1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

70 amp Circuit Breaker

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 AM
johnmel59
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
70 amp Circuit Breaker

OK, so I have the 70 amp circuit breaker pictured below. Can someone give me some advise on the best way to mount this breaker on the inner fender? Also, confirm where in the wiring system does this breaker go.

Looking at the wiring diagram it appears the 8 gauge wire runs from the solenoid to the breaker from the breaker to the alt gauge and them back to the junction post with the yellow/black alt wires. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance! John

Old 12-02-2014, 05:25 PM
johnmel59
Senior User
Still looking for some help on this.
Thanks, John

Originally Posted by johnmel59
OK, so I have the 70 amp circuit breaker pictured below. Can someone give me some advise on the best way to mount this breaker on the inner fender? Also, confirm where in the wiring system does this breaker go.

Looking at the wiring diagram it appears the 8 gauge wire runs from the solenoid to the breaker from the breaker to the alt gauge and them back to the junction post with the yellow/black alt wires. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance! John

Old 12-02-2014, 05:35 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I would post this in the elect forum and ask franklin for help

Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 PM
johnmel59
Senior User
thanks, I'll give it a try....

Originally Posted by schoo
I would post this in the elect forum and ask franklin for help

Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
I think you have it correct on the wiring. There was a recent post that I can't find now about wiring an AMP gauge this circuit breaker. Seems some had it and some didn't. My 66 didn't so I can't tell you the exact location for mounting.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:56 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
No idea what it might have been used for. They aren't talked about on here that I recall.

Hey John Maybe you can place it on a shelf about head high, so you can keep an eye on it.

John

Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
In your recent thread 'alternator gauge wiring' member posted a pic of the fuse mounted on the inner fender.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM
johnmel59
Senior User
Yes, but its an aftermarket breaker and mounts differently than the factory breaker. This is what the back of mine looks like.

Originally Posted by daveengelson
In your recent thread 'alternator gauge wiring' member posted a pic of the fuse mounted on the inner fender.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ring-help.html

The fuse, or junction block, is installed in the circuit for the 'alt' gauge.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Yes, but its an aftermarket breaker and mounts differently than the factory breaker. This is what the back of mine looks like.
****I would think the 2 outside openings would be used to secure the fuse block to the inner fender, and the 2 inside openings would be for running the fuse block in series with the circuit; wire going in and a wire going out. From pic difficult for me to determine how the wires would attach to the fuse block. If threaded I think the kit would include studs, nuts and washers?? Posting couple pic's which probly are of little help. The red and white wire in the harness are not to be confused with the alternator circuit, they are for the electronic ign. I ran my alt circuit little different than what the wiring manual diag. shows.

]

Old 12-03-2014, 05:17 PM
johnmel59
Senior User
Thanks, here is a picture of what I currently have and the proposed wiring changes--essentially moving the end of the 8 ga wire from the junction post to one side of the circuit breaker and install a 8 ga jumper from the circuit breaker to the junction post. I WELCOME ANY feedback.
Thanks, John

Old 12-03-2014, 11:54 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
If understand correctly, replacing the current junction block, which would probably been okay, for a 70 amp fused block. Appears you are running the circuit similar to how I ran the 'alt' circuit. Posting pic of drawing another FTE member emailed. except the pic shows a junction block whereas I used a fused block??

Old 12-04-2014, 06:24 AM
johnmel59
Senior User
Thanks, that is the wiring diagram I used fro wiring the ALT gauge. I don't plan to replace the junction block but install a circuit breaker in the wiring in effort to avoid a major issue if something unseen were to occur in the future.

Originally Posted by daveengelson
If understand correctly, replacing the current junction block, which would probably been okay, for a 70 amp fused block. Appears you are running the circuit similar to how I ran the 'alt' circuit. Posting pic of drawing another FTE member emailed. except the pic shows a junction block whereas I used a fused block??

Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Thanks, that is the wiring diagram I used fro wiring the ALT gauge. I don't plan to replace the junction block but install a circuit breaker in the wiring in effort to avoid a major issue if something unseen were to occur in the future.
Not that knowledgeable with automotive electrical circuits, just not sure how a junction block, and fuse block, that appear to be running in parallel, would work; seems only need one or the other, to my knowledge only used for the 'alt' circuit. I was not familiar w/ the alt circuit and felt comfortable with a fused as opposed to function. Imagine as long as your circuitry works and does not place the other circuits at risk then may not present a problem?? Perhaps other members will chime in??

Old 12-04-2014, 12:54 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello, again, Johnmel59. I hope I can help again.

.....confirm where in the wiring system does this breaker go.

Yes, this is the best way to install it.
Generally when working with circuit breakers, you want a breaker to be nearest the source of the electricity. Ergo, breakers in a house are right after the incoming wires. This will not only protect the device, but all the wiring between the breaker and the device.

Therefore, your breaker should be installed in series just after the battery source. So, this is how I would wire it:

1. Remove the 8 gauge wire that goes to the ammeter from the solenoid (the side with the battery cable).
2. Install this wire on one side of the breaker.
3. Install your short "jumper" onto the battery side of the solenoid, where the ammeter wire used to be attached.
4. Install the other end of the "jumper" onto the other side of the breaker.

That should do it. Wired this way (for example), should the wire between the breaker and the ammeter develop a direct short to ground by rubbing on a sharp metal edge, the breaker will pop and protect it from catching fire. Not only will it protect that one wire, but this setup will further protect the under-dash wiring from possible fire damage as well.

Hope this helps as well!

John (the other John)

Old 12-04-2014, 05:31 PM
johnmel59
Senior User
Thanks John,
just what I needed! At this point I plant to just install the breaker using the brackets you see in the photo, unless someone provides a different mounting option. I'll also cover the screw connections on the rear of the breaker with some electrical tape since they will be close to the inner fender

Originally Posted by banjopicker66
Hello, again, Johnmel59. I hope I can help again.

Yes, this is the best way to install it.
Generally when working with circuit breakers, you want a breaker to be nearest the source of the electricity. Ergo, breakers in a house are right after the incoming wires. This will not only protect the device, but all the wiring between the breaker and the device.

Therefore, your breaker should be installed in series just after the battery source. So, this is how I would wire it:

1. Remove the 8 gauge wire that goes to the ammeter from the solenoid (the side with the battery cable).
2. Install this wire on one side of the breaker.
3. Install your short "jumper" onto the battery side of the solenoid, where the ammeter wire used to be attached.
4. Install the other end of the "jumper" onto the other side of the breaker.

That should do it. Wired this way (for example), should the wire between the breaker and the ammeter develop a direct short to ground by rubbing on a sharp metal edge, the breaker will pop and protect it from catching fire. Not only will it protect that one wire, but this setup will further protect the under-dash wiring from possible fire damage as well.

Hope this helps as well!

John (the other John)

Quick Reply: 70 amp Circuit Breaker