Brake Lines - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Brake Lines

Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Vadis
Senior User
Vadis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brake Lines

Getting ready to run completely new brake lines from front to back on my build and was looking into possible upgrades.
I've already grabbed some 9th Gen fuel and brake line frame clips that hold the brake lines out from the frame to prevent the lines from sitting in any built up dirt/snow/etc. but I still want to prevent the lines themselves from rusting away. On my current DD lines in high build up areas last at best a year

Stainless steel would be nice but from what I've read there's the possibility of leaks at the fittings since it's such a hard metal the flare doesn't seal properly.
So I went looking for something else and came across the Nickle-Copper alloy lines.
25' of 3/16 for $30 + stainless steel fittings for $30 on Amazon should do front to back with some extra for wiggle room.
Anyone has used the stuff?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
that is all i have used for the past 10 or so years.
i used to have to replace the steel lines on my 88 every other year.
the alloy lines on it now have been on the truck for close to 10 years now.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 AM
exranger06
Senior User
exranger06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I replaced just about every brake line on my Bronco with the nickel-copper alloy stuff. Not only will it never rust, but it's super easy to bend and flare. I won't use anything else.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Another vote for the copper/nickle alloy.

really nice to work with and they LAST

Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Vadis
Senior User
Glad to hear this stuff is worth it, thanks for the reply guys

Old 12-31-2014, 10:26 AM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.
I helped put stainless lines on my buddys crew cab f3...they were pricey (pre bent) but they went together fine. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but then again im not really paying attention to brake line complaints either.

cant beat the price of the nickel copper though, and it seems to last.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Vadis
Senior User
Pre bent lines would be nice but the cost of getting them up here would be pushing $250+.
Those lines are probably fine as far as no leaks go as the shop probably runs a wicked flaring tool as opposed to the average Joe's cheapy tool.

I just put my order in for the tubing. Having a hell of a time finding some stainless steel tube nuts though. I was looking at a couple kits from Jegs but it was damn near $100
Amazon and eBay is from Jegs so those won't help. Any suggestions for where else to get them or an alternative?

Old 12-31-2014, 05:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i use the standard replacements from NAPA.
i don't need any of that fancy stainless stuff.

as far as flaring tool goes, i use an inline flair tool.
CalVan Tools (CAL164) In-Line Flaring Tool Fractional - Automotive Brake Adjusting Tools - Amazon.com CalVan Tools (CAL164) In-Line Flaring Tool Fractional - Automotive Brake Adjusting Tools - Amazon.com
i actually threw the old style bubble flair tool away after using the inline only one time.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:45 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Screw Stainless line.
It sucks to work with.

Vote #4... or 5, for the copper nickel line.
It forms and takes flares easily.
It will outlast the rest of the truck.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 PM
joey2fords
Posting Guru
joey2fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joey2fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
... On my current DD lines in high build up areas last at best a year...
... i used to have to replace the steel lines on my 88 every other year...

you guys in the rust belt sure do face some challenges !

Old 01-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Vadis
Senior User
Yea, rust is brutal up here
Just curious but this kit that I link above, is that all the fittings I might need? I'm trying to find a cheaper source for them but with my truck being 25 miles away it's hard to get a total for all the fittings needed.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
I don't think you will need the 1/2 or 9/16

IIRC on 3/4 and 1 tons you need..
(2) 7/16
(8) 3/8

Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Vadis
Senior User
Thanks Brad, the one place I've found sells them in packs of 10 so a few extras wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
if i remember correctly, the master cylinder has 2 large weird size nuts.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
I've just reused those weird size fittings. Cut them off the old line and then slip them over the new before flaring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Lines

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.