1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53-55 top chop

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:05 PM
ike55
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53-55 top chop

I am considering chopping the top of my 55. Anyone care to chime in with helpful hints, warnings, etc... I am thinking about the kit from Mid Fifty. My concern is that it is a fiberglass top, but maybe it would not be an issue. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this kit as well as any other method. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Since everybody is lined up to comment, I thought I might as well break line and give my 2 cents. I have a chopped top 55 and it is a lot of work with lots of little details to consider and work out. If you are comfortable with fabrication and lots of welding and don't mind dealing with some bumps in the road........go for it.

I quartered the roof of my truck to line up the A and B posts. Rather than weld small strips into the roof to close up the gaps, I re skinned the center section using a skin from a donor car that had the shape that I wanted. I eliminated the drip rails..........purely because I like the look.

I will say that the windshield will give you the biggest headache. I worked around the original windshield on my chop and now find that my new windshield has a slightly different curvature than the original.
I'm still weighing my options on the fix. If the old windshield was in good condition, I would use it since it fits. So this is one of the bumps in the road.

I would suggest getting a new windshield and cut it to the size you want and chop the top to fit the windshield.

Gotta be willing to hang in there and not make it an unfinished project for sale a couple years down the road.

I've been playing with my truck for a long time and I've done something to just about every piece of it. I enjoy fabrication so it's been fun, but things don't always work out the first time.

I fully expected someone to"Pee in your Wheaties" about chopping the top. Hopefully I've given you some things to think about without trying to discourage.

My years of cutting, reshaping, welding and having fun.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:18 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Drew, in all of the pictures I've seen of your tailgate latches I only just noticed the tailgate is recessed into the bed. That's cool.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:11 PM
jgp1952
Senior User
Wow, Drewski, very nice!! You just gave me some inspiration for my build! I really like the exhaust exiting the running board and the custom rear.....

Old 01-23-2015, 12:22 PM
jgp1952
Senior User
Originally Posted by ike55
I am considering chopping the top of my 55. Anyone care to chime in with helpful hints, warnings, etc... I am thinking about the kit from Mid Fifty. My concern is that it is a fiberglass top, but maybe it would not be an issue. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this kit as well as any other method. Thanks!
Hi There, I also want to chop the top of my 52. The hardest part is calculating and making that first cut :-). I seen some chops on this site where a 2 inch chop didn't require to split the roof (you leave it as is). If you go anymore then you probably do need to splt, add a section, and weld back together.

BTW, I polled a few people on the form and the cost to have somebody else chop ranged from 2500-8000. I dont want to spend this much on the chop, so either I'm going to do myself or live with the stock cab....

I'm leaning towards doing it myself and taking my time...

Good luck,

Old 01-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jgp1952
Hi There, I also want to chop the top of my 52. The hardest part is calculating and making that first cut :-). I seen some chops on this site where a 2 inch chop didn't require to split the roof (you leave it as is). If you go anymore then you probably do need to splt, cut a section out, and weld back together.

BTW, I polled a few people on the form and the cost to have somebody else chop ranged from 2500-8000. I dont want to spend this much on the chop, so either I'm going to do myself or live with the stock cab....

I'm leaning towards doing it myself and taking my time...

Good luck,
Flat glass windshields make the chop go a lot easier. Create a pattern for your windshield and any glass shop can cut the safety glass to match your pattern.

As far as sectioning the roof, all the chops that I have been involved with that used a flat windshield, we leaned the posts to get everything lined back up. It really depends on the vehicle and the amount of the chop.

And even though some will say it can't be done, I've seen the A posts leaned for a curved windshield. Example...Bill Crowder's "Totally Awsome". I was there when this chop was done. And again, it depends on the vehicle and the amount of chop.

And even the B post can be leaned to keep from sectioning the roof.