Sponsored by: Moser

2012 Ecoboost TSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 PM
AKHSKRFN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Ecoboost TSB

I purchased my 2012 EB used with 35k miles on it. at about 42k I had the condensation issue happen when passing several RV's in a mountain pass. I took the truck to the dealer I purchased it from and they did the TSB13-8-1 Fix to it. I noticed right away that I had lost some power (I was very saddened). I also have Noticed that I lost about 2.5-3 MPG. Since the work was done I still have a shudder that feels a lot like the transmission is slipping when I mash the go peddle. this does not happen every time but I would say it does happen better then 50% of the time at highway speeds trying to pass slower rigs or getting up to speed to enter the highway.
My question is has ford updated the TSB's for the 2012 EB F150's lately?

I love this Truck, it is the only vehicle (besides my motorcycle) I have owned to date that I was not tired of after about 6 month's. I hope when I take the truck back to the shop next week that there is a fix that works that I get my MPG's and power back and that lets me drive it the way it should be driven.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:09 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I had that happen to me once. Weird thing my dash displayed advance track failure at the same time. I drove about 60ish miles (seemed like eternity) to find a town. I could barely generate enough power to make it up some hills. I was running on fumes so I thought maybe it was do due low fuel. After filling up I never had the problem again everything was good except the check engine light stayed on. Once I reached my destination in NW Montana I stopped at a Ford dealer to have the truck checked out. They told me it looked like I had water in my gas, I wonder if it was really this issue. Anyway over 30,000 miles later it never happened again.
I was loaded heavy on that trip. Had my daughter's car in the car hauler and every inch of space, in her car, the trailer & my truck were packed with something.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:46 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AKHSKRFN
...My question is has ford updated the TSB's for the 2012 EB F150's lately?...
Hi AKHSKRFN,

Your dealership will be the best resource for the most up-to-date information about TSBs. I recommend speaking with your service manager about this the next time you're in for a maintenance visit; they'll be able to run your VIN in our system to see if any service actions apply.

Crystal

Old 11-10-2014, 04:08 PM
AKHSKRFN
New User
It is scheduled to go in for service in a week. they are going to fix my rear door lock issue (doors don't unlock most of the time), as well as the drive shaft slips and thumps at take off and stop. they are also going to see what is causing the slipping in the transmission (if that's where the problem is)when I punch it.
My concern it that the check engine lite hasn't come so they wont be able find the problem.
I did tell them that the last fix robbed some of my MPG as well as a noticeable amount of power, they however did not add that note on the service ticket so im not sure they will look into that part. I will mention it again when the truck gets dropped off Monday.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:31 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
I have the 2 piece drive shaft and experienced the slip bump problem. There was a TSB for that problem. I will try to look it up when I get home to see what the number was. I probably have 7,000 miles since the service and all is good. Hopefully yours is that easy.

The slip bump is a common problem on 4x4 vehicles, it happens across all brands. A friend of mine's Tundra had the same issue. Interesting enough his Toyota dealer goes to the the Ford dealer to get the grease to fix the issue.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
... I will mention it again when the truck gets dropped off Monday.
Good idea, AKHSKRFN. Let me know how things go on Monday. If you need my help after your visit, I'll be here.

Crystal

Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 PM
AKHSKRFN
New User
The truck went to the shop today. They were able to recreate the issue I am having with what feels like the transmission slipping. The rep said they are going to have a separate tech look at the truck to find what the problem is and what the fix may be. I have never had this particular dealer keep one of my vehicles overnight before, makes me kinda think the issue is bigger then i thought it may be.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:17 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Keep us posted. I'd like to hear what they think the issue is.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:23 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
The truck went to the shop today. They were able to recreate the issue I am having with what feels like the transmission slipping. The rep said they are going to have a separate tech look at the truck to find what the problem is and what the fix may be...
It sounds like your dealership is hard at work on this, AKHSKRFN. If you'd like, I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll move this up the line.

Crystal

Old 11-18-2014, 03:21 PM
AKHSKRFN
New User
Dealer just got back to me. It seems that some of the spark plugs are bad and the coils are in bad shape. they are going to replace them, however it is not covered under warranty so they wanted to charge me $350 to do the work. I told them that that is a little ridiculous because they sold me the truck that way, I explained that I already had it in for a service. on that service they did One of the TSB's for the inter-cooler and that I was assured that the problem was fixed. the rep said that he would call me back after talking to his boss. When he got back to me they dropped the price. It is still expensive but a lot more affordable then the original price given.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dealer just got back to me. It seems that some of the spark plugs are bad and the coils are in bad shape...
Thanks for the update, AKHSKRFN! I sent you a PM with your case information; let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Crystal

Old 11-19-2014, 04:52 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Dealer just got back to me. It seems that some of the spark plugs are bad and the coils are in bad shape. they are going to replace them, however it is not covered under warranty so they wanted to charge me $350 to do the work. I told them that that is a little ridiculous because they sold me the truck that way, I explained that I already had it in for a service. on that service they did One of the TSB's for the inter-cooler and that I was assured that the problem was fixed. the rep said that he would call me back after talking to his boss. When he got back to me they dropped the price. It is still expensive but a lot more affordable then the original price given.
Please keep us in the loop as to how well Ford and your dealer really took care of your needs and if this issue turns into yet another issue that should have been diagnosed.

It sure sounds to me like your COP's and plugs were the culprit the whole time and they performed the TSB needlessly. Maybe I'm reading this all wrong.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:08 AM
AKHSKRFN
New User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Please keep us in the loop as to how well Ford and your dealer really took care of your needs and if this issue turns into yet another issue that should have been diagnosed.

It sure sounds to me like your COP's and plugs were the culprit the whole time and they performed the TSB needlessly. Maybe I'm reading this all wrong.
In my opinion it was both, the condensation in the inter-cooler created 1 problem. The coils/plugs created another, both having similar symptoms. I think they did the TSB and stopped looking further thinking they fixed the issue.
After some research it seems that both are somewhat common problems.
I am frustrated because I told them about the problem the first time, They didnt follow thru and now I have to pay the price to get it fixed.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Thanks for the update, AKHSKRFN! I sent you a PM with your case information; let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Crystal
In my opinion it was both, the condensation in the inter-cooler created 1 problem. The coils/plugs created another, both having similar symptoms. I think they did the TSB and stopped looking further thinking they fixed the issue.
After some research it seems that both are somewhat common problems.
I am frustrated because I told them about the problem the first time, They didnt follow thru and now I have to pay the price to get it fixed.
Hopefully our most helpful Ford rep Crystal can get you some significant relief.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM
AKHSKRFN
New User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Hopefully our most helpful Ford rep Crystal can get you some significant relief.
Crystal has helped by getting my info to the regional customer service manager. Thank you Crystal.
The regional Manager called yesterday however I missed the call and have left a couple of messages for him to call back. Now the waiting game for the truck to be finished (Hopefully today).

Quick Reply: 2012 Ecoboost TSB