Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Headlight Relay Build

Old 02-02-2015, 07:33 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014 View Post
Couple questions if you don't mind.

What circuit is fused with that JD relay? I hope it would be the common contact (30 on a Bosch relay). Neat part!

Also looks like the instructions suggest 30 and 86 are transposed. So this means the JD part is not standard Bosch relay wiring?

What did you use for a box and the terminal strip?
Yes you got it right, 30 and 86 are swapped around. The functions stay true to the number, they are just in a different place. Who knows why! The relays are made by Hella. I thought it was sombody else, but that must have been the one I used for mockup. The Hella part# is 4RA003530-00.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:36 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
O, you made 2 sets. for 2 trucks. I was really thrown there
Yes, the 2nd box is for my '90 F150.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
A couple of modifications. I found out that neither 10 amp nor 15 amp circuit breakers are enough to handle headlights. 20 amp ones work good. Nothing like flying down the road and having the lights go out! The good thing was my emergency option worked. Simply unplugged the relay harness from the original light plug and plugged the original plug back into the light bulb and went on home. Then later I did some testing to see what went wrong and found out the circuit breakers were too weak.

Also made a mounting bracket so it sets flat. A lot easier to access if necessary and looks better than just being stuck to the core support in a random way.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 PM
ponykilr
Elder User
ponykilr has a good reputation on FTE.ponykilr has a good reputation on FTE.
Good work EKM, I plan to do my own harness soon. The weather has been terrible here lately and I have projects stacking up LOL.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ponykilr View Post
Good work EKM, I plan to do my own harness soon. The weather has been terrible here lately and I have projects stacking up LOL.
Wintertime is my slow time. That's when I get to do my "truck projects". In between shoveling snow and helping the cows have calves, that is.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 PM
ponykilr
Elder User
ponykilr has a good reputation on FTE.ponykilr has a good reputation on FTE.
Winter time here usually does not hold the kind of cold and snow/ice we have seen this year (dang global warming). We usually have days in the 60s this time of year, we have been having 30s. We are just not used to it, and I for one can't make myself do projects that aren't pressing needs.

You live in some beautiful country brother.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM
rbtom
Senior User
rbtom is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is the final result with this, and why? (Just wondering )

Tom

Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
bashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to allbashby is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rbtom View Post
What is the final result with this, and why? (Just wondering )

Tom
The wiring to our headlights is not heavy enough. Adding relays reduces the voltage drop to the headlights making them brighter. It also reduces the load on the headlight switch that likes to melt at the connector. You can buy a kit to do this easier... Plug and play. LMC truck sells them but there may be a better place to get them.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:57 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bashby View Post
The wiring to our headlights is not heavy enough. Adding relays reduces the voltage drop to the headlights making them brighter. It also reduces the load on the headlight switch that likes to melt at the connector. You can buy a kit to do this easier... Plug and play. LMC truck sells them but there may be a better place to get them.
Couldn't have said it better myself! But LMC, meh. Some stuff is ok. And what's the fun in "easy"! I like building one-off stuff and if anybody learns from it and can make something different or better, I'm happy for them and will help in any way I can. I have learned a lot here and hope I can pay it forward.