General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ruger 10/22 Rifle + Bullpup stock conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 02:26 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-17-03 AT 03:29 AM (EST)]I've been on the hunt for a gun for a while because I really enjoy shooting but it's too expensive to rent a gun everytime I go to the range. I've been really interested in getting a .22 rifle, because it's (A) not a huge expenditure; if I get tired of it, I won't be like "why did I spend all that money?" (B) Easy to use (I remember shooting .22's at summer camp when I was younger, and (C) the ammo's cheap and fairly accurate (to my knowledge). The range we go to (the only one in my area) allows up to .45 caliber ammunition on their range. I was thinking about getting a Ruger 10/22 rifle, as well as the bullpup conversion stock (seems like it would be more manageable/compact, plus it looks cool (I had to say it )) My question is, is this a decent rifle? People seem to like them a whole lot, but they seem awfully cheap. Has anyone had any experience with these? Also, am I on the right track? Like I said, I'm just starting out, so I'm not looking for dump a huge amount of cash on this hobby (for now; if I still enjoy it a few years from now, then I'll get some better hardware), but I don't want something that's going to be constantly misfiring/misfeeding/giving me trouble. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. You guys have always been helpful in the past.

XXL

Old 01-17-2003, 03:32 AM
Racerdave
Elder User

The best damn .22 rifel in the world! My brother has one and I have been wanting to get one. I have shot many .22's in my life, I have a single shot springfield, and my G-pa handed me down his semi auto/single shot .22, so old im not sure what model it is. but yes in my opinion it is worth your money, and the older ones are very acurate, I like the folding stock model with the polyplastic stock. thats just me tho, wood and me dont get along to well, thow it in the bed of your truck , toss it in the dirt, on rocks or whatever and the wood will dent or could break, the polyplastic will just scuff a little and can easily buff out. so go for the ruger 10-22

Old 01-17-2003, 06:41 AM
AOGDEN
Senior User

I would go with the Ruger 10/22, there are lots of options out there if you decide to further customize it. I currently have the Ruger 10/22 as well as a Marlin model ??? with the tubular magazine. The Marlin is more accurate out of the box but a pain in the but to reload. The tubular magazine runs the length of the barrel and you drop the rounds in one at a time. With some work by a gunsmith friend the Ruger is now the more accurate of the 2. Either one would be a good choice.
Many a poor squirell has met his fate with both.

Old 01-17-2003, 06:59 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru

Buy it...
The aftermarket upgrade options are to numerable to mention, check the catalogs from Wilson combat, Volquartsen, Dillion prescision for starters...

Buy as many magazines as you can afford, at least 3 anyway...Butler creek mags are a good aftermarket brand.

The bullpup stock I have is a peice of junk, but it was new back in the mid 80's...look kinda cool but the trigger mechanism was junk, not familiar with any new versions.

Old 01-17-2003, 07:14 AM
tw
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine since about 1990 and love it. And all my brothers have one too. I agree with racerdave that it is the best 22 there is. More accurate than most people shoot, and very durable. If youre long armed i would suggest a synthetic stock, they tend to be a little longer. Butler Creek makes a pretty good one. If youre really into it, buy the heavy target barel and stock to go with it.
The only time it ever jammed was with one of those cheap 25rnd clips. If youre gona buy larger clips, spend a little more and get a good one. Mine shoots better with copper jacketed shells, the lead bullets tend to leave more deposits and dont seem to be as accurate in it. Remmington Copperheads work fine.

