Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Some Dyno Numbers and Turbo info

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well Keith got his new truck...

An SD PSD.... For a really good deal, so I cant blame him. I was fully expecting him to show in an 88 CC, and that truck turned out to be a POS...

That being said, I tried to goad him into letting me get the whole setup off of him to drop into smogie, but he seems adamant about putting it in an F150 or Bronco.... SOOoooooooo...

We'll see what comes here soon...

Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
That's bad, but good for him, I guess. All jokes aside, he will enjoy the SD. Can't wait to see what's in store for his idi!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:03 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So beyond this post, any other info on this project will go here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15480832

That is the transplant for Keith's engine and a whole build will be made of it...

In terms of covering the other aspects... I have found a work truck that will be the test subject that Keiths truck was being used for. It hauls heavy every day, all day, and will start from a stock N/A 7.3 and go from there. Its current drawback is that it has a C6, but I picked up a reman E4OD for it this weekend, so it can give reliable numbers in the quest from stock to wild. I will have a build thread for it as soon as I start the E4OD conversion... Soon.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:51 AM
Doofussevilla
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
So beyond this post, any other info on this project will go here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15480832

That is the transplant for Keith's engine and a whole build will be made of it...

In terms of covering the other aspects... I have found a work truck that will be the test subject that Keiths truck was being used for. It hauls heavy every day, all day, and will start from a stock N/A 7.3 and go from there. Its current drawback is that it has a C6, but I picked up a reman E4OD for it this weekend, so it can give reliable numbers in the quest from stock to wild. I will have a build thread for it as soon as I start the E4OD conversion... Soon.
I have 92 f-250 zf5 4x4 with fresh idi I redone. I was happy with truck but I through about 15k on her and she didn't go very far. Pumps turned up and had 088 ats turbo. I havent found performance parts so I as planning a Cummins swap. I read up and seen nmb2 and she pulled pretty good. So i figured build an idi instead of a Cummins. Was wondering what set up would be reliable and still have close numbers to your guy's..

Old 07-07-2016, 05:44 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Doofussevilla
I have 92 f-250 zf5 4x4 with fresh idi I redone. I was happy with truck but I through about 15k on her and she didn't go very far. Pumps turned up and had 088 ats turbo. I havent found performance parts so I as planning a Cummins swap. I read up and seen nmb2 and she pulled pretty good. So i figured build an idi instead of a Cummins. Was wondering what set up would be reliable and still have close numbers to your guy's..
Look here for performance parts/kits etc
http://www.idiperformance.com

They have builds on there site. The bronco build is also has a thread here.

Is the refreshed IDI in yours an IDI Turbo rotating assembly or an NA rotating assembly. The NA is fine for most setups, but as you will see from the Bronco thread, it doesn't hold up to extreme builds. The rods of an NA block ended up bending when constantly run at 50psi of boost.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Doofussevilla
New User
Originally Posted by jayro88
Look here for performance parts/kits etc
http://www.idiperformance.com

They have builds on there site. The bronco build is also has a thread here.

Is the refreshed IDI in yours an IDI Turbo rotating assembly or an NA rotating assembly. The NA is fine for most setups, but as you will see from the Bronco thread, it doesn't hold up to extreme builds. The rods of an NA block ended up bending when constantly run at 50psi of boost.
It was a Na block, but I put ats turbo. Only makes 5-10 psi though.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:35 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
It was a Na block, but I put ats turbo. Only makes 5-10 psi though.
At that level there shouldn't be any issues. As far as how far you can push the boost on a NA block, i am not sure, other would be able to answer that better. I will say that i had not heard of any issues with putting a turbo on one until the Bronco build and 50 psi is A LOT of boost. Did you install head studs when you refreshed the engine? They are required for added clamping force if you are going above the 12-15psi range.

The IDI turbo rods are beefier than the NA rods. R&D is working on machining a set of PSD rods that should be able to withstand all kinds of abuse.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 AM
Doofussevilla
New User
Originally Posted by jayro88
At that level there shouldn't be any issues. As far as how far you can push the boost on a NA block, i am not sure, other would be able to answer that better. I will say that i had not heard of any issues with putting a turbo on one until the Bronco build and 50 psi is A LOT of boost. Did you install head studs when you refreshed the engine? They are required for added clamping force if you are going above the 12-15psi range.

The IDI turbo rods are beefier than the NA rods. R&D is working on machining a set of PSD rods that should be able to withstand all kinds of abuse.
No head studs. Just new Ford factory bolts. When I build the motor up I don't plant on running over 30-35 psi. I'll try injection pump, bigger turbo, headstuds, intercooler, maybe shaved please pistons. Hopefully that will wake her up. Like I said I was looking for reliable build.
Thanks!

Old 07-07-2016, 08:53 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
No head studs. Just new Ford factory bolts. When I build the motor up I don't plant on running over 30-35 psi. I'll try injection pump, bigger turbo, headstuds, intercooler, maybe shaved please pistons. Hopefully that will wake her up. Like I said I was looking for reliable build.
Thanks!
Studs are always a good idea. R&D sells a couple of cams that can are supposed to really wake up a turbo engine. I believe it is focused on event timing etc. I don't know the specifics of their cams, but i know that a cam can lower the cranking compression of an engine due to event overlaps etc. If this is the case with the R&D cams, then shaving pistons may not be needed. If you talk to them about your turbo/setup they can tell you what it's performance limit is and make suggestions if you want more. At some point turbo is too inefficient to provide more air and the piping is too small to drive and exhaust it. They can answer these questions.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Thanks!
A RD4-150 and somewhere between a BW S362 and S366 will get you where I think you are wanting. That should get you roughly 350hp give or take. Also like Jayro88 said, look at a cam. You are on the right track with where you want to be. R&D will get you good performance. No need to swap these engines out. They can make some good power. Also FYI, Justin is also currently testing some low compression head gaskets right now. That might be something else to look at in the future as well. A cam should be fine though to drop enough dynamic compression IMO.