1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1979 Econoline Breakdown Problems..Heat A Possible Factor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 PM
colemarcus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 Econoline Breakdown Problems..Heat A Possible Factor?

I have a 79' Econoline camper van that I bought it in march last year so the weather was still somewhat chilly. During the summer in June driving up the mountains(I live in Colorado) the engine started to bog and died on the side of the highway. We then got it started an hour or so later spraying carb fluid in the carb. It started and ran another some what 150 miles to our destination and back home another 200 plus miles without an issue.
Later in the summer with the higher tempatures it again died on us in fort Collins coming from only 25 miles away...did the same thing with the carb this time it took a little more of the spray but got us to our destination a half a mile down. On the way back from Fort Collins(when temps were extremly high) we died on the highway 4-5 plus times with the same problem we would go the engine would bog, die then wed spray and make somewhat 5-10 miles let it cool down and repeat.
I had it looked at and the mechanic couldnt figure it out until finally driving it awhile and it happening to him. he replaced the ignition switch(something about not getting enough spark I don't know) and it started and got him home. thinking that was it I got it back and before I got home 1.5 miles away from the shop same thing happened. so we let it cool down and took it back and he dropped the gas tank looked through the fuel lines, fuel pump, replaced the fuel sock or something, the whole nine yards. I was told and asked my mechanic about vapor lockn and he said there wasn't an issue with fuel intake or recievel and then further inspection of the carb he found tefflon tape (Have no idea from what or where it was used) on the needle valve of the carb and removed it and tuned the carb.
By this time it was near the end of the summer when temps were lower so when I took it out to see if it will break down on me it did great with no problems going up a pretty decent mountain road and made it 30 miles to Denver with no problem. Again with cooler temps.

I guess my question would be is there any other thing besides a possible carb rebuild, that could possibly be giving me issues in dealing with the heat or just any possibilities at all that could be causing me to break down and hopefully I could prepare myself for a possible fixn.

I could also really use some suggestions on what to start replacing to start restoring a proper travel vehicle without having stressful pit stops is greatly appreciated. I'm not rich by any means and was actually crashing in it for a while so it needs some love and need some friendly advice thanks yall.

As you might be able to tell I am not at all good with auto mechanics...Thanks for any and all help, advice or answers.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, I read your story, and it got me thinking back to the early 80's vans I had, had one that did the same thing your writing about.........when it was very warm or hot out, it would just shut down, and you couldn't get it started for 20 or so minutes..........asking around, because Al Gore had Not invented the internet yet........there was a problem with the location of the coil, mounted just above the intake manifold, right next to the carb..........seams like the coil would become "heat-soaked" and shut down, or "turn off" and no spark, no run.

After sometime, or cooling off, it would start and run like there was never a problem until the next time the coil got heat soaked.

Solution was to move the coil from the top of the engine, and mount it on the bulk head, away from the engine, and from under the dog house, and this sure solved the problem.

Also would not be a bad idea to replace the coil with a new one, there not that expensive, relocate it, extend the primary wires if needed, and get it out of the engine bay it's self.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Clem's Cousin
Senior User
You may have a weak coil. They aren't that expensive and are fairly easily replaced. I would go ahead and replace it. I replaced mine plus the coil connector on my '79 E-150 just as preventative maintenance.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Just as an after thought I'd also carefully inspect or consider replacing the spark plug wires too. No mention how old the existing ones are but those have been known to cause a lot of performance problems.

Keep in mind I'm not suggesting this alone is the fix for OP's situation, just something to think about.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:14 AM
colemarcus
New User
Thanks for all the imput so far was not expecting responses so quickly

As far as the coil goes what coil am I looking at, or whats it called specifcly? Any other ideas and possabilties are still more then welcome as well..

Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We are talking about the Ignition Coil.

Your should look like this -

You did mention that your not real up on mechanic's.

So, maybe it would be better to mention this to the auto mechanic that you used before??

Oh, and yes, most of us reply quickly around here