Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Finally Changed 4R100 Filter & Cleaned Pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Finally Changed 4R100 Filter & Cleaned Pan

After 270k and 9 fluid changes we finally changed filter and cleaned pan. Very happy with what we found! Filter is in EXCELLENT condition, but we replaced it anyway. Knock on wood!

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2015, 06:29 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
After 270k and 9 fluid changes we finally changed filter and cleaned pan. Very happy with what we found! Filter is in EXCELLENT condition, but we replaced it anyway. Knock on wood!
Looks good! Stay with whatever routine you've been doing.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by mueckster
Looks good! Stay with whatever routine you've been doing.
We let the pan drain all night like you said. We had right at 6 quarts by morning. It seems like that damn filter holds 10 gallons though, and no matter how we tried to hold it ATF came out. At the end we looked like Charles Manson had paid us a visit. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-07-2015, 10:41 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 240 Likes on 163 Posts
I will be a happy camper if mine last to 270,000 miles
only 59,000 miles to match yours.

Glad you found what you found

Old 02-07-2015, 10:58 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!
Just goes to show that if you change out the ATF at the recommended intervals, you can keep it looking good.
That pan is amazingly clean for that many miles.
Good job.

Here's a thread on my 4r100 with over 300k. You can see the residual on the magnetic. I don't see much of anything on yours.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-tranny.html

Old 02-08-2015, 05:10 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Thanks! I had a friend/master mechanic scare me into dropping pan. He said it would be covered in clutch sludge. We drive mostly on limerick roads, and the bumps would cause that sludge to rise and clog filter prematurely and/or get back into transmission somehow. My retort was, I change the fluid every 30k which should help remove 'some' of the finer suspended particles, I hoped. Then I went further and stated that 'I was informed' that Ford declares the filter is a lifetime filter, 'if' ATF is changed at recommended intervals. He replied that sounds like the response of a company that wants to sell more transmissions.

The metal of the transmission under the pan cover was not at all oxidized and still retained it's new luster. We are very blessed!

Thank again to Mark K. also!

Old 02-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

It doesn't come cheap. Just added up transmission related maintenance costs, which includes 9 fluid changes and 1 filter......$675.00!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:09 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is still several thousand less than a replacement tranny.

The first time I dropped the pan on mine it was not nearly as clean.

Great job on maint.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:53 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
People "bash" the 4R100. Well, they're idiots. Bottom Line: If you maintain them they last! With REGUALR maintenance they'll outlast the vehicle.

The reason we see failures is there were more than 5,000,000 E04D & 4R100 produced.

While they are "maintenance intensive" compared to todays transmissions they were light years ahead when produced. They were the first electronically input transmission for light duty trucks.

I liken vehicle maintenance to a sign I once saw in a Dentists Office 30 years ago: "Ignore your teeth and they'll go away" Same for our Truck Parts.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:09 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Regular maintenance is tied to the old saying " Pay me now or pay me later. Spending a little now can go a long way in preventing that big "gotcha" later. Parts can still fail, but at least you've done your part to prolong their demise due to "wear and tear".

Old 02-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by jhl3
That is still several thousand less than a replacement tranny.

The first time I dropped the pan on mine it was not nearly as clean.

Great job on maint.
Thank you! My older son helps me out a lot. It's nice to be able to show him that, like life, if you take care of stuff it pays off 'most of the time.' It nice when you see your hard work pay off ten fold!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Friction is the force that resists the sliding of two surfaces that are touching. Friction in a transmission transforms mechanical energy into thermal energy. Thermal energy is a waste energy. To reduce mechanical energy loss due to friction, we use a lubricant, ATF. The cleaner we keep the ATF, the less friction occurs, which transforms less mechanical energy into thermal energy, and greatly minimizes component wear.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:10 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Nice job! Do you tow much? Is your truck is stock? I think it's been clear the killer of these 4R100's is heavy towing and HP upgrades or the combo of both.

The occasional tow/DD mode with scheduled fluid changes like yours, I would expect to see what you found. Not trying to be an a$$, I'm just sayin

Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You guys scared me so much about my unknown tranny, I pulled the pan today. Nice and red and no debrit!

I guess the Ford dealer I got it from didnt lie when they said they flushed it.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:39 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by snknby123
Nice job! Do you tow much? Is your truck is stock? I think it's been clear the killer of these 4R100's is heavy towing and HP upgrades or the combo of both.

The occasional tow/DD mode with scheduled fluid changes like yours, I would expect to see what you found. Not trying to be an a$$, I'm just sayin
When you generate more mechanical energy, you will be transforming more thermal energy. Thermal energy is a killer to ATF's viscosity. As viscosity decreases, friction increases causing additional thermal energy which escalates component wear.

If you do extreme towing then the solution is to change the ATF every 20k and have it tested, then adjust to test results. But if your towing weight exceeds guidelines, you will experience premature self destruction due to run-away themal energy and extreme component wear.

Quick Reply: Finally Changed 4R100 Filter & Cleaned Pan