Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

HELP! my steering has a mind of its own!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 04:09 PM
smokey6309028
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! my steering has a mind of its own!!!

The Truck: 1976 F100 2wd Auto 390 stepside-8ft
Oh my god. I just got my truck back from the shop. Keep in mind that it has been there since i bought it-months ago. And today was the first time I actually got to drive the damn thing on the road.
Here is my problem/s:
1-The steering feels totaly mushy. I have power steering, but the truck will pull to either side when it wants to, and there is no "feel" to the steering. It feels very unsafe. It has new tires. I am not sure if it has been aligned, but this feels more severe than an alignment problem. What could it be??

2-They supposedly put new brake rotors/pads on the front, new rear drums/pads, and new brake lines. Yet my brake pedal travel is only about 1-2 inches max, and they dont feel strong at all.Profanity Removed!

3-After an engine "tune-up", it still feels rough. It IS an old engine with alot of miles. They supposedly replaced pluds wires and rotor, adjusted timing too i think?

4-Transmission CLUNKS into reverse and is not smoooth when putting it into drive either, but not as bad as reverse. Seems to shift OK, but i havent gotten the thing over 35 mph's yet. Is this a 4 speed or 3 speed ?

The steering is my biggest issue right now...it feels really really bad. Please, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-22-2003, 11:54 PM
fordmudrunner2020
Senior User

Get a friend to get in qand turn the sterring wheel side to side and check all the way through your steering system for play. Your other problems sound like the truck is getting old and needs some major attention. And for that attention I wouldn't take it back to the place you just got it back from.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:42 PM
carlo
Junior User

Biggest things about trucks this old, you have to treat them like you want to be treated. I know it sounds hilarious, but trucks this old need attention like no other purchase you've had. If you're using the truck as an everyday driver, be ready for some early morning surprises. Things happen when you least expect them to. It's really nothing you need to be too concerned about, you just need to get it worked on by a shop who you can trust. It sounds like this shop didn't do too well. I have loose stearing, poor braking, and bad jumps when i put it into gear. There are many quirks to my vehicle, and I doubt I'm the only one in here, but once you learn to drive it, it's very nice. Not saying that you do, but never expect this truck to ever handle or perform like most anything you've ever driven.

Bring it to a reputable mechanics shop in the area, I would suggest a chain, such as Pep Boys. They can check out your alignment, your tie rod ends (common cause for vague steering), your brake pads, rotors, calipers, and determine what is necessary to get it running properly. For braking, check to make sure your master cylinder is full of fluid and all your lines are free of air and dirt.

Good luck, and have fun with it.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:34 PM
smokey6309028
Senior User

Actually, your post was dead on, i believe. After driving the truck for a couple of days, im getting more used to the steering and braking. The steering still has a little play to it, but its not as bad as i had originally thought. Probably just such a drastic change from my daily driving auto's that i was shocked by it. I used to own a 77 buick Electra that had similar steering, so i'm not too worried. One of my mechanics told me he put a steering damper on his 79 and it helped out alot with it. Since it will be extremely cheap to do, i'm considering this.
As far as the brakes go, the do STOP the truck, it just requires a bit of force. I think I'll have to check the fluid level, and master cylinder. The truck had new rotors, pads, drums/pads, and lines installed, so they should be problem free.
The next concern is the suspension. It is very tired in this old truck, and you feel every little bump. I'm guessing i need new shocks/struts? You guys recomend a certain brand for a good ride? I dont want it to lean in turns, but id like it to be comfortable.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Old 07-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Dartagnan00001
Junior User

takes a few miles for the pads and shoes to "match" to the rotors and drums so that should improve your braking some unless the shop did it already, (you'd know, they charge for it). Steering problems can also be related to radius arm bushings being shot (very common), On an older vehicle you get a degree here and a degree there it all adds up to quite a bit of play. Another thing on steering is castor. Castor is what makes the wheel go back to straight when you let go. Thing is, if you're not looking for it, you don't always realize that you are turning it back yourself, but it makes vehicle seem loose, because you constantly have to turn the wheel back and forth to remain centered on the blacktop.

So to continue in this line, anybody got access to the front end alignment specs for a 1985 f250 dually? I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks
Dart

Old 07-25-2003, 01:47 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

A steering damper helps, though from what you describe you could have a blown shock. The only way to really check it is to take it off the truck and test by hand.

Then check your kingpins.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:39 PM
carlo
Junior User

Well, I'm glad you're getting used to it. It will also take a while to get in the groove of switching vehicles so often. I also drive a Grand Marquis, which rides so comfortable, takes off like a jet, and handles like its nothing, and a Ford Windstar, with front wheel drive power, as well as the occasional PT Cruiser rides.

For your truck, does it have a power brake booster? I know right now I am replacing everything brake related, beings its now 18 years old, and with me driving it daily now, I can't have them going out on me. Calipers are 15 dollars per wheel, and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about my drums in the rear. Master cylinder is only around 15 dollars remanufactured, and the Power Booster is what's really gonna cost me. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the same thing I'm doing here, tearing it all apart and replacing all the components, with your steering.

I work at Pep Boys, so I decided that my van has a rebuilt motor in it, so why not restore all the other components. Piece by piece I'm going to replace most mechanical aspects of the vehicle, and in all actuality, there are many things that can be done yourself, with little effort and minimal time, and around 50 dollars.

Good luck with your truck, remember to always check your fluids on it especially brake fluid.