1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Turn signals for 48F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:16 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomget
Out here on the west coast something like this is mostly called a camper shell. At least that's what I've observed. Maybe its a regional thing.
Interesting. Here, those are called truck caps.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Not to hijack the thread but I'll offer my understand on the subject of the "topper". Topper is all I ever heard a basic shell enclosure called. The term, camper, was usually reserved for a structure with sleeping bunks, something more than the basic shell.
Same here, when I was looking for one, I searched on "shell" and "topper" on CL.

Popular Mechanics and such magazines used to have "How-To's" for making those kinds of shells, some of which looked just like that. I think they even sold kits?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Same here, when I was looking for one, I searched on "shell" and "topper" on CL.

Popular Mechanics and such magazines used to have "How-To's" for making those kinds of shells, some of which looked just like that. I think they even sold kits?
It could very well have been a kit..IDK.

But its nice that the ribbing structure inside..(you can see the pics if you navigate from the truck pic i posted by clicking left or right on the arrows..I've got a lot of photos of the truck) to which the skin is attached, all look bent so nicely and such..not funky like my work.

And the little crank open windows and rear cab door all still work just fine and even the window screening material is still there and strong. Hard to believe stuff like this would hold up so long.

The truck hasn't received good care. It was stored outside in a rainy forest for decades before I bought it. Its got low mileage maybe about 75K but was used by a firewood seller in the forest for cutting/hauling wood and really took a beating!.

Its got easy retirement duty with me as I use it to haul my tools and materials to my part time building maintenance job which is only a couple miles from home.

Quite a testimony to the construction of the truck.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 PM
rswhitmore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to make sure those around you can see your intentions to turn or stop, you could also add LED tail & brake/signal lights in the bed rolls. The height of the bed rolls makes a very visible brake/signal light location.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Got the rear turn signals lights and the SignalStat 902 turn signal lever. Now just need to find the front lights and I'll be good to go. Won't take long..just been busy with "stuff"..

Old 01-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

I've got a bid on two vintage amber turn signals that mount to my front bumper. Will know in a couple days.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:57 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I am using the old style pedestal turn lights on my COE, they just look right to me.

I found some online at this place.....they seem to have every type truck light you can think of.....

Truck Stop Lights, Tail Lights, and Turn Lights,*Truck Lighting @ RyderFleetProducts

Old 01-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by tinman52
I am using the old style pedestal turn lights on my COE, they just look right to me.

I found some online at this place.....they seem to have every type truck light you can think of.....

Truck Stop Lights, Tail Lights, and Turn Lights,*Truck Lighting @ RyderFleetProducts
Thanks..I'll check it out.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:02 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
I've got a bid on two vintage amber turn signals that mount to my front bumper. Will know in a couple days.
If you really want to win a bid on Upay, you really should use a proxy bid software that places your bid within seconds of the auction close. I use Hammersnipe, and seldom lose an auction and don't get bid up on early bids.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:36 PM
Sportster.Mark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought these rear trailer tail lights. They look good for me. And the price was good..considering all.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...pst4q9abuc.png

Wasn't thinking of this style when I went shopping, but this will work for the rear with my large bumper. Think I've got the tools to cut an opening in it and flush or slightly recess mount both lights.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...psvepflfxx.jpg

Still looking for two lights for the front bumper and its not big enough..for my needs to allow cutting for bigger lights as I did in the rear..but will find something.

Just gonna have to keep shopping.
I have a pair of the lollipop lights that came on the front fenders of my F6 which I won't be using. PM me for more info.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

I've got the turn signal lights installed.

And I did find a nice pair of front amber Vintage Ford turn signals..the bottom of the FoMoCo box says C-2175. Don't know if that's a part number or what but its kinda cool to me that it appears they are actually Ford lights of some sort. I paid $35 for the pair including shipping which I'm happy with.

The front amber lights are a little closer together than I wanted, but if I chose to spread them apart further I'd have to hack up the existing riveted license plate support on the front bumper etc..and even though this is a modded truck I'm trying to leave all as is as best I can. So its gonna work good enough as is. I bolted the amber lights into the existing hole which mounts the bumper.

And the back red turn signals are recessed into the bumper, and for my use should be fairly well protected.

thanks for the help