Have Fun

Tony Warren
Nebraska

Old 01-17-2003, 07:50 AM
fordtruck87
Senior User

i have owned 3 ruger 10/22's i currently own 3 both are highly modifyed a 10/22 is the easyiest gun in the world to modify
i have one with a .920 bull barrel, a hogue over molded stock, a jeweled bolt and a 2.5 lbs trigger. TACK DRIVER.
my other 10/22 has a butler creek folding stock, 3 30 rd clips, a hk front sight, a slots and holes flash hider, and a bayonet lug (just need to find the right bayonet to finish her off........truthfully i have owned one bullpup stock put the gun on it and took it right off didnt like it one bit my advice would be go with a folding stock (gun looks much cooler. if your planning on goin with a stainless 10/22 i do currently have a stainless folding stock on ebay. ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2700441586&category=38 3 ) and heres another word of advice dont buy your parts from catalogs you will wway over pay check out the catalogs then check out ebay. if you go witha 10/22 you wont regret it ruger is an awsome fire arm
i have owned 3 10/22's , 1 mini 14 , 2 44 mag black hawks ,
1 45 bisley , and a customized 7mm mag RUGER IS THE BEST
if you have any questions feel free to email me

Old 01-17-2003, 07:55 AM
fordtruck87
Senior User

btw forgot to mention you can get a brick of decent 22 ammo (500) rds for about 8-9 bucks shoot all day long and never destroy your pocket. if ya go witha few high cap clips ya may wanna invest in a speed loader well worth the 25-30 youll pay and you'll save the hell outta your thumb

Old 01-17-2003, 09:46 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ruger 10-22 is a pretty good 22. It is almost indestructable and is reasonably accurate. But heck, in my opinion most American made 22s fit that description.

A lot of people don't think they need to clean a 22. That is wrong. In the long run your 22 will shoot better and last longer if you clean it after every trip to the range.

Now, if you get serious about shooting, you will probably want to move up to a good centerfire rifle. Way too many to choose from so I won't go into that here other than to say .223, .308 and 30.06 are very popular, relatively inexpensive and have lots of options. The key thing I want to say is learn to reload and get yourself reloading accessories.

If you like to shoot a lot of center fire, then reloading is the only way to go. Then again some of the surplus stuff out of Russia is awful cheap. But my experience has been it is often very inaccurate. And some of the Russian 22 won't cycle the action on many 22 automatics including the Ruger. So buyer beware.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 01-17-2003, 09:56 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-17-2003, 11:43 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everybody! Does anyone know of a quality bullup conversion? I'm having my doubts after the complaints I heard here about the trigger action. I was planning on getting the bushmaster bullpup conversion - Bushmaster seems to be a good brand all around.

Any ideas?

XXL

Old 01-17-2003, 03:42 PM
fordtruck87
Senior User

yea doubts about the bull pup are good they arent that good.
russian ammo is a steel case rugers are meant to fire brass cases thats one reason the ammo is so cheap its worthless and camn harm your gun. i was at wallmart today a blued 10/22 is 150
a stainless was 210 best all around gun for your money

Old 01-18-2003, 08:37 PM
Biker RN
New User

Check out rimfirecentral.com

This is a great site for info and feedback on all rimfire rifles, but probably 95% + is Ruger related. Has a great forum.

Richard

Old 01-21-2003, 01:22 PM
ksd
Senior User

Ruger makes some excellent and affordable firearms, and the 10/22 is no exception. I have owned them in the past, though I don't own one now because I don't need a semi-auto .22 rifle. I do, however, own two Ruger Mk II pistols and a Ruger 77/22 rifle.

The pistols are awesome. IMNSHO, the Ruger Mk II is about the ultimate plinking pistol. The Mk II is inexpensive, running from around $200 for the basic blued pistol to as much as $500 or so for a top-of-the-line stainless model with options like a bull barrel. They are VERY accurate, and reliable, too. The so-called "government" model is among the best target automatics you can buy and shoot right out of the box. I learned to shoot pistols with a Mk II when I was a kid (they've been around since 1949), and I will train my son with one, too.

The 77/22 is also a great gun. It is a bolt action rifle in .22LR that combines the excellent Ruger rotary magazine used in the 10/22 semi-auto with the design of Ruger's excellent model 77 centerfire rifles. Mine was a gift from my father when I was 16. It's got a 4x scope and a sling on it, and is highly accurate. It makes a great rifle for hunting small game, and of course for target practice.

The bottom line is that Ruger makes a very good quality product. Ruger guns aren't always the "best", but they are almost always the best value. They are very reasonably priced, made in the U.S.A., well designed, and the fit and finish is very good to excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with a Ruger.