Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Weigh In With Advice on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:27 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crewcabber
Wrong he is home schooled.
correct, he never really gave a reason for needing a full size, just that he "needed one"

Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The OP has every right to do with his $$$ as he sees fit, but he asked for advise, and in my experience lots of advise is NOT what you want to hear or have your heart set on.

To each their own.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
^^^^^^^^^^^what he said it seems his mind was made up.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:47 AM
1993_f350_2013
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blue924.9
correct, he never really gave a reason for needing a full size, just that he "needed one"
He plays football and other sports and it part of the school so he does need it to drive there. He also prolly needs a full size on the farm. It might not be 100% practical but the cool factor/nestalgia factor has to weigh in there somewhere!

Old 10-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I paid $4000 for my '97 crew cab with ~160K and rust starting to come through the bedsides above the rear wheels, as well as a slew of minor issues like windows not working, but a pretty clean truck for all that. Twice that for 38K and a lot cleaner doesn't seem ridiculous, even given that it's a regular cab rather than my crew. As others have said, where you are in the country makes a lot of difference. Rust free trucks are a lot more expensive in the rust belt. Could you do better? Maybe. Could you turn around and sell it without losing money? Maybe. But either way, for what it is you at least aren't paying way too much.

Is it really a 38K mile truck? How the heck should any of us know. You're the one who can look at it and evaluate the likely truth of that claim.

Is it a good choice for a 16 year old? The mileage will stink, but hey, your eyes are open. Is it a safe vehicle for a 16 year old? Depends on the kid. I wouldn't have any problem putting either of my kids in a vehicle like that.

Should you buy a truck for your kid? This is a truck forum, you probably ought to go to your parenting forum when you want that type of advice . For what it's worth, I've provided both of my kids with vehicles. They still belong to me (the vehicles that is, I don't think I can claim to own the kids ), and I'm not sure if I'll end up giving them to the kids, selling them, or taking them back. But as with you, that's my choice. And my choice doesn't impact your choice.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1993_f350_2013
He plays football and other sports and it part of the school so he does need it to drive there. He also prolly needs a full size on the farm. It might not be 100% practical but the cool factor/nestalgia factor has to weigh in there somewhere!
oh yeah i've been there once before to lol, 1 of 4 trucks in the lot

Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed over the years that people who never got anything for free in their life, think nobody else should. I bought both my girls cars, and my son is next, They all have and are doing great in school. That makes me want to do something nice for them. I would do the same but my boy wants his sisters mustang, he know he can use my f350 when ever he wants. Good kids get nice things.

I wouldn't want to pay for the gas, but that's not my problem.

In Tucson that truck would sell for $8000 easy, the market isn't low everywhere. I just payed $4500 for an 88' with 109,000 miles, needs some work lift tires, I'll have $8000 into it when I'm done, so a finished truck is worth that. My truck has no rust.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if he's anything like myself and the rest of the home schooled guys I grew up with, then he's probably done school before noon, and spends the rest of day working.

If that's the case, then it is possible for the kid to work for the gas. I did the same thing when I bought my truck.

And where I'm from that is a fair price for that truck....even if it has more miles

Old 10-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rugermack
I've noticed over the years that people who never got anything for free in their life, think nobody else should. I bought both my girls cars, and my son is next, They all have and are doing great in school. That makes me want to do something nice for them. I would do the same but my boy wants his sisters mustang, he know he can use my f350 when ever he wants. Good kids get nice things.
Good observation. My grandparents immigrated here from Sweden. They were dirt poor, so they had nothing (financial) to give my dad. At first he looked at it like he hadn't got anything that he hadn't earned, so he was going to raise his kids (me) the same way. But then he came to the realization that his partents have him everything they possibly could. In fact, when he and my mom got married they moved into my grandparents apartment and my grandparents moved out, leaving them with all the furniture, dishes, etc. And although they couldn't pay for my dad to go to college, they got him through college.

My parents paid my college tuition, they provided a vehicle for me to drive until I graduated, and they even gave me a brand new truck when I graduated. I like to think I turned out alright. So I'm doing what I can for my kids. As I said above, that's included providing them with cars. But it also includes teaching them that they aren't entitled to this, and that they'll need to work their way through life. I'm giving them a head start because life isn't fair, and in this case, "unfair" is to their advantage.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Helping your kids when they are young, helps them get a better start in this world, which means it will cost "you" less in the future. If they live with you until they are 40, it costs you a bunch of money. It's worth the money to get them started in life, this way you can enjoy your retirement instead of still raising them. I prefer the "helping them method", just remeber someday they might have to wipe your a$$.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 PM
mr_malina
Senior User
I would not recommend a vehicle like this. I am thankful that I have a 300 I6 F150 in high school, I like many young males did a lot of dumb things and I am sure it would have ended badly if I had a larger more powerful vehicle. I personally would get my son something more stock(ish) and with airbags, I am sure you could get a good more modern truck for that price range.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by easongt
I've been pretty polite up to a point. Throwing two cents in on whether the truck is priced right or wrong is totally cool. But it's none of your damn business how much money I spend on MY kids or what THEY drive. If you have issues with that... then it's on you. Think I'm outta line? Follow me biting my tongue this whole thread. Thanks to those who responded maturely.
I'm with easongt on this. If I had a 16 year old son, first I'd hope I'd raised him well enough(home schooling is a good start) and he' get a great first car. I'd personally want him more involved in it(fixing, buying, etc) but to each his own. It's nobody else's business how another raises there kids, period.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:18 PM
87-XL-Squared
Senior User
Others spotted this but I'm late to the thread so I'll say it again. I don't think that gauge cluster came on an XLT Lariat because there is no tach. That's an XL gauge cluster. So either the truck is not an XLT, or they swapped in a cluster that had really low miles - which is my guess. Just something to be aware of.

It's an incredible truck, thanks for posting!

Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 87-XL-Squared
Others spotted this but I'm late to the thread so I'll say it again. I don't think that gauge cluster came on an XLT Lariat because there is no tach. That's an XL gauge cluster. So either the truck is not an XLT, or they swapped in a cluster that had really low miles - which is my guess. Just something to be aware of.

It's an incredible truck, thanks for posting!
My 90 is an XLT and it has no tach. I know it's original cause my Grandpa bought it new.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 PM
chruby99
Junior User
I have a 90 CC with 460 5 spd and 4x4 34.5 tires and get 6mpg in town. I would expect less with them big tires and a C6.

My 88 7.3 C6 xlt had a tach and this 90 xlt and 5spd has a tach as well

Quick Reply: Please Weigh In With Advice on Purchase