1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 F250 FX4 snow plow

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:36 AM
PearlFX4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F250 FX4 snow plow

So, I am new here. I am wanting to put a plow on my truck. The dealer asked me what the rating was for the front suspension.
Not sure how I would know that, maybe in the door code?
I have a 2010 F250 Supercrew with the FX4 package. I do have an additional package to add more carrying capacity to the bed, which is 6.5 or 6.8
But was wondering if I got a Boss XT V plow would I have to upgrade the front suspension?

Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Ranger1980
Senior User
6.5 foot V? I would upgrade to plow prep springs. those v plows and frames are heavy.

Personally, I would upgrade the truck to something 450 or larger. Plows KILL trucks. I run a landscape and plowing business. I have nothing smaller than a 1 ton with a plow hung off of it. I would never put a plow on anything smaller than a 350 if you are doing any plowing aside from your own driveway.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 AM
PearlFX4
Freshman User
Yeah, not doing anything except my drives(two). My brother had a light duty 250(98) and he had a boss with a 7.6 blade on it. He did ok with his business. Truck had 225k on it when he sold it. He did have to upgrade suspension when he put the blade on it.
I have a larger radiator and oil cooler on it, but was unsure about front suspension. One dealer tells me I need nothing on the front. The other plow dealer has not said yet.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ranger1980
6.5 foot V? I would upgrade to plow prep springs. those v plows and frames are heavy.

Personally, I would upgrade the truck to something 450 or larger. Plows KILL trucks. I run a landscape and plowing business. I have nothing smaller than a 1 ton with a plow hung off of it. I would never put a plow on anything smaller than a 350 if you are doing any plowing aside from your own driveway.
A 250 and A 350 are the exact same truck outside of the blocks on the rear axel. If you do not have the plow prep package then you can upgrade the front springs and you should be good to go. I have an 04 F250 and have plowed with it every year and outside of 1 set of ball joints have not had a single problem. I truly believe that how hard you push the truck has a lot to do with how it will hold up, I would recommend and real trans temp gage to see how hard your pushing the truck, I have stopped and let it cool down some when out in deep heavy snow. I have the scan gage 2 so I can monitor all temps and love it.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM
PearlFX4
Freshman User
Good replies thanx. I know the dealer that I am waiting on to call me will undoubtedly know, he sells a ton of plows. But I was trying to see how much it was totally gonna cost me to do this, to see if I think it is worth it.
I have a compact utility tractor with a rear plow and front end loader on it.
So, I am not shoveling, but I plowed for my brother a few times and it is much quicker.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by rwilimo
A 250 and A 350 are the exact same truck outside of the blocks on the rear axel. If you do not have the plow prep package then you can upgrade the front springs and you should be good to go. I have an 04 F250 and have plowed with it every year and outside of 1 set of ball joints have not had a single problem. I truly believe that how hard you push the truck has a lot to do with how it will hold up, I would recommend and real trans temp gage to see how hard your pushing the truck, I have stopped and let it cool down some when out in deep heavy snow. I have the scan gage 2 so I can monitor all temps and love it.
GVW makes a big difference in liability insurance in a commercial application. My ins. company will not even insure anything with a plow under a one ton. This winter I have had my trucks running 16+ hours at a stretch with 3 crews at times. the 99 3500 has needed 2 u joints, 2 tie rods, lower ball joints and a new rad. The Topkick withthe 10 footter and the sander has needed a trans service, all ballljoints and outer tie rods. My residential plow is a 92 f350. it needs a new front end every year. My company does over 10,000miles of plowing a year, both commercial and residential.
Plow trucks last about 2-3 years in my exp. before diminishing returns kicks in. My lawn service trucks last 3-4 years before needing major service. Plow trucks seem to be breaking something every week...no matter what brand they are.

