Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Airaid throttle body spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:39 AM
cwb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do these work as advertised?Worth the money?

Old 07-17-2003, 04:14 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Diesels dont have throttle bodies.

Old 07-17-2003, 11:20 AM
cwb
Posting Guru

Sorry, this should have gone in the gasser forum. My mistake

Old 07-23-2003, 08:57 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Airaid spacer installed on my '01 PSD. It may be called a throttle body spacer, but it actually fits in the hose connection between the intercooler and intake manifold. I have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage, but the biggest benefit I have received is the increase of acceleration. It seems to help speed incoming air into the intake and allows turbo to spool up faster. I am pleased with the results of this mod.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:50 PM
76Econoline
Senior User

Mueckster, I am interested in this mod, and am wondering exactly which piece you installed. I looked at the spacers on the motorhaven site, but there are no pics. Can you take a digital pic of the spacer for me? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2003, 09:31 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver

I don't have a digital camera at this time, but you can find out more about these spacers at airaid.com. Just look up your application and you can see picures of that spacer. They even have instructions in Adobe Acrobat w/ illustrations as how to install them. I got mine from Truck Performance for about $92 shipping included. It's an easy < 30 min. modification.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:04 AM
76Econoline
Senior User

Thanks...got it!

Old 07-26-2003, 02:04 AM
cookie88
Hotshot

After looking at the pictures on the airraid website, I feel that any gains realized by the spacer would be psychosomatic at best, due to the sudden lightening of one's wallet.

First, the spacer reduces the size of the intake tube, which in turn will reduce intake volume, and second, don't you imagine the turbo will get the air spinning all that it needs?

Spinning it before it gets there is like taking a whiz on a forest fire, you feel better, but you've accomplished nothing.

Old 07-26-2003, 05:02 PM
stelectric
Freshman User
Talking Airaid throttle body spacers

cookie ,your so cruel

Old 07-27-2003, 12:04 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver

Don't knock it until you've tried it! The vortex caused by spacer increases the velocity of the air as it passes thru it. It's called "physics".

Last edited by mueckster; 07-27-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:18 PM
Ggg6
Senior User

mueckster, do you have any data on your claims? ie:dyno runs not "seat of the pants". I am not being sarcastic toward you. I am no stranger to the pyhsics of airflow, and the application of this product as they state in their install instructions on a Powerstroke diesel and the power increase claims they make are very suspect. The claims they make in their ads are so small they are almost infintesimal. I believe it was 5 or10ft.lbs. increase. This small of an increase could easily be accounted for by tire pressure changes, barometric changes as well as ambient air temp changes.
Take a look at the install instructions, the spacer is installed after the turbo and before the intercooler, so the turbo gets no benefit and the intercooler would negate any "vortex" as the air passes through it. Not to mention the false advertising "throttle body" "increased atomization" these are direct injected engines there is no fuel to atomize in the intake system, this all leads me to be VERY suspicious of any claims this company makes.
Like I said I am not making an attack on you. I just don't tollerate false claims, and rip-offs by corporations.

Last edited by Ggg6; 07-27-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:11 PM
cookie88
Hotshot

The vortex caused by spacer increases the velocity of the air as it passes thru it.
Yes, it does. It is also completely irrelevant in a forced induction application. The turbo dosen't care if the incoming air is moving or not, it's only concern is there is a sufficient air present to fill the engine's requirements. i.e. volume.

It's called "physics".
I think in this application it could be referred to as "snake oil".

Last edited by cookie88; 07-27-2003 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:33 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver

The spacer is placed between the intercooler and the intake manifold. This does not affect the spinning effect of the air as it passes into the intake manifold. The spinning increases combustion efficiency. At least, that's the idea behind it.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:20 PM
cookie88
Hotshot

The spinning increases combustion efficiency. At least, that's the idea behind it.
It's an idea that works fine when you are mixing air/fuel in the manifold, like a gasser, but in a Powerstroke the fuel shot isn't delivered until after the intake valve is closed. The only "atomization" of the fuel that takes place comes from the little holes in the injector tip.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:14 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver

The only other reason I can explain the performance increase in my truck is that the spacer, along with a free-flowing air filter, allows more air volume to be introduced into the intake. The PCM sees this increase and allows for more fuel, thus increasing power. I realize power gains are not as great as other mods, but the spacer does have positive effects on the intake system. Change is good- if done with a positive attitude.

Quick Reply: Airaid throttle body spacers