6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Electric Fan? For 04' 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 10:28 AM
calvinbabb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Fan? For 04' 6.0

can a electric fan be hooked up to the fan clutch wiring? am looking at going to a electric fan so it will clear out the front of the motor some and the fact that a new fan clutch cost $300+ to replace it would eliminate having to change that out in the future. was going to change the fan belt and when i looked at having to clear the front of the motor just to get the old belt off the electric fan popped into my head. not sure if it's a good thought or not. any comments or suggestions on this?

Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 AM
calvinbabb
Senior User
ok, disregard this post. after doing some more searching found the the sensuous is to keep the OEM fan. so i guess i should have searched more before asking question.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually that belt can be removed without takeing off anything. I know it does'nt look like it but it will come off.
Also no electric fan I know of can match the vloume of air flow of that clutch fan.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:18 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by calvinbabb
can a electric fan be hooked up to the fan clutch wiring? am looking at going to a electric fan so it will clear out the front of the motor some and the fact that a new fan clutch cost $300+ to replace it would eliminate having to change that out in the future. was going to change the fan belt and when i looked at having to clear the front of the motor just to get the old belt off the electric fan popped into my head. not sure if it's a good thought or not. any comments or suggestions on this?
For what its worth the only item I removed to change the drive belt was the air deflector on the top of the fan shroud. Mine is an 06' but I don't see why any other 6.0L would be different.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_309
For what its worth the only item I removed to change the drive belt was the air deflector on the top of the fan shroud. Mine is an 06' but I don't see why any other 6.0L would be different.
Ditto ^^^ What he said. It really does not take that long.
It does help to see what you should be looking at. (WHAT?)
Here is a photo of the belt routing.

I think Rusty posted this first.

Sean

Old 11-08-2014, 03:18 PM
calvinbabb
Senior User
wasn't sure of how yet. had to take belt loose when i did the oil cooler but was able to release it and put it back on by pulling the belt and sliding it off the pulley.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 PM
FordFamily6
Junior User
Originally Posted by calvinbabb
wasn't sure of how yet. had to take belt loose when i did the oil cooler but was able to release it and put it back on by pulling the belt and sliding it off the pulley.
The belt tensioner has a tab that will lock in place and the belt can easily be removed, dieseltechRon (?) has a video on utube thats extremely helpful. You can vaguely see the tab on picture in above post, bottom side where the notch is.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:48 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Electric fans are not very practical in this application. You will likely need a huge motor that will heavily draw on the alternator/batteries - that fan is probably in the neighborhood of 10-20 horsepower.

Typically when you see electric fan vehicles, it's for applications where they don't need to run while the vehicle is moving. The 6.0's fan will kick on when you work it (towing a hill) because the ram-air through the radiator just isn't enough.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by FordFamily6
The belt tensioner has a tab that will lock in place and the belt can easily be removed, dieseltechRon (?) has a video on utube thats extremely helpful. You can vaguely see the tab on picture in above post, bottom side where the notch is.

Little bit of an update to the image.

Sean

Old 11-10-2014, 02:30 AM
calvinbabb
Senior User
that makes it a little easier.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen electric fans on Excursion limo's but it was to help the air condition

Old 11-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
It's possible they could keep things cooler at idle or low load if you did a really good set-up but honestly, look at this thing, its gianormous! And lots of pitch on the blades with ability to turn more RPM's than the engine is running and controlled by the PCM to boot! I know the clutch is expensive but it's one of the good things about the truck in my opinion.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Per4mance
I've seen electric fans on Excursion limo's but it was to help the air condition
At some point in the past there was some discussion about just that subject
in a thread. The PCM seems to ignore the passenger comfort when it comes to the A/C and enough cooling fan.

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
It's possible they could keep things cooler at idle or low load if you did a really good set-up but honestly, look at this thing, its gianormous! And lots of pitch on the blades with ability to turn more RPM's than the engine is running and controlled by the PCM to boot! I know the clutch is expensive but it's one of the good things about the truck in my opinion.

Rusty I was thinking VTOL the first time I got a good look at it.
It could also take the place of a hovercraft fan.

Sean

Old 11-11-2014, 04:54 AM
calvinbabb
Senior User

yes it is gianormous. that's one of the reasons i was thinking of the switch out. but the pro's don't outweigh the cons so I just deal with it when i have to work on the front of the motor. now sure how long the water pumps last but mine has 183xxx miles and not sure if it has been changed. this is part of what brought my attention to the fan. getting in to change the pump, belt, ect.. just 4 bolts they say. but getting to it is a problem with the fan and then they recommend changing the fan clutch when you do the water pump so all this got into my head. Swap it out. no not after reading the post and thinking about it a little better. I'm one of those that reacts fast but after listening to advice and thinking about things, wish i had asked first. on this site I'm trying to ask first and then come to a informed decision.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor

That looks familiar. Lol. Is that ole grey???

Btw,, the PCM does control the fan on when the ac is commanded on.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan? For 04' 6.0