6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My new 2015 super duty first impression

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 04:36 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Yep, found them, blunt cut, removed the top of the fuse box to locate. These are different colors than explained in the manual. found a fleet truck manual per the video elsewhere on this site and now learning which switch each wire goes to. Thanks FTE folks for the awesome information.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:12 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 94ruck
Yep, found them, blunt cut, removed the top of the fuse box to locate. These are different colors than explained in the manual. found a fleet truck manual per the video elsewhere on this site and now learning which switch each wire goes to. Thanks FTE folks for the awesome information.
Switch wire colors are documented. Passthru's are not (never seen that list)

Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
AS i am gradullay lighting the rather dim bulb above my head, I realize that the pass through wires are not wire to anything on either end. I haven't removed my lower cover under the steering wheel to locate the interior side of the pas through wires yet.
I am not a total idiot when it comes to wiring or working on vehicles but have found this venture to be somewhat a PITA due to the lack of info in the manual, wrong info in the manual and somewhat varying info even on FTE.
So, in summary, I have found the 4 wires near the emergency brake up high coming from the upfitter switches, blunt cut and ready for wiring.
I have found 4 blunt cut wires in the engine compartment, not of the same color, blunt cut and ready to be wired on both ends. I need to locate the other end of these wires under the dash near the e brake or steering column and from there, I can proceed to wire as need the accessories that need power.
I have some pictures but have not uploaded yet. AS I get deeper into this project in the next weeks, I will attempt to document.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

AS i am gradullay lighting the rather dim bulb above my head, I realize that the pass through wires are not wire to anything on either end. I haven't removed my lower cover under the steering wheel to locate the interior side of the pas through wires yet.
I am not a total idiot when it comes to wiring or working on vehicles but have found this venture to be somewhat a PITA due to the lack of info in the manual, wrong info in the manual and somewhat varying info even on FTE.
So, in summary, I have found the 4 wires near the emergency brake up high coming from the upfitter switches, blunt cut and ready for wiring.
I have found 4 blunt cut wires in the engine compartment, not of the same color, blunt cut and ready to be wired on both ends. I need to locate the other end of these wires under the dash near the e brake or steering column and from there, I can proceed to wire as need the accessories that need power.
I have some pictures but have not uploaded yet. AS I get deeper into this project in the next weeks, I will attempt to document.
the 4 blunt cut passthru wires are right in the same place as the upfitter wires under the dash... part of the big bundle of blunt cut wires for the SEIC

Old 01-05-2015, 02:50 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
So I have to identify by color or by multi meter,lol. at 48, my eyesight aint' the "goodest". Getting ready to play a little with it now and see what i come up with. I want an led light or lightbar under the bumper, additional light in the bed as I use my truck as a truck a lot and it is nice to see in there and probably an additional light in the rear fro hooking up the trailer.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

So I have to identify by color or by multi meter,lol. at 48, my eyesight aint' the "goodest". Getting ready to play a little with it now and see what i come up with. I want an led light or lightbar under the bumper, additional light in the bed as I use my truck as a truck a lot and it is nice to see in there and probably an additional light in the rear fro hooking up the trailer.
this last time I made little jumpers, crimp connector---wire---crimp connector,
cause at 63 I don't do upside down anymore and glasses fight me at every turn!..

last time I did this, my crimper with cutter, cut thru the GPS antenna wire just above the wires cause I didn't see it (black on black background, and me not upside down)

getting the blunt ends stripped is a pita!. on my just completed light bar in the bumper, I used a T-tap connector at the fuse box, SO much easier!!.. next time I will do that under the dash too. (only 1 Upfitter left for me, compressor, aux fuel tank and now light bar)

also, I didn't have any trouble identifying the different wires. reaching them was fun (not!), under the hood the worst.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
OK, my wiring project got sidetracked after the holidays were over. i actually bought some cheap lights and train horn to install, took the lights back as they were terrible and the train horn sitting on the work bench..I do have the wires found and a home made loom made for adding to the outside once i get back to it.
So, at 7850 miles, my change oil soon light came on. i bought a tub, 4 gallons of rotella non synthetic, a new motorcraft filter and proceeded with the change.
I do not have the 1/4 turn plug but a regular drain plug with a danged 16mm head. i poked a hole in the filter, drained it, drainded the motor oil, replaced the filter ( filled it with oil and screwed it on, it is easy to see the screw and the seat). The oil was dark as usual but nothing spectacular or unusual and not worth sedning it out to test for me. I also drained the water separator and checked for floating or sinking fluid, water or particles. all clean, no worries.
refilled with 16 qts and away i go. No problems. i thought about rotating tires but did not,lol. res set the oil mileage on the computer, which also said i was below half on my def. I wish there was a gauge as i added the full box at 5000 miles and it did not fill it and I don't know how much was in it when i got the truck.
No problems with truck at 8000 miles. Pulling almost every weekend and commuting during the week. used 4x4 several times with the trailer on, lock the rear axle and 4 high and roll right in. haven't spun a tire yet even with the damp conditions we have had this winter. Very impressed with the locking rear dif. not so impressed with the 3.31 gearing as it varies incredibly on mileage and the wind really drags the economy down. i have had actual highs at 20+mpg empty and lows at 15 in traffic empty. around 10 pulling the trailer into the wind and 13 if the wind is low or going our direction.

