6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Wobble wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 AM
caddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wobble wobble

My 09 250 has about 89k miles and just developed the "death wobble". I have 35" wheels, which from checking the forum seems to contribute to problem. What I have found on the forum as solution seems to be replacing steering stabilizer/dampers and new rubber.

What parts/brands have y'all used to solve issue? Suggestion welcomed. Also this morning truck developed a squeal. To me it sounds like a pulley or belt. Have not had time to pop hood, will check for source as soon as possible.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
I am starting to get the same thing. I was thinking of putting in Heim joints instead. Anyone gone this route? Much success? My brother in law put one in his 6.0 and it solved it for him.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by caddy
My 09 250 has about 89k miles and just developed the "death wobble". I have 35" wheels, which from checking the forum seems to contribute to problem. What I have found on the forum as solution seems to be replacing steering stabilizer/dampers and new rubber.

What parts/brands have y'all used to solve issue? Suggestion welcomed. Also this morning truck developed a squeal. To me it sounds like a pulley or belt. Have not had time to pop hood, will check for source as soon as possible.
I think a Steer stablizer will be a waste. As much as some think the stablizer will fix this issue, it simply won't stop the wobble if you have worn suspension parts

You need to inspect your suspension components starting with the track bar. Chances are either the ball joint is worn on the axle side or the rubber busing has failed on the frame side.

Next area to inspect would be the tie rods and upper and lower ball joints. Unfortunately these truck seem to only get 60K to 100K out of the ball joints. When you inspect be diligent, because even if a few component shows very little wear they play and movement compounds from all the components leading to a death wobble issue.

While Heims are not a bad upgrade and will tighten the steering up they tend to degrade faster then the OEM on these heavy trucks. For a street driven truck i wouldn't recommend them. Now a truck used primarily off-road where strength is warranted more then longevity would be a much better candidate for this upgrade. I would only suggest top quality FK heims if you go this directions, there are a lot of people selling cheap poor quality heims that are just plain dangerous.

The only high quality Heim setup or kit i have come across is from bulletproof steering. There could be more but this one is the only i have seen that had any kind of wow appeal.

Welcome to the Genuine Bullet Proof Steering System Solution!

Track Bar options non OEM

BD Diesel Performance CANADA Track Bar Kit - Ford 2005-2011 Super Duty 4wd F250/F350/F450/F550 - 2wd F450/F550

http://www.carlisuspension.com/ford-.../trackbar.html

Baja Customs Trac-Inator Ford SuperDuty F250/F350 Track Bar

2005-2015 Ford F-250/350 Direct Replacement Adjustable Trackbar

I personally run the PFM version of the above track bars. It dwarfs the factory bar, but this bar with the larger ballistic ball joint and 1" heim gives me a little bump steer. The reason being is i only lifted the truck 4.5" and with the new bar my draglink and track bars are no longer parallel causing the issue. If i had went 6" on the lift i don't think i would have that issue.

Hope this helps

Old 01-13-2015, 11:37 PM
caddy
Senior User
Suspension is going to have to wait. I popped the hood for noise to try and pinpoint. It seems that I have a belt tensioner going out.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Suspension is going to have to wait. I popped the hood for noise to try and pinpoint. It seems that I have a belt tensioner going out.
Yeah they don't last long either. My i suggest if the main tensioner is bad i would change the two idlers and the ac tensioner as well. There not bad to change, when i did mine i just went thru the passer side fender well and removed the alternator. All and all the whole thing took me about an hour and a half, i went ahead and changed the belts while i was in there

Old 01-14-2015, 01:57 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
Yeah they don't last long either. My i suggest if the main tensioner is bad i would change the two idlers and the ac tensioner as well. There not bad to change, when i did mine i just went thru the passer side fender well and removed the alternator. All and all the whole thing took me about an hour and a half, i went ahead and changed the belts while i was in there
^^^^ What he said....if ones gone the others probably aren't far behind. You can also pull the upper fan shroud out and it gives you plenty of access. That's how I did mine...

Old 03-24-2015, 06:30 PM
caddy
Senior User
Ended up changing track bar after replacing steering stabilizer. It's like sanddemon mentioned. The bushing on frame was worn. The wobble got very bad and I couldn't find this thread so I changed stabilizer first. When that didn't work, seemed to get worse, then I took my time until I found this thread again. Went down the list and noticed track bar bushing with play. Thanks for suggestion sanddemon.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:44 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Ended up changing track bar after replacing steering stabilizer. It's like sanddemon mentioned. The bushing on frame was worn. The wobble got very bad and I couldn't find this thread so I changed stabilizer first. When that didn't work, seemed to get worse, then I took my time until I found this thread again. Went down the list and noticed track bar bushing with play. Thanks for suggestion sanddemon.
Im just glad you got it fixed bud.