6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012+ Upfitter Switches, and how to access them.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,631 Likes on 1,644 Posts
2012+ Upfitter Switches, and how to access them.

Ok, I have a new KR F-350 equipped with the factory installed upfitter switches.
I would like to know just how you expect some one that is not 16 any more nor have hands the size of a pre-schooler to be able to access and work in the location that you chose to put the wiring under the hood???? Yes, I have located them; no, I can not get my old and large hands in there to even begin connect a wire to one of these!!!!!! Maybe your design engineers should voluntarily call every new owner to see if they can come out to their place of residence and assist in making electrical connections for said new owner! Ok....... Done ranting, otherwise love the truck

Old 01-11-2015, 08:34 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
Ok, I have a new KR F-350 equipped with the factory installed upfitter switches.
I would like to know just how you expect some one that is not 16 any more nor have hands the size of a pre-schooler to be able to access and work in the location that you chose to put the wiring under the hood???? Yes, I have located them; no, I can not get my old and large hands in there to even begin connect a wire to one of these!!!!!! Maybe your design engineers should voluntarily call every new owner to see if they can come out to their place of residence and assist in making electrical connections for said new owner! Ok....... Done ranting, otherwise love the truck
some have removed the wheel well liner on the drivers front to get better access.. I know the feeling.. I have huge hands too.. started using T Taps to make it easier.. no stripping, clamp the connector onto the wire (T) and then slide the new wire side male connector into the T socket.

under the dash is the killer for me.. just can't see it AND work on it

Old 01-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
under the hood? my 2012 were under the dash.... but if I remember right the diagram had the color codes wrong... the colors for switch 1 was actually #4... couldn't figure out why the air compressor wouldn't turn on.. I started flipping all switches and discovered and double checked the diagram to confirm wiring issue....

Old 01-11-2015, 08:42 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Truckie256
under the hood? my 2012 were under the dash.... but if I remember right the diagram had the color codes wrong... the colors for switch 1 was actually #4... couldn't figure out why the air compressor wouldn't turn on.. I started flipping all switches and discovered and double checked the diagram to confirm wiring issue....
he meant the passthru wires that come out behind the fuse box.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by sdetweil
some have removed the wheel well liner on the drivers front to get better access.. I know the feeling.. I have huge hands too.. started using T Taps to make it easier.. no stripping, clamp the connector onto the wire (T) and then slide the new wire side male connector into the T socket.

under the dash is the killer for me.. just can't see it AND work on it
Only thing.....I dont like the t taps where there is ANY remote possibility of moisture/corrosion to take place! Personally, I prefer solder and heat shrink; but here, that seems to be out of the question!
Maybe some silicon filled butt connectors......
And dont want to try to use the under dash wires, beacuse I am trying to wire some strip LED's under the bed rails for some bed lighting when wanted! So then I would just have to run that thru the firewall someplace anyway.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Michael53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How disappointing- I recall how difficult these were to use on my 2012, I was hoping that Ford had "fixed" this on the '15s. Apparently not - so I have this to look forward to when wiring up my up fitter switches. Argh!

Last edited by Michael53; 01-11-2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 01-11-2015, 09:54 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Only thing.....I dont like the t taps where there is ANY remote possibility of moisture/corrosion to take place! Personally, I prefer solder and heat shrink; but here, that seems to be out of the question!
Maybe some silicon filled butt connectors......
And dont want to try to use the under dash wires, beacuse I am trying to wire some strip LED's under the bed rails for some bed lighting when wanted! So then I would just have to run that thru the firewall someplace anyway.

You will have to connect the pass thru wires to the upfitter switch wires under the dash.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:56 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru

FORD definitely could have made these wires more accessible. It is a PITA to say the least. Long handled pliers and quick connectors is the only way I have found to conquer this problem.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by gwcon
You will have to connect the pass thru wires to the upfitter switch wires under the dash.
So they also are not connected to the switches? WTF?anyone else remember the old commercial
"Ford has a better idea" ?????? LOLOLOLOL Haw Haw.....Not so much!

Last edited by Desert Don; 01-11-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
This is a duplicate.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
So they also are not connected to the switches? WTF?anyone else remember the old commercial
These connections are not as bad as the ones under the hood.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

No.. you don't HAVE to use the passthru wires.. they are provided as a convenience..(almost barely)

you could choose to create your OWN passthru wire, punch a hole thru one of the rubber grommets (under the carpet at the drivers foot, or in the back cab wall)..

I used the passthrus for my air compressor, aux fuel tank valve, and lately the light bar in the bumper... they were there, why not..

just to clarify,

the upfitter switches have wires that come out under the dash to the left of the steering column
the convenience firewall passthru wires come out in the same place under the dash, and behind the fuse box in the engine compartment.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
I'll be under the dash today hooking lights up.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:50 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
Originally Posted by gwcon
I also found that the upfitter switch wiring and the firewall pass through bundle are completely separate. When wiring my air compressor, I looked at the firewall pass through wire bundle and said to myself, "Self, fat chance!" I found an alternate route from the upfitter switch tails behind the fuse panel to the compressor. See page 114 of the owner's manual.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
No.. you don't HAVE to use the passthru wires.. they are provided as a convenience..(almost barely)

you could choose to create your OWN passthru wire, punch a hole thru one of the rubber grommets (under the carpet at the drivers foot, or in the back cab wall)..

I used the passthrus for my air compressor, aux fuel tank valve, and lately the light bar in the bumper... they were there, why not..

just to clarify,

the upfitter switches have wires that come out under the dash to the left of the steering column
the convenience firewall passthru wires come out in the same place under the dash, and behind the fuse box in the engine compartment.

I did the same thing as you and even ran the undercarriage mounted compressor intake filter up through the grommet so it would stay dry up under the dash...

Quick Reply: 2012+ Upfitter Switches, and how to access them.