Newbie, newbie, new It won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 AM
stignatious
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie, newbie, new It won't start!!

Greetings!

I've had my 2001 F150 for a little over a year now and it's started giving me some issues. Main one is, it won't start. I've looked at the forums and there are plenty of suggestions as to what it may be, but no definite answers. I've worked on cars my whole life, but these newer ones are beyond me. I simply don't know where to start and I'm out of time. Is there somewhere on here to show me component positions with pictures? I've got other questions, like why don't my side mirrors move? or the blinkers blink. The fuse is good.
But the main thing is it NOT RUNNING!!
Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks all!!

Old 10-18-2014, 02:52 PM
stignatious
New User
Added news.... Code reader shows no errors.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:05 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
"Won't start" and 'Not running" are useless descriptions of a problem unless you're standing in front of the service writer at some place where they're going to kill your credit card to fix it.

Since no one but you can see or touch the vehicle, you have to provide useful descriptions and observations.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:15 PM
stignatious
New User
ok let me try it this way. Is there any where in these forums that show component placement with pictures? After going through what knowledge I have, IE: check all fuses related to starting or fuel pump and finding them all good. Checking for loose connections on what I could find. The truck continues to spin without starting. New battery in place. It acts like it's not getting fuel, but I can hear the pump kick in when the key is turned. What testing I could do shows the relays to all be good. (7PM) I was finally able to get it started by turning the key on and off repeatedly. It felt like I was priming the pump.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:48 PM
z 97ford1
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Spend a little money:
Sounds like you have not had the truck long enough to know what the other owner did so, new fuel filter, wires and spark plugs (motor craft), pcv and air filter. Keep the plugs so you can see and study what they look like - it can tell you a lot about the engine.
High probability it will start after that.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Have you thought about checking fuel pressure with a gage on the test port?
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:21 AM
200000+F150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like fuel filter clogged or pump is dying by the description. Find the fuel rail (the piping attached to the injectors). There is a service port with a cap on a schrader valve - basically like a tire valve stem. Pull the cap and take something small and preferably non-metallic that will depress the stem in the center. Turn on the key for about ten seconds and back off and immediately push in the stem in the valve. Does fuel come out? Just a dribble or a pressurized spray? (don't soak yourself here). If no fuel, or just a tiny dribble then yes, you've got fuel problems. Replace the filter first, since it is both much easier and much cheaper than the pump (It's underneath, near the fuel tank and you'll need a special tool to remove it which you can pick up cheap when you get the filter. Turn the key on and off several times after you replace to build pressure and try starting. Wait 15 minutes and see if it starts normally. If not, find a pressure gauge or someone who has one and check the pressure. About 40 PSI is good IIRC. If no or low pressure - fuel pump time, most likely. Get someone to turn on the key while you're back near the tank to see if you hear it run for a couple of seconds first. If you don't, check fuel pump relay, wiring, etc. If you are getting power to the connector and it doesn't run, get ready to drop the tank and some cash (or remove the bed and drop some cash) Or get someone else to do it and drop a lot more cash.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Good, you've now provided some information that is useful.

You have a "Crank but no start" condition.

Since you can hear the fuel pump run during the priming cycle, that eliminates electrical problems with the fuel pump. However, as others have highlighted, you now need to prove you have fuel at the needed pressure and volume. Attaching the fuel pressure gauge to the Schraeder valve on the fuel rail is the safest method and will quickly tell you whether or not you have a fuel delivery issue. A shortcut would be to spray a shot of starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it fires on that. If so, you aren't getting fuel. If it doesn't fire on the ether, then you have an ignition ("No Spark") problem.

If you get to the "no spark" side of the equation, you will need to identify which engine you have.