Sponsored by:

scratched side window glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:56 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
scratched side window glass

I read the tsb for this which mentions new weatherstripping and new glass as a fix. Then I read where people with the new weatherstripping still had this problem. My passengers window has one deep scratch and it sounds like a diamond bit in the door grinding against it but only when rolling them up. I have removed and cleaned the weatherstripping and can find no reason this is happening. Has anyone successfully cured this and how? Thanks!

Old 02-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
No idea here either but my windows look bad too

Old 02-13-2015, 01:07 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the same boat, went on vacation and this happened...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3029
Size:  229.1 KB
I have a few scratches on my driver and passenger side from lowering and raising my windows.
When I get the time I'm replacing both the rubber and the glass. Don't know of another cure.

I will tell you if you have it done at ford and it scratches up again they will replace it under there 2 year warranty.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver

Damn those wheels look good LivingLarge!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I'm in the same boat, went on vacation and this happened... I have a few scratches on my driver and passenger side from lowering and raising my windows. When I get the time I'm replacing both the rubber and the glass. Don't know of another cure. I will tell you if you have it done at ford and it scratches up again they will replace it under there 2 year warranty.
An alternative to the Moneybags approach is also just having a good glass shop buff and polish the windows. Similar to getting scuffs and scratches polished out of a watch crystal.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:28 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
An alternative to the Moneybags approach is also just having a good glass shop buff and polish the windows. Similar to getting scuffs and scratches polished out of a watch crystal.
Thanks Matt, tomorrow I'll call rolex and have my windows custom made from watch crystal

Old 02-13-2015, 08:40 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
I just have one scratch and its deep. Sounds like something cutting into the glass when raising it. But I can't see anything capable of that. Its a lower priority issue, I just want to stop it from getting worse. Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Thanks Matt, tomorrow I'll call rolex and have my windows custom made from watch crystal
Well that didn't go as I had hoped, hahaha. Well played sir.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:49 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
There are folks that buff out the scratches on the glass/ceramic range tops with metal polish and a buffer. I don't see why it wouldn't work on auto glass. Knock on wood, none of mine are scratched...YET.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FordxFour
I don't see why it wouldn't work on auto glass.
Because that would be to easy... I think I may give this a shot since I don't have tint on my windows! I can be the guinea pig lol. Now to acquire the items...

Old 02-15-2015, 02:38 AM
Fordsdad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can not polish out the heavy scratches in your door windows. They time spent to polish would not be worth the money. Also, keep in mind that polishing scratches in glass will only leave a distortion in the glass because you are removing a portion of the glass to get rid of the scratch. Replace the outer belt moulding and the glass itself.

When washing the truck roll down the windows and rub the inner part of the belt moulding with a wet rag to help remove the dirt that gets lodged in the felt/cat whisker surface that contacts the glass. Blowing it off with compressed air works great as well if you have access to a compressor.

I see this issue in my shop all the time and there is no quick and cheap repair.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:41 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
I keep mine really clean and even use silicone on all rubber strips. Still happening. I need to take the door apart and make sure a diamond isn't lodged in there. Thanks for the tips and reassurance that I'm not the only one!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Fordsdad
You can not polish out the heavy scratches in your door windows. They time spent to polish would not be worth the money. Also, keep in mind that polishing scratches in glass will only leave a distortion in the glass because you are removing a portion of the glass to get rid of the scratch.
Reps sent... saved me some time and my glass!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Glass is liquid, it is constantly moving.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Glass is liquid, it is constantly moving.
I thought that was proven wrong back in 1800 something

Glass includes all materials which are structurally similar to a liquid. However, under ambient temperature they react to the impact of force with elastic deformation and therefore have to be considered as solids.

Quick Reply: scratched side window glass