Hijack off.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by PearlFX4
Good replies thanx. I know the dealer that I am waiting on to call me will undoubtedly know, he sells a ton of plows. But I was trying to see how much it was totally gonna cost me to do this, to see if I think it is worth it.
I have a compact utility tractor with a rear plow and front end loader on it.
So, I am not shoveling, but I plowed for my brother a few times and it is much quicker.
Have remotes and a pto on that tractor? If so, spend the plow money on a rear mount 6 foot blower. Blowing snow>plowing it.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 AM
PearlFX4
Freshman User
Yeah, I considered that a few years ago. I do have a pto on it. I put a rototiller on in
the summer. I even considered a plow for my UTV, but they are almost as much as for the truck. I only have a razor 4 so the only come with a poly blade and do not think that would do. I will have to look at snowblower prices for the tractor. I have a huge snow blower, but do not use it much with the tractor. My one drive is about 170 ft long. The one here is not that long, but have an oval in addition here. 6500 is a lot of money just to clear your own drives.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 PM
edtam
New User
My 15 F250 came with the plow package. But the 8ft 2 Boss Dxt is sweet but heavy. Pulls down the front end 1.5"when raised. I added a 1" leveling spacer so it doesn't look so bad. Also have 600# of ballast behind the rear axle to help with traction. I only plow for my own use, and immediately take the plow off when finished. 6.2 engine works pretty well. I also use tow haul mode, so the transmission doesn't shift so soon. The biggest thing is, I don't beat up my truck. I don't have to be in that big of hurry.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:01 PM
PearlFX4
Freshman User
Yeah, the DXT is about 150 lbs heavier than the XT. The mount is also a little heavier, but I might ask the installer if I should put some spacers or air bags in. Not sure what the diff is between a DXT and an XT?
I read the book and everything looks the same?
Is yours a diesel?

Old 02-13-2015, 03:54 PM
edtam
New User
Mine is the 6.2 gas. The spacer helps the looks, the air bags in the front would help the sag. I would like to install air bags soon. I have to be careful though, since i do such little plowing, the cost may not be worth it. DXT is dual trip. The cutting edge trips and the mold board trips. On the XT, just the mold board trips.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 PM
PearlFX4
Freshman User
I see dual trip. Wonder why it is so much heavier? Maybe more springs and braces?'
I sent an email to my tractor dealer to see what the cost of a snowblower for my tractor. Of course I do not have a cab. And I would have to back up the whole time and I hurt my neck once so it is not easy for me to do that very long without having problems. I worked for Ford for 31 years.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:58 PM
edtam
New User
I kind of have the same situation. I have a JD 4720 with a loader and snow blower. But the older I get, the colder I get. The Boss plow was not cheap, and I know it was overkill to get the Boss. But we live on a gravel road that I sometimes have to plow to get out. Sometimes I spend a little more to get the best. When I'm out working, I don't want break downs if I can help it. Now I can sit in a warm truck, on a comfortable seat, use the mirrors when backing up and even listen to the radio while pushing snow. Hopefully this truck and plow will last many years.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:20 PM
PearlFX4
Freshman User
I used to ride my motorcycle to work all year long. The only days that I did not ride was when it was foggy or there was ice on the road. But now, I won't even ride my ATV or UTV around a little in the winter. As much as I hate the cold, I hate when it is really hot worse. It seems to affect me more. I got heat exhaustion a few times at work and a couple of times outside of work too. There were days when places I had to work in the plant were 130 deg. Of course most people think if you were in the UAW, you sat around in the air conditioning sipping lemonade. I am not pro union, but there are some myths out there.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:02 AM
rjcorazza
Senior User
On my 2011 the spring code is on the door plate, or you can read the part number off the spring itself, assuming the tag has not fallen off.
I have a 7.5' Western Pro Plow on an F250 with camper prep package (+1 front springs). Most of the posts I've read recommend 6000 lb front springs, mine are 5600 lb which allow the front end to lower about 1" with the weight of the plow. Adding coil air bags bring it up to stock. I believe my plow weighs just under 800lbs, so it is probably lighter than the large V plows you are looking at...

Quick Reply: 2010 F250 FX4 snow plow