Happy with the truck at 4 months and 8000 miles. Glad i did the purchase, also look forward to driving it. i hope to get on my light project soon.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a friendly heads up the 6.7 only takes 13qts of oil. They decided to be different with the 6.7 all the previous powerstrokes were 15qt I believe. Unless for some reason the 2015 is different than the 11-14 models. If I'm wrong someone correct me.

OK, my wiring project got sidetracked after the holidays were over. i actually bought some cheap lights and train horn to install, took the lights back as they were terrible and the train horn sitting on the work bench..I do have the wires found and a home made loom made for adding to the outside once i get back to it.
So, at 7850 miles, my change oil soon light came on. i bought a tub, 4 gallons of rotella non synthetic, a new motorcraft filter and proceeded with the change.
I do not have the 1/4 turn plug but a regular drain plug with a danged 16mm head. i poked a hole in the filter, drained it, drainded the motor oil, replaced the filter ( filled it with oil and screwed it on, it is easy to see the screw and the seat). The oil was dark as usual but nothing spectacular or unusual and not worth sedning it out to test for me. I also drained the water separator and checked for floating or sinking fluid, water or particles. all clean, no worries.
refilled with 16 qts and away i go. No problems. i thought about rotating tires but did not,lol. res set the oil mileage on the computer, which also said i was below half on my def. I wish there was a gauge as i added the full box at 5000 miles and it did not fill it and I don't know how much was in it when i got the truck.
No problems with truck at 8000 miles. Pulling almost every weekend and commuting during the week. used 4x4 several times with the trailer on, lock the rear axle and 4 high and roll right in. haven't spun a tire yet even with the damp conditions we have had this winter. Very impressed with the locking rear dif. not so impressed with the 3.31 gearing as it varies incredibly on mileage and the wind really drags the economy down. i have had actual highs at 20+mpg empty and lows at 15 in traffic empty. around 10 pulling the trailer into the wind and 13 if the wind is low or going our direction.

Happy with the truck at 4 months and 8000 miles. Glad i did the purchase, also look forward to driving it. i hope to get on my light project soon.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
I mistyped...13 quarts total including what i added into the filter. 3 gallons plus a quart! i did check the oil later in the day and she was right on the mark. thanks for correcting me though!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:38 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm glad you got the 13 right. Some of us that got first run 6.7 diesels really had to be careful about the oil fill. Everyone, even dealer techs, had to ensure that we didn't pour 16 quarts into the engine.

Glad you like the truck. I'm very happy with mine. I've got almost 15,000 on it now and I'm ready for oil change #2 and fuel filters.

Your def tank was likely half full when truck was new. I seem to be using more def than I'm used to as I have to fill it every 3,000 miles. I'm inclined to think that the 2015 uses more of it. Get some more def and do your best to fill that tank full. The filer tube does not vent very well and to get the last gallon in there takes a few minutes. I wish we had a real gauge on that tank too.

My mpg seems to be getting better, I averaged almost 12 over the last 5,000 miles towing a 16' equipment trailer. I had neutral winds which helps. Any headwind over 6mph costs me 1-3mpg while trailer weight has very little effect at all.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 AM
whiteywhip
Senior User
traded in my 2011...6.7 f-350 super cab lariat 4x4 for a 2015 6.7 f-250 lariat super cab 4x4 long bed 3.55 gear with elect locking rear...chrome package/snow plow package/upfitter switches/hd alt/black leather/vermillion red exterior.....yes she has more *****.....just hit 100 miles so i really cant report much.....all i know is it seems the price went up on all the options.....my 2011 was loaded and the sticker was 58 grand....this one has much less options and sticker is 59 grand....salesman said prices did go way up compared to 2014

Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
That is a nice red one for sure. y truck was under 40 grand which was my incentive to trade in my 6.0. Still has all the bells and whistles that I need. Been driving for 35 years without a back up camera..still don't have one,lol.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 AM
whiteywhip
Senior User
me too but it sure is sweet when hooking up my trailer......and after all those years without all those bells and whistles.....you have to treat yourself to the better things in life

Old 02-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteywhip
traded in my 2011...6.7 f-350 super cab lariat 4x4 for a 2015 6.7 f-250 lariat super cab 4x4 long bed 3.55 gear with elect locking rear...chrome package/snow plow package/upfitter switches/hd alt/black leather/vermillion red exterior.....yes she has more *****.....just hit 100 miles so i really cant report much.....all i know is it seems the price went up on all the options.....my 2011 was loaded and the sticker was 58 grand....this one has much less options and sticker is 59 grand....salesman said prices did go way up compared to 2014

Darned sharp looking truck....
That's only the second '15 Super Cab I've seen here...

If you think it has ballz now, wait until the odometer goes over 500..
You'd swear it gains another 100 pound feet of torque!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 PM
whiteywhip
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Darned sharp looking truck....
That's only the second '15 Super Cab I've seen here...

If you think it has ballz now, wait until the odometer goes over 500..
You'd swear it gains another 100 pound feet of torque!
Thanks Big-Foot......she really does go like hell......do you have any photos of your truck?..looks like a sweet combo...i always had f-350"s in the past.....i retired and figured id lighten up a bit with f-250.and always had a short bed.......everytime i would go to the lumber yard i wished i had a 8 foot bed.....just dropped off the truck to have a 9 foot hd fisher plow installed....should be sweet and just in time for the 8-16 inches of snow we are getting tonight and tomorrow

Quick Reply: My new 2015 super duty first impression