6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Oil Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Interval

Hey Guys,
What is the consensus on oil change intervals? A co-worker has a new GM and just took his in for a change before the "on board monitor" recommended it and the mechanics told him that he could void his warranty if he changes the oil too often. Has anyone ever heard of anything so stupid? I'm going to run full synthetic and plan to change it every 10,000km. I realize that is premature especially since I do almost no towing or city driving but it's just cheap piece of mind to me. Just curious what others are doing and if there are potential warranty issues involved? Thanks

Old 11-03-2014, 02:19 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never heard of a warranty denial because your oil is too clean! Too often is a waste of money and resources but that's none of the techs business.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
So long as you abide by the recommendation in the owners manual you'll be fine and there won't be any warranty issues.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
The dealer's oil change place always asks, do you want 3,000 miles or 5,000 on the sticker. They never say, "Hey!, we don't want to see you back here until the change oil light/message comes on".

I change my oil in the 5-6000 mile range, change my air filter at 20,000 miles, fuel filers at 15,000. I also agree that it's waste of resources. Old habits are hard to break. I like my truck and want to treat it well so that it lasts for a long time.

bruce....

Old 11-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always do the first oil change at 3000, the second at 4000 and every 5000 after that. My warranty should be voided and I should be thrown in jail!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:06 PM
azking_Ranch
Tuned
Had mine established when i purchase the 2015 for every 5000 miles.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:26 PM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Anybody changing their oil when the computer says to... and what is that mileage?

Would be interesting to hear what mileage the computer says and if it lines up with a Blackstone sample.

I understand every scenario is different... towing, city driving, idle times, etc...

I'm going to watch this thread. I have a 15 f350 and just turned its first thousand miles. Haven't decided if I should wait for the truck to tell me to change the oil or set mileage goals.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I do mine at 5K intervals and fuel filters at around 12K.

Works for me.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by rivrrts429
Anybody changing their oil when the computer says to... and what is that mileage?

Would be interesting to hear what mileage the computer says and if it lines up with a Blackstone sample.

I understand every scenario is different... towing, city driving, idle times, etc...

I'm going to watch this thread. I have a 15 f350 and just turned its first thousand miles. Haven't decided if I should wait for the truck to tell me to change the oil or set mileage goals.

I did a test and let my OLM run the full course to see when it told me to change my oil and the change oil message came on at 7,500 miles.

I do my own oil changes 5,000 - 5,500 miles just to error on the safe side.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:11 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I'll throw in my long winded response.

First change was at either 4200 or 4700, I can't remember.
Then changed several within the 5,000 range, over time pushing it to 6,000 all on 15w40 Motorcraft.
For the past two changes, I switched to Rotella T6 and follow the computer, which has alerted around 7,000 both times. I'm at 64k now.

Fully completing regenerations at highway speeds (as many as possible) is the key to low fuel in the oil which in theory should mean slightly longer oil changes.
Cancelling regens and low speed regens will increase the amount of fuel in the oil.
Over time, for the heck of it and at the cost of some diesel, I monitored this behavior and is how I figured that out.
Even when I didn't care, the fuel was at 2.0%, Ford says to keep it under 7%. Spend a lot of time on the highway and fuel will be <0.5%.

I change fuel filters at 15k.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 PM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
I did a test and let my OLM run the full course to see when it told me to change my oil and the change oil message came on at 7,500 miles.

I do my own oil changes 5,000 - 5,500 miles just to error on the safe side.
The way I'm understanding this post from the Tech Folder is that the engine management is constantly evaluating the worthiness of the oil and factoring in many variables like towing, regens, etc... But that little disclaimer at the bottom of the post has me scratching my head.

I think the 5,000-5,500 mark is safe. This is what I'll stick with unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by pbruckne
1st post, long time lurker, recently joined as an FTE member. I work for Ford btw and my name is Paul.

The 6.7L is more efficient from a base engine design perspective. Migrating to the CGI block material from grey iron results in much less cylinder bore distortion as well. DPF regeneration impact on oil has also been reduced significantly by using fewer "active" DPF regen cycles (post injection) in favor of "passive" regen.

The end result is far less fuel in oil dilution under most operating conditions. Extended idle and low speed stationary power applications can accelerate fuel in oil percentages over time to some extent. Truck operation at moderate highway speeds will keep this in check.

The oil life monitor/systems programming is designed such that it monitors the engines operating parameters (temp, speed, engine load, frequency of dpf regen events, etc.) and adjust oil change intervals accordingly. Some of our fleet development vehicles such as FP&L have reported >9K miles before the oil monitor activated. Note that these fleet test vehicles, along with the others we have across the country have an oil analysis performed after every oil change in most cases.

During engine development it was determined that DSI (down stream injection or 9th injector) was less desireable for a number of factors for this engine program. Refinement of the active/passive regeneration strategy, eliminating the complexity of having another low pressure fuel system to manage, improved engine efficiency and the cost were just a few of the variables.

My intent is to post from time to time when the opportunity presents itself and learn what I can to help make our products better in the future. Please know that I only frequent FTE once a week or so when workload permits and athough unfortuneately I'm unable to respond to every question or concern on the forum regarding the 6.7L or Super Duty, I will try to provide relevant information when/where I can (such as above) within the guidelines of the company. Typically I've found that hearing direct feedback from multiple owners on a particular topic/thread provides a good overview of what the good the bad and the ugly is.

Thanks for your time, have a great day!

-Paul

Disclaimer: I work at Ford, and this is my own opinion and is not the opinion of Ford Motor Company.

That little disclaimer at the bottom has me scratching my head.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
He was an engineer at Ford who worked on this engine. He was here on his own helping us out until he was reassigned to take on a new task. If he said something that caused your engine to grenade, you couldn't blame Ford because he wasn't here at Ford's request.
He was very helpful.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User

The first message on my 2012 was 10,200. Questionable in my opinion.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
The first message on my 2012 was 10,200. Questionable in my opinion.
That would freak me out lol.

It might be perfectly okay but between here and friends/family nobody changes it when the computer says so.

I would really like to hear from someone who went your mileage and got an oil analysis.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
That would freak me out lol.

It might be perfectly okay but between here and friends/family nobody changes it when the computer says so.

I would really like to hear from someone who went your mileage and got an oil analysis.
I had already changed it twice when the message came up. Of course the computer didn't know that. Also, I do a lot of in town driving which seems would shorten the oil change interval.

But then I guess some people would never change their oil unless something reminded them. So 10k is better than not.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Interval