Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Update on the CCV mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Update on the CCV mod

In the past I tried the CCV mod, about a year ago to be specific. In the previous try I simply let the heater hose run out the frame rail and dump under the transmission cross member. What I didn't like, was the visible crank crank gas coming out and the smell.

As a result I returned it to stock.

Fast forward a year with lots of reading on FTE about different options. I looked at the super nice model marketed by Racor, but not only was it over $200, it is also discontinued.

There are some other great models out there like the one by BD Diesel, which is actually using a filter pioneered by the European diesel crowd.

Thanks to FTE, I found the current one I'm using at Tractor Supply. It's a nice catch can with a screen. A trip to the plastic fitting department landed me the 90* elbows, 3' of 3/4" I.D. heater hose and a plan to build my own.

The images below show where the Dog House has been turned to the rear, the hose is routed up to the canister that is attached just above the break booster.

I've used the factor 90* elbow to complete the path. Now oil vapors pass through the canister and back to the intake as designed. I get no smell, and hopefully little to no mess. A couple of pics are below.

If I can answer any questions, please let me know. The canister is mounted higher to hopefully cause oil to drain south, while keeping any pressure build up to a minimum.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:38 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
now take a sawall and cut that scoop thing out.. did that to mine. just put a rag downstream to catch the stuff that flies off.. that thing(scoop) is a big airstream disrupter for sure.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM
rcgtsport
Junior User
nice job !! i been wanting to do ccv mod but didnt want the smell or oil dripping on driveway. do you have links or part # . just got a tractor supply in town this year.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:11 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Go back to where the parts for the chemical sprayers are. That's a filter set up for a pesticide sprayer. They have plastic fittings that screw into the sides with a hose barb on them in the same area. It comes with a fine mesh cylinder shaped screen on the inside.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
I'll get the part numbers and post them here. I have about $50 in everything.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Thats a good find and a good idea !
Im anxious to see how it works. How much of that oily residue will be kept out of the intake system with the filter.

I too have a love hate relationship with my ccv mod. Hate the smell and the smoke along with people asking if my trucks on fire LOL ! But i love clean IC Boots and tubes.

If the thing filters out the oily residue good enough i will for sure be doing this also !!!!

THanks for the innovative R&D on updating the CCV MOD !!!

Old 12-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Cracker 73
Senior User
If you all hate the smell and people asking drill a hole that goes with your exh pipe near the back put a pipe in at a angle weld it up an leave 4 inches out hook the crank vent hose to it now it is in the wind away from the truck. You can do it anywhere in system just angle it back. I have done this for many people who did not like hearing is it burnin or with sensitive noses it's cheap to do..mine hangs down at back of rear end never pay it any attention does smoke more on b 100

Last edited by Cracker 73; 12-02-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: No proofing
Old 12-02-2014, 06:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Cracker 73
If you all hate the smell and people asking drill a hole that goes with your exh pipe near the back put a pipe in at a angle weld it up an leave 4 inches out hook the crank vent hose to it now it is in the wind away from the truck. You can do it anywhere in system just angle it back. I have done this for many people who did not like hearing is it burnin or with sensitive noses it's cheap to do..mine hangs down at back of rear end never pay it any attention does smoke more on b 100
There was discussion on this years ago. Seems like Eugene put a water gauge on this type of set up and determined even with the angled bung welded on, it caused back pressure if you hooked the CCV to the exhaust.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I used to use this can and found that it did not do a very good job at catching oil residue. I still ended up with a lot of oil in the intake. Granted, I did not add any additional filtering media besides the wire mesh screen. Adding something else to help catch the oil may actually make this can work well.

I ended up just purchasing the Mann-Hummel Provent 200 (same can used in the BD kit). It has worked flawlessly so far. I have about $150 into the entire setup. Here is a pic...

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
F 350 I have never tried to check it it could surely be possible. In my simple mind it is no diff then air suction sprayer or the Venturi effect of higher speed passing an open hole at lower psi and pulling it in and on down the line. Hope I have not put up something wrong

Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Justin, that Mann-Hummel Provent unit is the one heavily used by the VW tdi crowd across the pond. Did you find a good American supplier, everything I found when looking for that unit was from overseas with high shiping.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:48 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts
I may be wrong but I think you have your plastic tube in the intake track mounted backwards. If I remember right the opening where the fumes exit is supposed to face towards the turbo. The way yours is mounted it would never draw the vapors into the engine, instead the air charge coming down the tube would force everything back into the valve cover. Like I said I am probably full of crap but double check before you run it.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
I may be wrong but I think you have your plastic tube in the intake track mounted backwards. If I remember right the opening where the fumes exit is supposed to face towards the turbo. The way yours is mounted it would never draw the vapors into the engine, instead the air charge coming down the tube would force everything back into the valve cover. Like I said I am probably full of crap but double check before you run it.
The picture shows the correct orientation of the tube. It is supposed to be mounted that way.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
Justin, that Mann-Hummel Provent unit is the one heavily used by the VW tdi crowd across the pond. Did you find a good American supplier, everything I found when looking for that unit was from overseas with high shiping.
Yes I did. PM me and I will let you know where I found it. Don't want to post it publicly since they are not a sponsoring vendor.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Cracker 73
F 350 I have never tried to check it it could surely be possible. In my simple mind it is no diff then air suction sprayer or the Venturi effect of higher speed passing an open hole at lower psi and pulling it in and on down the line. Hope I have not put up something wrong
You don't know Gene. A retired engineer that was all about details and calculations. Not all of them translated from paper to the real world.

His test most definitely showed an increase in back pressure, but there have been many who have done what you're talking about with no ill effects that they ever bothered to report.

I don't think lots of people had failures doing this and then just kept it a big secret among themselves, so I'm not saying you're wrong. I was just trying to share the other side of the story so folks can make an informed decision.

For the record, I like Gene, but he actually accused Blacksone labs of falsifying my oil analysis reports because they were too consistent and my wear pattern didn't match with his calculations. I had an analysis done at another lab to provide him another point of view and I think that was the first time I saw him confused.

Sometimes there's just a difference in what the calculations say vs. what actually happens in the real world. This venturi effect on the CCV may be one of them.

Quick Reply: Update on the CCV mod