Newb with stock CD player question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:45 AM
fatnbald1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone...my stock unit in my Ranger XLT 4X4 doesn't seem to want to read CD-R's. Actually, it will read some, but not others. For example, on a recent CD I burned, it only read about 12 of the 17 songs on it. Can I do something about this other than purchasing a new head unit? I've done some searches and didn't find anything. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2003, 05:31 AM
droptop
Senior User

I have no problems playing CD's that I've burned in either of my Fords. Are you having the same problems playing those CD's on your home stereo system? What type of CD's are you using? Are you putting labels on the CD's after you burn them? What type of software are you using? Are you trying to convert MP3's to standard CD format when you burn the CD, or are you just "copying" a music CD? Could be a lot of things going wrong. If you can give some specific info, it would help.

Old 07-17-2003, 02:48 PM
fatnbald1
New User

Originally posted by droptop
I have no problems playing CD's that I've burned in either of my Fords. Are you having the same problems playing those CD's on your home stereo system? What type of CD's are you using? Are you putting labels on the CD's after you burn them? What type of software are you using? Are you trying to convert MP3's to standard CD format when you burn the CD, or are you just "copying" a music CD? Could be a lot of things going wrong. If you can give some specific info, it would help.
Thanks for the response. No problems with playing them on home players. I am using FujiFilm CD-R 80 min 700 mb CD's with a blueish color bottom. No labels...just a Sharpie pen. The software I use is HP Recordnow which is "powered by Veritas". I am converting MP3's to standard format. Not sure what else I can include, but if I've missed anything, I'll do my best to answer anymore questions. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Old 07-17-2003, 05:28 PM
droptop
Senior User

I have a couple of ideas, so here goes. You are using FujiFilm CD-R 80 min 700 mb CD's. Are they "data" CD's or specifically labeled Music? The reason I ask is that I'm using Maxell Music CD's for music and the Maxell Data CD's for file/ hard drive backup. The Maxell Music CD's are more expensive than the data CD's. You may want to take a music CD and just do a straight copy CD with the Fuji CD's that you have. Then take the copy and see if it will play in your vehicle. If they do, then the problem lays with the MP3 conversion to CD audio. If they still miss tracks, try the Maxell Music CD's. My software is Roxio- it isn't the greatest, but it works for me. I've heard that Nero puts out good software too.

I assume that you have a HP computer (because of HP Record Now -powered by Veritas). What operating system, processor speed and how much memory do you have?

Sorry this is so long, but there are a lot of variables to consider.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:06 PM
fatnbald1
New User

Thank you very much for your ideas. I haven't had a chance to experiment yet...but I'm almost out of CD's, so I'll get to it soon! I use an HP laptop with XP, 2.0 Pent 4, and 512 mb memory. (I love the thing!!!) It's only about a year old, but it just went in for repair for a few minor things...so I won't have it for about 3 weeks.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:26 PM
tripndrag
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The blank cdr's you can buy that have the Music label on them and cost way more are for the Philips and other brand home recorders. They will work in a computer also. There is nothing special about them that makes them better for music. The difference is they are the only type of cd that will work in the home type cd burners like the philips. It is a great idea for them because you have to pay a bunch of money to burn cd's on there systems because a regular cdr will not work in them. Try leaving the cd about 1/4 empty. I put about 10-12 normal songs on. When I put 12-17 songs and really try to pack every inch of the cd I sometimes have troubles with cd players reading the cd. Just my .02 cents.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:34 PM
serving_time
Senior User

Just a thought. I don't anything about your software, but i am using Nero and it works great. Just make sure that you are finalizing your CD's when you are done burning them. If you don't finalize the disk, they will still play on your computer and some aftermarket players, but not home CD players, or older car CD players. To finalize the disk should be an option before you start to burn.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:37 PM
smokey6309028
Senior User

I've also heard that the Maxxell media works much better on players than most others. Sometimes thats all you need. But definately make sure you finalize the CD when your done burning!

Old 07-31-2003, 07:53 PM
fatnbald1
New User

Thanks for all the advice. Though I've burned MANY CD's before and haven't had any problems playing them on my home stereo, the CD I was having problems with in the truck ALSO had problems being read on the home stereo. So, I'd assume there is something about the CD, or the software I use. I don't know for sure, because as I mentioned before, my laptop is in for repair for a few more weeks so I can't start testing yet. When I get a chance, I'll change the brand of CD I use and try again. If I'm successful, I'll post an update...thanks again.