6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Sooo frustrated... 6 months without my truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:00 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In hindsight, that's what I should have done. I thought the problem would be obvious - cycling the fuel pump a few times made the fuel start dripping out of the oil pan drain within a minute... I was sure I'd be able to find it without pulling the glow plugs.
There's a diesel shop an hour and a half away that claims to be one of only three places in Canada that can test powerstroke injectors, they are a very reputable shop, I might be going on a road trip.
I thought of just replacing all four injectors on that side, but that would cost me 1800 bucks, and with the way my luck has been going, wouldn't solve the problem.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I have a thought and I think you are going to want ot
do the injector glow plug test.

What if the injectors are all OK. That leaves you with
the possibility of a crack in one of the fuel galleries
that are in the head. Would not want you to replace
injectors and find out that was not the problem.

Sean

Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Quick update... got the injectors tested, one failed, replaced 3, just did another bubble test, it passed... going to finish buttoning it up... send some positive vibes my way if you read this...
I'll report back in a couple of hours good or bad

Old 11-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by John Irwin
Quick update... got the injectors tested, one failed, replaced 3, just did another bubble test, it passed... going to finish buttoning it up... send some positive vibes my way if you read this...
I'll report back in a couple of hours good or bad
Some good words!
Video of the start?

Sean

Old 11-21-2014, 12:18 AM
John Irwin
Elder User

No video. I've taken 3 or 4 different videos of different things to show you guys, and I've never got one uploaded yet except for the one I linked through facebook of the blowby back in April. They either load sideways, or photobucket takes 10 hrs to load one - something always goes wrong.

In a holding pattern right now... I drained the oil and waited an hour until I had 7 drips in 10 seconds coming out, cycled the fuel pump 6 times, waiting until it shut off each time, and still only had 7 in 10. I fired it up, it sounds good, but I'm letting the oil level stabilize so I can mark it and see if it starts rising when I go for a drive. Plus I have to put the cac and air cleaner back on.

If this works, I will be tearing into the passenger side to replace 2 more injectors - I will explain later.
Pleeeease work....

Old 11-21-2014, 12:55 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
What are you using to take the video with?
I have been using my iPhone and then I use
a tool called Handbrake >>> https://handbrake.fr/ BTW it a free tool.
to transcode (convert) it to a MKV encoded video file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MatroskaThey upload well that way to Youtube. Then they upload fast.
MKV files are smaller. That is do to the compression it does.
So your not waiting hours to upload them.

Sean

Old 11-21-2014, 02:22 AM
John Irwin
Elder User

Last post of the night.... power is back, oil pressure is back, truck runs like it's supposed to. Thanks Sean and everybody else for everything... now I watch the oil level and get ready to change 2 more POS injectors. I will post what happened at Taber Diesel tomorrow...these guys rock big time.
And I will discuss how to post videos with you Sean. My wife and kids couldn't effin believe you would have drove up to help me if I would have been a few hours closer.
They don't understand the 6.0 band of bros...

Old 11-21-2014, 03:07 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Well I do need a vacation form this vacation.
Or should I say this early disability retirement.
I just don't understand how someone can retire
and not go insane.

Sean

Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John Irwin
Last post of the night.... power is back, oil pressure is back, truck runs like it's supposed to. Thanks Sean and everybody else for everything... now I watch the oil level and get ready to change 2 more POS injectors. I will post what happened at Taber Diesel tomorrow...these guys rock big time.
And I will discuss how to post videos with you Sean. My wife and kids couldn't effin believe you would have drove up to help me if I would have been a few hours closer.
They don't understand the 6.0 band of bros...
awesome news!!!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE=Yahiko;14838997]

and not go insane.

That's why you buy a mistreated 6.0 and bring it back to life

Old 11-21-2014, 01:08 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Well I do need a vacation form this vacation.
Or should I say this early disability retirement.
and not go insane.

Sean
This is why I am on here so much posting, I am going nuts. Tried to change a bottom radiator hose on the wifes Dodge Neon dang near killed me. When the docs said I cant work anymore they weren't kidding.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:10 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Finally got some time to post again.
I did the 1.5 hr road trip to Taber Diesel... these guys have my utmost respect, and they live 6.0 Fords. They even have a partially disassembled 6.0 in the front office so they can show customers why they need to do the things they do and what will happen if they don't. The tech tested the injectors on their self designed/built machine, and told me the one was leaking out of the body, and another one was starting to also.
The one that passed with flying colors was one I got from Ford, the other 3 were my Bostech specials. He told me I needed to replace all 3, then asked me if there were any more Bostechs on the passenger side. I told him there were 2 on that side, he told me to swap them out pronto.
He also told me that was probably what torched my piston, he didn't think a canned tune would make that kind of mess. So they will be getting the heave-ho next week. That's probably what filled the pan full of fuel when I had the runaway... I always just assumed it was getting past the torched piston.
I could tell the difference as soon as I fired the truck up - it had a way more pronounced sound. And I drove it up and down the road for an hour last night, and the oil level hasn't risen. Now I play the waiting game.

Big thanks to all that posted, and put up with this long drawn out thread.
And i will try the stuff Sean posted about posting videos... when i get more time.

Gotta go, I'm going to get my 1.5 year old grand daughter to have an overnight with "Bops" while her parents and granny go to a play that my son is in in Medicine Hat.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:25 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Good stuff and if this doesn't convince somebody to use OEM injectors I don't know what will.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
John
This song is for you and the truck.

Sean

Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Haha, thanks for that! Went to a Willie concert in Calgary a few years back, I swear I was blazed when I walked out, and I haven't had a puff of wacky tabaccy in 25 years.
Took a deep breath and hooked onto the stock trailer today, and headed into town to get some calf bale feeders. Threw the tow rope in the back and made sure my cell phone was charged before I left.
It has more power towing the trailer going into the wind that it had before empty and no wind. It still has an intermittent miss - about every 3-5 minutes it will jerk, but it made it home, and I enjoyed the heck out of finally driving it again.
If the miss is still there after I swap the last 2 injectors out, I'll be starting another thread, probably titled "My truck has an intermittent miss, so sick of this stupid thing".

Quick Reply: Sooo frustrated... 6 months without my truck