack of stock(selection) at dealers, and prices. Dealers won't come down more than 1-2k so they cost as much as a lower model F150 with same gadgets and options. Maybe that will change as 2016 models start hitting lots.

As far as a new Ranger, would love it. But even if it's released before I'm ready to buy, new models rarely get any decent discounts, so doubtful for me.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by edtahaney
Should Ford bring the Ranger back to the U.S. now?
I wouldn't be interested if:
1. The engine is pointed sideways
2. It's primarily front wheel drive and just an Explorer in disguise
3. It's not much smaller than the F150
4. It doesn't have a 2 speed transfer case
5. It doesn't have a manual transmission (I know this is a long shot but I would probably overlook this if Ford could deliver on 1 - 4)

To get what I want (or don't want), I'll just get a four door Wrangler and buy a trailer. Or maybe a Toyota Tacoma sans trailer. The FJ has been continued, but I would have considered that, too. These models at least list a manual transmission as available and I have seen a few out there.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 AM
truckfreak69
Posting Guru
I believe the reason they've eliminated it from their lineup to begin with were the CAFE standards (total fleet must maintain X average MPG).

From a personal perspective, I do not see the point of a mid-size truck; you either want a small truck with really good gas mileage and a cheap price that offsets the lack of capability, or you spring for the full-size. I don't believe many people bought Rangers because they wouldn't have liked a full-size, they bought them because they needed/wanted a truck and likely aspired to a full-size but couldn't afford the up-front cost, or the cost of putting fuel in the thing.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
Originally Posted by truckfreak69
From a personal perspective, I do not see the point of a mid-size truck; you either want a small truck with really good gas mileage and a cheap price that offsets the lack of capability, or you spring for the full-size.
That I agreed with and it's why the EU ranger won't work here, if it sells it will eat into F150 sales but I suspect many people will balk at paying almost the same money for something that isn't really much smaller, lighter, or better on gas than the current F150.

I don't believe many people bought Rangers because they wouldn't have liked a full-size, they bought them because they needed/wanted a truck and likely aspired to a full-size but couldn't afford the up-front cost, or the cost of putting fuel in the thing.
This I don't agree with, I have owned both and even both at the same time, for many people a truck is a tool and you pick the one that best suits the job at hand. When I bought Rangers it was because I didn't need or want the size and capability of a full size truck but still needed some truck capability.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:09 AM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all about market share and the age of prime buyers...younger people want bigger vehicles, not smaller ones...elsewise the foreign auto makers wouldn't be making/marketing the Tundra and Titan with fuel thirty V8s. I want a eco-diesel Ranger, or some version of it.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:53 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
I believe the reason they've eliminated it from their lineup to begin with were the CAFE standards (total fleet must maintain X average MPG).

From a personal perspective, I do not see the point of a mid-size truck; you either want a small truck with really good gas mileage and a cheap price that offsets the lack of capability, or you spring for the full-size. I don't believe many people bought Rangers because they wouldn't have liked a full-size, they bought them because they needed/wanted a truck and likely aspired to a full-size but couldn't afford the up-front cost, or the cost of putting fuel in the thing.

I don't see this. Knowing 30-40 Ranger owners (personally, not internet) over the years I can think of three or four that aspired to own a fullsize truck. One made the trade a few months ago. Another, step kid actually, just graduated and will most likely trade in in for an F150 in the next year or two.

I had F150's and one F250 as daily drivers for 15+ years before buying my Ranger. IF I went back to an F150 it would only be out of brand loyalty to Ford, or lack of any mini/mid size truck that trips my trolley.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:32 AM
truckfreak69
Posting Guru
I've had 3 rangers and one F-150; The rangers are great trucks, and I enjoyed them very much, but if everything was equal (fuel cost, up-front purchase price) I'd definitely prefer a larger vehicle. I now have a Jeep Wrangler, and very much enjoy it. I would have liked a full-size truck, but the Jeep offers me off-road capability and seating for four, at 10-20K less than a similarly equipped F-150 or Tacoma. Not to mention, the resale value is phenomenal. Granted, I don't have a bed (kept my 96 ranger for that, and also have a trailer), but I have bluetooth, Satellite radio, power windows, solid axles, and a great V6 for 28K. That's base-model territory and 2WD for most trucks these days.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Josh S
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe many people bought Rangers because they wouldn't have liked a full-size, they bought them because they needed/wanted a truck and likely aspired to a full-size but couldn't afford the up-front cost, or the cost of putting fuel in the thing.
There may have been some truth to that when comparing a new ranger to a new F150 but today the cost difference between a 5 year old ranger vs. a similar vintage F150 is not as significant; and I suspect most who would be happier in an F150 have since moved on. What we're left with is a community of Ranger enthusiasts who choose to drive compact pickups because, as Conanski said, they are the best fit for us. I am bothered by the mentality that more is always better. That AT&T commercial where the businessman brainwashes a group of kids comes to mind and I cringe whenever it airs. In the case of the F150: more money to purchase, more effort to repair, more fuel consumption, more difficult to maneuver, more garage needed to contain it, on and on. I assure you there are members here with enough in savings to cover the cost of a new F150 but choose not to. I choose to continue driving my 21 year old Ranger because it meets my needs and I like it.
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone." Thoreau

Old 02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tmcalavy
It's all about market share and the age of prime buyers...younger people want bigger vehicles, not smaller ones...elsewise the foreign auto makers wouldn't be making/marketing the Tundra and Titan with fuel thirty V8s. I want a eco-diesel Ranger, or some version of it.

Amen to the eco diesel! I don't need a big truck... I pull my motorcycle to the stealership to get worked on, haul weed eaters, mowers, and lumber from time to time... and as a daily driver the eco diesel would be perfect especially with my long distand trips of 3+ hours every other week..

I would also want a 6 speed manual behind it....

Old 02-19-2015, 02:05 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
My uncle has a 2012 Ranger 4x4 and my brother has a 2014 F150 V6 4x2. My brother gets slightly better MPG's than my uncle. They both drive mostly city. Not exactly apples to apples comparison but still interesting.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:10 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
That is an interesting comparison....

Let the minds wander a bit....

I wonder what the 4cyl eco boost would do in a 2012 ranger 4x4?

Ok I planted the seed....someone with more money than me needs to get on this build!

Quick Reply: Does the Colorado Make a Compelling Case for a Ranger Revival?