Sponsored by: DP Tuner

injectors again

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:32 PM
abowman
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
injectors again

so i had a post a while ago, i had some stage ones in my old truck with a edge juice with attitude (not the best chip i know) 4" banks exhaust, k&n intake regulated fuel return, hpop cross over lines and terminator t500 hpop on 37's and a built auto. it was ok on power i could burn the 37's at 60 when it was wet but i want more. i sold it and bought a 4 door because i just had twins and needed a 4 door instead of a supercab. my new truck was completely stock with a 6 speed. its in need of new injectors very badly (poppet valves are worn) i shimmed the two worst ones to help with cold starts. i plan on doing everything i had on my old truck but with a dp tuner, or ts chip and bigger injectors with a better turbo.

i need advice i was thinking on some 238cc/100% rosewood injectors and a d66 turbo would like to get some were around 400-500 hp. my new truck has a new hpop from the previouse owner. dont know from who but im hoping it will be ok for a while. i straight piped the stock exhaust for now and did the napa air filter.

i will be doing a clutch as well when the injectors go in. my question is dependent on what rod i have in the bottom end are the 238's to big i know you can turn them down with tuning but i dont want to buy another set of injectors because i didnt go big enough the first time.

also will that d66 handle the injectors ok iv heard of people running that turbo with 200s but not 238s, im looking to get 80%-100% nozzels to keep egt's cooler and fuel cooler. i have heard some bad things about 100% over 80% because of the process they use to get the bigger holes, anybody have any experience with rosewoods 100% injectors?

also with a setup like i described iv heard of dp tunes being a little aggressive and popping stock hg any input on this as well would be great.

im not a rich person and i flip cars to support my toy habits. so i want to buy everything once.

the most i tow is 20k truck included, 12' camper and 20' flatbed with a rock crawler.

thank you all for you input, i have learned allot from you guys in the past and have helped me allot and really appreciate your time and help.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:42 PM
abowman
Tuned
also thought about getting injectors from riff raff, being as they are local.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:46 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I'm going to try to offer some sound advice here. Please don't take this as demeaning or belittling.......

Don't turn a vehicle that you may ultimately have to rely on into something that is a finicky, moody, and potentially unreliable headache. Buy a different vehicle to modify; something that isn't going to put you out of commission when it breaks. Besides, law enforcement looks down on people doing burnouts when there are young children in the back seat anyway.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 PM
abowman
Tuned
No worries. I do not drive like a jack *** with my kids in the truck or around anyone elce. I do drive like a jack *** in my rock Crawler in designated area. But i do want the truck to be reliable and not finicky. Does anyone have suggestions i would like more power though than my old truck. 800 ft lbs of torque would be ok more the better. But reliable power would be nice

Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
All that mumbo jumbo about nozzle sizes and cc and analyzing it all to death doesn't really do it for me. I'd have no problem calling up Riffraff and asking him for advice on some basic SS sticks and have him send em to me. And then I'd probably hit up Matt @ Gearhead for the programming you need. Then forget about the fancy HPOP and turbo, and just enjoy a nice truck.

Burnouts with a 6 speed, hmmmmm..........

For the record, I get the attraction the big Napa filter, but I'd never use one again. Too much effin noise for me.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
All that mumbo jumbo about nozzle sizes and cc and analyzing it all to death doesn't really do it for me. I'd have no problem calling up Riffraff and asking him for advice on some basic SS sticks and have him send em to me. And then I'd probably hit up Matt @ Gearhead for the programming you need. Then forget about the fancy HPOP and turbo, and just enjoy a nice truck.

Burnouts with a 6 speed, hmmmmm..........

For the record, I get the attraction the big Napa filter, but I'd never use one again. Too much effin noise for me.
You're getting old on me

Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 PM
abowman
Tuned
i did the napa filter because it was cheap, and i spent all my extra money on some bills and truck. i will be doing another k & n or like intake setup, i called riff raff today and ordered my two pod pillar guage i dont need the auto tranny heat guage anymore, and asked if he did any live tuning but that was a no go. im not to fond of burnouts just because tires are not cheap, my last truck was an auto and i hated it for towing. at first i thought about 200cc 100% nozzles but i was reading that the 238cc could be turned down so i dont have to worry about under injecting the truck for future mods. but i would rather go with a smaller injector if it means more reliability.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
You're getting old on me
I know it and I feel bad. What the heck is happening to me? Maybe when the boy heads off to college I'll get the mod bug back and my tolerance level will increase.

Ok, I'd probably do the turbo too.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 AM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo

Ok, I'd probably do the turbo too.
But only after a 5-7 page thread debating the root causes of smoke and EGTs along with the merits of the 38R vs. every other combination known to man.....

Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Ya, but it sounds so cool!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
With reliability as the paramount objective, you already had the sticks (new, not reman) IH AC160/stock - you just want a better tuner, bigger turbo, a nice intake, and 4" exhaust. Fuel mods protect the sticks and augment the reliability. 80% nozzles are as you say, "unmolested" - and the 100% nozzle is a modified 80% nozzle.

When Stinky crests what I estimate to be about 375HP, things can get expensive. Billet intake manifolds, traction bars, and close attention to fueling were needed to get things back in line. I did so much damage to Stinky when I went hair-on-fire all-out on a race tune with 160/100s and proper supporting mods, I am forced to warn others to Buck$Zooka up if they follow my path or cut ahead.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
I think you are understating just how far away one should stay away from your path.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Just to the right of my avatar, you can read my opinion on that.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 AM
abowman
Tuned
well i took my traction bars off my old truck before selling it (fab tech bars) i would like to a diff turbo 38r, d66 something allong those lines (a bolt on). but the injectors i would like to only buy once and i know some of you have done it all a couple times over. i just dont want to be disappointed by going to small of an injector. my last injectors were not enough in my eyes and it may have been just because of the generic tuner i had running them. i plan on getting everything i had done on my last truck minus the oil bypass. what do you all think about 180cc 80% i would think those could get me close to my hp tq goals and still be reliable?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My advise... with 15+ years modding these trucks...

P.I.S 160/30's or 160/100's
Hydra chip
Honey Badger HPOP
38R with a Billet wheel
Isspro Gauges (EGT, Boost and Fuel pressure)

That will net you about 400hp. Will do anything you ask of it, fun to drive, low maintenance and low smoke.

Dont cheap out on injectors...

P.I.S are the best injectors I have run in 10 sets.

Quick Reply: injectors again