Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wastegate on the 38r

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:39 PM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wastegate on the 38r

I didn't give it a thought..adjusting the waste gate on the 38r, so what is the general consensus on this subject…fellow 38r friends?

Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With stock injectors, you'll want to clamp it shut. As you add more fuel, you'll want to limit the drive pressure depending on valve spring seat pressure. With my 200/80 sticks, I have the waste gate clamped shut, but I'm running comp 916 springs shimmed at .030 to raise the seat presure. But to be honest, I haven't floored it in the hot tune yet. I need to add a second fuel pump to feed the sticks.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I don't know why you would need a second fuel pump if your stock set up is good. Robin had those sticks and dyno'd 486 HP with stock fuel pump and adrenaline HPOP. Not sure on his air filter but that was at the yearly event Clay puts on. DP tunes.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I tightened it down until it would just open, but not easily. I didn't feel comfortable with clamping a wastegate on a bigger turbo with tired springs.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I don't know why you would need a second fuel pump if your stock set up is good. Robin had those sticks and dyno'd 486 HP with stock fuel pump and adrenaline HPOP. Not sure on his air filter but that was at the yearly event Clay puts on. DP tunes.
That's the story of my life. I put together a fairly common/proven set of mods and end up full of regret.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by The Brad
That's the story of my life. I put together a fairly common/proven set of mods and end up full of regret.
Sorry to here that Brad. We do those things to feel good about are trucks we love to drive. Hope it all works out for you,
Chet

Old 01-20-2015, 08:48 PM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by Tugly
I tightened it down until it would just open, but not easily. I didn't feel comfortable with clamping a wastegate on a bigger turbo with tired springs.
Tugly, Is the procedure the same as the stock turbo waste gate or is there a new direction to follow…and refresh my memory on why I need to do this, if you would please…your BuckZooka blasts knowledge proves to be invaluable to a lot of us

Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, I would monitor drive pressure & boost together - great way to learn what's going on.

If adjusting on the truck, tie a piece of dental floss to the clip/lock ring so you don't loose it.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 AM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
First, I would monitor drive pressure & boost together - great way to learn what's going on.

If adjusting on the truck, tie a piece of dental floss to the clip/lock ring so you don't loose it.
Ha Ha good advice.. need a leash on that clip

Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by The Brad
I can share with moderate-sized sticks and fuel flow woes - I've had (and fixed) 'em all.

Originally Posted by brushfit
Tugly, Is the procedure the same as the stock turbo waste gate or is there a new direction to follow…and refresh my memory on why I need to do this, if you would please…
I followed the instructions right up to the point where they said how tight to make it. I exercised the wastegate while tightening, until it wouldn't open any more, then I backed it off to let it just open.

The stock setting on the 38R is an anemic 22 PSI and my stocker turbo could do 30 with the red line mod, so this was not an improvement. I still want the wastegate to work, because I feel my old valve springs need something to have their back.

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
...If adjusting on the truck, tie a piece of dental floss to the clip/lock ring so you don't loose it.
That makes too much sense. I went all high-tech and parked my aircraft-distracting magnet (Mythbusters type) on the turbo until the job was done. If I dropped the clip, it would have fallen horizontally to a predetermined location.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
With my Casserly Stage I 160cc injectors, this is what I did; it's just enough to crack open if it needs to.

I bought my 38R used and reasonably cheap after searching for awhile. As soon as I got it December 2012, I called Clay and he gave me the same advice Rich is offering. The wastegate comes ridiculously loose from the factory and unless you know it's to tighten it down, you won't see that much of a difference. The PO of the turbo didn't seem to realize that and I think that's why I got it reasonably cheap.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Kamstutz
Senior User
Friendly reminder about the 38R; if the 38R needs to be rebuilt, Garrett does not sell a rebuild kit for the 38R and to facilitate repair, one must return the turbo to Garrett for repair. The center cartridge repair costs almost the same as a new 38R. Why I have no idea.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Kamstutz
Friendly reminder about the 38R; if the 38R needs to be rebuilt, Garrett does not sell a rebuild kit for the 38R and to facilitate repair, one must return the turbo to Garrett for repair. The center cartridge repair costs almost the same as a new 38R. Why I have no idea.
Which is why some people opt to use a van turbo with the ATS housing. The van turbo is very rebuildable, it's just not a ball bearing turbo.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

I believe on the stock turbo we use to set the diaphragm at 12 psi when it starts to open. This let the turbo stay closed to 30psi. What that would be on a 38R not sure, I read on here once it was 50 psi but I think that is to high. What Rich has said makes since and I would probably start there. He dose have his set at 34 psi I think before it opens. If you set it by this method of psi at the diaphragm I for one would like to know what pis you used and what the wastegate opened at. This is a common question and would be nice to know. This can be done with a Mitty vac set on pressure I believe.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:41 PM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

I will get a chance to play with it this weekend, and report back..but I gotta say, I had to pass an egg timer just before a merge so I had a little time and gave it a 1/4 throttle and holy geez…i was really surprised, and looked over to my girlfriend, to check on her excitement too….I must had that look..she said, and she was quoting.."stand back girls, I saw him first"

Quick Reply: Wastegate on the 38r